Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake Truffles

Sometimes even I can’t get rid of an entire cake. I guess it’s partially my fault because I don’t like to take a more-than-half-eaten cake to work. I have my quirks, what can I say.

That amazing Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake that I posted a few weeks ago fell into this predicament. We enjoyed it at a family dinner over at my brother’s house and Z had a piece before leaving Boston, but then there it was, 1/4 of the cake sitting in our fridge just staring at me every time I opened the door. Don’t get me wrong, Hubby and I would have worked our way through the rest of it, but I decided I wanted to try something. I told Hubby about the idea and he didn’t like it one bit.

I threw the rest of the cake straight into my mixer and gave it a whirl. Then I made cake balls just like many of us have done many times in the past. I froze the cake/cheesecake/frosting balls for a while before dipping them in some chocolate. I added the red swirl just for fun using a candy melts pen.

Once the chocolate set up, I gave one to Hubby to see if his original feelings about this idea still held. As usual, I had proven him wrong. By dipping bits of the cake in chocolate, the over-the-top cake became even more over the top. But, by making them small bites, it took away the feeling of over-indulging.

This method will work for any cake or cupcakes you have sitting around that you want to jazz up. I also enjoy that once they’re dipped, they freeze really well.

One Year Ago: Our Kitchen Backsplash
Two Years Ago: White Chocolate Cranberry Cupcakes and Apple Cake

22 Responses to “Carrot Cake and Cheesecake Cake”

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — April 13, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Give me a moment to compose myself… ok. This is the cake that my dreams are made of! Carrot cake and cheesecake are my two favorite cakes, so combine them into one amazing dessert, and I’m in total bliss. It looks phenomenal, and I would dominate a big slice ;).

lms — July 13, 2011 at 4:16 pm

This cake was phenomenal!!!!! I have now made 3 versions and I think the carrot was the best. Everyone raved over it and we all thought it was better the 2nd day! YUM is an understatement!

Matt — January 27, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I’m confused, how did the become a red velvet cake during the assembly?

• beantownbaker — January 27th, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

That was a typo in the recipe since this was based on the red velvet cheesecake cake that I had made. I fixed it. Hope that helps.

Chewy — March 29, 2013 at 11:19 am

Do i have to put the cheesecake pan in a roaster with water? I dont have a roaster? Before I purchase one I thought Id ask. Ive made many cheesecakes in the past and never did this

Thanks

• beantownbaker — April 1st, 2013 @ 8:35 am

Yes, you are using a water bath to bake the cheesecake. So the water should come up about half way on the side of the pan that the cheesecake is in. I usually use a disposable roasting pan since I don’t have a roaster either. Hope that helps.

Sarah Ross — March 31, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Just made this for Easter and everyone loved it.. Thank you

• beantownbaker — April 1st, 2013 @ 8:36 am

Glad it was a success for you. This is a great Easter cake.

Brandi — March 31, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I made this for Easter today as well, and it was great, everyone said so. I couldn’t eat much, it’s SO thick and rich. I don’t think it would have been half as great without the cheesecake. LOVE that and what a super easy recipe for the cheesecake.

The cake was quite a bit more work than I am used to, and I had to change a few things up based on what I had, in cae this helps anyone else…

I didn’t have brown sugar, subbed coconut palm sugar.

I used toasted almonds instead of pecans and was pleasantly surprised that I actually like them when toasted, as I don’t normally like them at all, they were so light and crispy.

I do not have a stand mixer, I used my Ninja blender with the whipping cream attachement (I didn’t know that it would work but it worked just fine!)

My food processor is broke and couldn’t find my grater, so I used my blender for the carrots, worked just fine.

I skipped the parchment paper bc I was out and that was no biggie.

The cake looked picture perfect and tasted amazing, no complaints here. Thank you!!!

• beantownbaker — April 1st, 2013 @ 8:37 am

So glad this worked out for you. Thanks for coming back and posting the changes you made. I am sure they will be helpful for other readers.

Toasted almonds are one of my favorite nuts! What a great substitution.

Joann — July 21, 2013 at 3:49 pm

How many people will this feed? It is a combo of my two favorite things so I want to make it for a Bunco group.

• beantownbaker — July 21st, 2013 @ 3:51 pm

It will easily serve 12-16

Amy — October 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I made this for my mom’s 60th birthday and everyone loved it. My dad announced that it was his favorite cake ever, so…I’m about to go buy the ingredients to make it again for HIS 60th next week 🙂 Thanks!

• beantownbaker — October 15th, 2013 @ 5:02 pm

Wow! Now that’s a compliment! So glad everyone enjoyed it 🙂

Sarah — December 10, 2013 at 11:33 am

Hey there!

Wonderful recipe 🙂 just curious, when you assembled the cake, is the top layer bottom side up, or right side up? Did you trim the rounded top off?

Thanks!

• beantownbaker — December 10th, 2013 @ 4:56 pm

If I remember correctly, my layers came out pretty flat. If they were round, I would trim the top off. I always put the top layer upside down when I’m stacking a layer cake.

Robin — April 24, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Made this for Easter, for my husband’s side of the family. Perfect cake recipe! Takes time to make, but nothing difficult. Turned out beautifully and tasted wonderful. I didn’t tell anyone about the cheesecake layer, so when I cut the first piece everyone was just thrilled to see that middle layer. The cake is a feast for both the eyes and the palate. It also travels well, which is a bonus for a 3-layer cake. I will make this cake again, and again, and again. Thanks!!!

• beantownbaker — April 27th, 2014 @ 2:46 pm

So glad you enjoyed it!!

Anndrea — January 29, 2016 at 3:08 am

Just tried to make this… and I am curious if other people who had success used the volume or weight measures??
    I used the weight and was quite precise BUT the cake is now seemingly exploding in my oven.. I am thinking some of the ounces are wrong but am not sure. (I have checked the recipe about 5 times to make sure i measured correctly too…)
    Quite disappointed but hopefully I can still salvage something from it.

Margaret Jimenez — March 26, 2016 at 8:22 am

hi! I wanted to make this for Easter tmrw..but I only have 10″ pans..both for the cheesecake & cake..can u PLEASE help me w/ the adjustments? I tried googling it, but it’s just not happening & I WANT to make this recipe..it has 5 stars! THANK U, THANK U!

Margaret Jimenez — March 26, 2016 at 8:24 am

what I left out, was, I don’t want my cakes to be thin..I LOVE/prefer a high cake 🙂

Lani — September 22, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Hello! Will the cheesecake tend to soften and tilt or sink in if it’s in a slightly warm environment or if I make it into a 5-6″ layer cake? I’m thinking of having one cake layer at the bottom, then the cheesecake, then the rest of the 2-4 layers cake layers. I am wondering if the cake will hold (with the cheesecake layer) if I put a center dowel?