Friday Faves – Hit the Bricks makes Buttermilk Biscuits

Hope everyone has had a pleasant week. I’m looking forward to the upcoming three day weekend. Marathon Monday (aka Patriots Day) is one of my favorite days of the year in Boston. Hubby and I always go cheer on the marathon runners at around mile 24 since it’s near our house. So this week’s Friday Fav is very fitting for a weekend where tons of runners flock to Boston. I met Michelle from Hit the Bricks last fall at Blogtoberfest. We hit it off and ended up being two of the last people to leave the event. Michelle blogs about running and her goal of finding balance in her life.

Hi everyone! I’m so excited to be a Friday Fav! I’m Michelle and I blog about a balanced life over at Hit the Bricks. Certain seasons remind me of certain baked goods. In the fall, its definitely pumpkin muffins. Spring is finally here, and with spring and summer come buttermilk biscuits in my house. I use this recipe from the Martha Stewart Baking Handbook. They’re quick and easy to whip together and go great with all the homemade jam that comes out at this time of year. Another thing I love about making these is that I usually have everything I need in my house, and you use cold butter, so you don’t have to worry about thinking ahead and letting it soften 😉

A quick note about buttermilk: I don’t use it. I don’t have anything against it, I just don’t use it enough to justify buying it. So I use a substitute. A tablespoon of vinegar, then add to how much milk you need. In thise case, 1 3/4 cups. Let it stand for 5 mins or so.

While that’s percolating, start the biscuits! Preheat your oven to 375. In a large bowl, whisk 4 cups flour, 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon sugar.

Cut up 2 sticks of cold butter into small pieces. Add it to the dry ingredients and cut in with a pastry blender. I’ve heard that the food processor, a couple of knives or two forks works well, but the pastry blender works best for me.

Work until the mixture is like coarse clumps with some larger clumps.

Then pour in the buttermilk and mix it in with a rubber spatula until all the crumbs are incorporated… don’t overmix it.

Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and with flour on your fingers, pat it into a round about 1 inch thick.

Then cut into rounds. This recipe calls for a 2 1/4 inch round biscuit cutter, but I use mugs, pint glasses, etc.

Place them on an unlined baking sheet and brush the tops with some leftover buttermilk. Bake them for 18-20 minutes, rotating halfway through, until they are slightly golden brown. Put them on a wire rack to cool.

Sometimes I have my biscuits with butter, sometimes with jam, but I always warm them up… and they’re always delicious.

Be sure to check out all of my favorite bloggers as they are featured on Friday Favs!

17 Responses to “Friday Faves – The Small Boston Kitchen makes Cranberry Risotto Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms”

Lauren — January 7, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I’m not a huge mushroom fan, but the cranberry risotto sounds absolutely fantastic! Thanks for the idea, Katie :).

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 7, 2011 at 2:51 pm

What a great recipe Katie!

Daisy — January 7, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I am in awe of your description of mushrooms. that recipe is awesome and so is the idea to cook them in butter and red wine! if non mushroom lovers are not converted after this post, there is no help for them!!

Erica — January 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Jennifer — January 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I am a huge mushroom lover. This recipe sounds wonderful!

In and Around Town — January 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I am a HUGE fan of mushrooms, I put them in everything! This will probably be dinner tonight!

Sarah from 20somethingcupcakes — January 7, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I’m definitely with you in the first camp, though I will tell you – I’ve converted the boyfriend into a semi-mushroom lover, so maybe there is a person who lies a bit in between after all! This looks heavenly.

Smitten Sugar — January 7, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I am definitely not a mushroom lover but this recipe looks amazing!

Megan — January 7, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Katie can make these for me anytime! Great recipe and great guest post!

Josie — January 7, 2011 at 7:00 pm

OMG this combines so many of my favorite things into one dish! I’ve already added it to next week’s menu. Thanks so much for introducing me to a fun new blog!

Melissa — January 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I’m on the verge of being a mushroom lover – when raw the texture creeps me out but I’ve discovered I love the flavor and like them when cooked. I would love to eat this dish!

kitchenmisfit — January 7, 2011 at 11:58 pm

It is bad that I thought the sneak peak picture looked like mashed potatoes? That can only mean the risotto must be extra creamy!

kitchenmisfit — January 7, 2011 at 11:59 pm

It is bad that I thought the sneak peak picture looked like mashed potatoes? I think that just means this risotto must be extra creamy!

The Small Boston Kitchen — January 8, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Thanks Jen for including me in your Friday Faves and for saying such nice things about my writing! This dish was fun to make and was really good on a cold winter night. Thanks all for the comments! Even those from the mushroom haters 🙂

Maris (In Good Taste) — January 8, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Aren’t portobello mushrooms the best? So many different things you can do with them!

John at BOS — January 9, 2011 at 2:14 am

What more Can I say, a combination of my favorite ingredients… Mushroom and risotto! It’s nice to see a lot of mushroom recipe’s this past few days.

Kerstin — January 10, 2011 at 5:03 am

What a creative recipe, I love it! Definitely the perfect way to kick off your cool Friday Favs feature 🙂