Banana Blueberry Muffins

I try to make muffins every weekend so that we have something healthy to eat for breakfast during the week. This weekend I had some VERY ripe bananas and some leftover blueberries (from when I made the white chocolate-blueberry cupcakes). I found this recipe in my WW recipes and we love it. We both agreed it’s tied with the lemon berry muffins (recipe to come) for #1 for best muffin.

Banana blueberry Muffins – 2 WW pts – from www.prevention.com – serves 12
2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 c brown sugar – I used Splenda brown sugar mix
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup mashed bananas
4 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin (I used paper liners)

In a large bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda.

In a separate bowl, combine bananas, egg whites, and vanilla.

Mix the banana mixture into the flour mixture until smooth. Fold in blueberries.

Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.

Bake 16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Nutritional Information (please double check with your ingredients and serving sizes – I use this recipe calculator)
1 muffin: 129.6 Calories, 0.5 g Fat, 0.0 mg Cholesterol, 189.5 mg Sodium, 144.4 mg Potassium, 26.7 g Carbs, 3.1 g Dietary Fiber, 0.7 g Sugar, 4.0 g Protein
WW Pts – 2

Note – I am submitting this in Joelen’s Marvelous Muffins blogging event. Check out the details here.

11 Responses to “Spice Apple Bars”

Amanda — January 28, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I wish I could run home & bake these right now! They look so delicious & how could you go wrong with apples & cinnamon? I can’t wait to try these soon.

Katie — January 28, 2009 at 2:45 pm

They look so good! I LOOOVE the cute apple backround too! 🙂 🙂

Joelen — January 28, 2009 at 4:52 pm

These look great!

bensbaby116 — January 28, 2009 at 4:57 pm

I made these from Katie’s blog in the fall and took them to a school function. One of my student’s dads ate several of them. A few weeks later I made chocolate chip cookies because they’re usually a hit with everyone there, and the same dad was like “awww. where are those apple bars? I was hoping for those again.” 🙂 They are truly wonderful!

Jen — January 28, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I agree! These are amazing. I send baked goods with hubby about once a week and these got so many more comments than usual. I’m actually making them again this weekend.

Megan — January 29, 2009 at 4:15 am

I saw that recipe last year, and I wish I had made them. They look so good.

Julie — January 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Free manual labor in exchange for apple bars? Sounds like a deal to me. I’ll have to offer that up next time I have to call a plumber 🙂

Stephanie Wagner — February 17, 2009 at 12:22 am

Scott made these tonight and they were AMAZING! Seriously, AMAZING!

Amanda — February 23, 2009 at 4:59 pm

I made these this weekend….they were fantastic! At 10 last night Sam had to ask me “are you still eating that apple cake?” Yes. I was. I saved one more piece for after work today!

creativecarryout — February 26, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Oh, my dad would love these. I have an apple bread recipe that he always requests. I’ll bookmark this one to try too. Thanks.
    Michelle

Carly — April 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I made these yesterday and think they are fabulous! So gooey, but so much better the next day! Thankyou for sharing! =)