Banana Blueberry Muffins

I try to make muffins every weekend so that we have something healthy to eat for breakfast during the week. This weekend I had some VERY ripe bananas and some leftover blueberries (from when I made the white chocolate-blueberry cupcakes). I found this recipe in my WW recipes and we love it. We both agreed it’s tied with the lemon berry muffins (recipe to come) for #1 for best muffin.

Banana blueberry Muffins – 2 WW pts – from www.prevention.com – serves 12
2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 c brown sugar – I used Splenda brown sugar mix
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup mashed bananas
4 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin (I used paper liners)

In a large bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda.

In a separate bowl, combine bananas, egg whites, and vanilla.

Mix the banana mixture into the flour mixture until smooth. Fold in blueberries.

Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.

Bake 16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Nutritional Information (please double check with your ingredients and serving sizes – I use this recipe calculator)
1 muffin: 129.6 Calories, 0.5 g Fat, 0.0 mg Cholesterol, 189.5 mg Sodium, 144.4 mg Potassium, 26.7 g Carbs, 3.1 g Dietary Fiber, 0.7 g Sugar, 4.0 g Protein
WW Pts – 2

Note – I am submitting this in Joelen’s Marvelous Muffins blogging event. Check out the details here.

9 Responses to “Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars”

newlywed — September 6, 2010 at 12:42 pm

As a teacher, I still get nervous for the first day of school! Same butterflies in my tummy I had for the first day of high school 🙂
    The look SO yummy, hope to try making them soon.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — September 6, 2010 at 2:21 pm

The flavor combination of PB&J always brings me back to my childhood. I loved the first day of school – new outfit, new backpack and school supplies…

Krystal — September 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Yum these look great Jen!! I totally agree on adding more jelly or jam to these…the ooey gooey of PB sticks to the roof of my mouth. Make sure to have milk if these bars are made! LOL

Ashley — September 6, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Tomorrow marks the first day of my eight year of teaching so I love your back to school post. I am bookmarking this recipe, love PB & J!

Boston Food Diary — September 7, 2010 at 1:40 am

I have been obsessed with peanut butter lately and these look simply amazing….even if I’m not headed back to school! Yum!

Eliana — September 7, 2010 at 3:22 am

These bars looks absolutely perfect.

My favorite part of going back to school was (and I know I’m a nerd for saying this) was using new school supplies. My mom always got us the best pens, pencils, folders, binders, erasers…you name it. And whipping them out the first week of class was the best feeling ever.

nutmegnanny — September 7, 2010 at 2:54 pm

This looks perfect for the back to school season! I’m a nanny so I know the little I watch would love to make these for herself and friends. I guess I know what we are doing tonight 🙂

Cupcake Activist — September 7, 2010 at 6:57 pm

This is very similar to my favorite workout bar–Clif Mojo Peanut Butter & Jelly. Maybe I can start saving money and make my own bars. Thanks!

We Are Not Martha — September 7, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I’ve made something similar before, but these look SO good my stomach is grumbling 🙂 Definitely bookmarking for soon! I miss the new outfits and seeing who’s in all your classes 🙂

Sues