New favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe

I’ve always been very loyal to the Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. Everytime I make them, it reminds me of the Friends episode when Monica makes like 30 batches of cookies to try to match the taste of Pheobe’s grandmother’s secret recipe. Then Pheobe says that her grandmother’s name is Nessley Toolhause. It’s quite funny, as most Friends episodes are.

I thought I’d give this recipe a try since it gets rave reviews on the WC board. Hubby and I both agree that these are our new favorite chocolate chip cookies recipe. They’re so soft and just perfect. We both took some to work and everyone else agreed that they were great.

Pudding Chocolate Chip Cookies (makes ~3.5 dozen)Original recipe from Joelen
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour – I use King Arthurs White Whole Wheat Flour 1 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cups packed brown sugar – I use Splenda Brown Sugar Baking Mix
1/4 cup white sugar
1 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix – I used French Vanilla
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips – I used 3/4 cup chocolate and 3/4 cup of the chocolate/carmel swirl chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be golden brown.

Nutritional Information: TBD

13 Responses to “Alton Brown’s “The Chewy””

Bridget — March 5, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Aren’t they the best? They’re so addicting. I’ve actually starting using the same ingredients, but mixing them like a more traditional chocolate chip cookie (i.e., softened butter instead of melted), because I like the dough better with softened butter. The baked cookies were just as good. Best of both worlds!

Laure — March 5, 2009 at 9:45 pm

These look gorgeous. Don’t you just love AB??? 🙂

Julie — March 6, 2009 at 4:06 am

The cookies look great. I love AB too..he’s such a dork (in a good way).

CoCo — March 6, 2009 at 5:50 am

I love the ATK/CI Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. I will have to try these to see what I think. I remember seeing that the recipes looked similar so I am sure I will love them.
    Another AB lover here. My husband gives me a hard time about my DVR list with him but loves it when I give him a fun tidbit or cook him something from AB.

Jen — March 6, 2009 at 1:34 pm

I completely agree CoCo. Hubby does the same thing. I sometimes even watch episodes I’ve seen before! Hubby doesn’t like to admit it, but he loves AB too. Sometimes he’ll be the one saying “AB says to do this…”

foodess — March 9, 2009 at 3:38 am

They look SO good!! I am a sucker for a chewy chocolate chip cookie. Although, I must side with your hubby – I prefer mine with just a bit of chocolate.

Naomi — March 9, 2009 at 6:46 am

How much is a stick of butter? I’m not in the US and have never come across this measurement before.

Jen — March 9, 2009 at 11:08 am

Sorry about that Naomi – 1 stick of butter = 8 Tbsp. Does that help?

Dani — March 9, 2009 at 11:46 am

this is very similar to the ccc recipe i use, but anything that makes it chewier is good in my books! i will have to keep this one in mind 🙂

Naomi — March 13, 2009 at 10:05 am

Yes Jen, thank you!

Allie — June 2, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Yum! I will definitely be trying these. I always chill my cookie dough too usually because I’m too busy with 3 little ones but I also read that article in the NY times awhile ago and I felt like I deserved a nice big pat on the back for always doing the 24hour chill 🙂 Great post and beautiful cookies!

Susan — June 23, 2015 at 4:41 pm

I love Alton Brown because of his scientific approach to cooking and baking. I’ve been baking “The Chewy” for years. One thing I do differently: Before chilling the dough, I scoop it into balls. This makes the process much easier. Sometimes I freeze the balls for baking later. After I place the balls on parchment, I carefully place a few extra chocolate morsels on top, pointy side up. This extra step produces picture-perfect cookies every time.

Desiree — July 2, 2016 at 1:56 am

The Chewy is my go to recipe for cookies. I make a few alterations, occasionally, such as substituting 1/4 of the brown sugar with dark brown sugar. I bake small portions in mini muffin tins; one batch makes 48 cookie bites that are super chewy and the perfect size bite. I’ve made them every year for Christmas gifts for a few years now.