Banana Blueberry Muffins

I try to make muffins every weekend so that we have something healthy to eat for breakfast during the week. This weekend I had some VERY ripe bananas and some leftover blueberries (from when I made the white chocolate-blueberry cupcakes). I found this recipe in my WW recipes and we love it. We both agreed it’s tied with the lemon berry muffins (recipe to come) for #1 for best muffin.

Banana blueberry Muffins – 2 WW pts – from www.prevention.com – serves 12
2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 c brown sugar – I used Splenda brown sugar mix
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup mashed bananas
4 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin (I used paper liners)

In a large bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda.

In a separate bowl, combine bananas, egg whites, and vanilla.

Mix the banana mixture into the flour mixture until smooth. Fold in blueberries.

Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.

Bake 16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Nutritional Information (please double check with your ingredients and serving sizes – I use this recipe calculator)
1 muffin: 129.6 Calories, 0.5 g Fat, 0.0 mg Cholesterol, 189.5 mg Sodium, 144.4 mg Potassium, 26.7 g Carbs, 3.1 g Dietary Fiber, 0.7 g Sugar, 4.0 g Protein
WW Pts – 2

Note – I am submitting this in Joelen’s Marvelous Muffins blogging event. Check out the details here.

7 Responses to “Apple Slab”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — November 10, 2010 at 2:21 pm

You are my hero for emailing the hotline! I always assume that bakers like you and Megan know every trick to baking…but it weirdly comforts me that you get nervous sometimes too!

We Are Not Martha — November 10, 2010 at 4:30 pm

How cool! This is so unique and fun-looking. And I love that you contacted the KAF hotline… I’m definitely going to have to do that in the future!

Sues

Allison@KingArthurFlour — November 10, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Glad you used the hotline! I called it this weekend for a cake question. So helpful!

Happy baking season!

purple squirrel — November 11, 2010 at 12:39 am

These look great!
    Nice to check out your blog~ I’m just north of you, and it looks like your food choices lately are VERY similar to mine! Must be the “air” in New England! 🙂

Jen — November 11, 2010 at 3:16 am

Oh I totally have no shame in asking for help. Like I always say, I’m really good at following recipes, but the second I have to do something out of the ordinary, I get really nervous…

Nutmeg Nanny — November 15, 2010 at 8:10 pm

How nice to know they are there for help you out!

This dessert looks great. Perfect for Fall 🙂

Megan — November 17, 2010 at 8:05 pm

One of the many reasons I love KAF! I think this is a great thing to have in the freezer for last-minute company or planning ahead. I only wish I had seen it when I still had a surplus of apples!