Operation Baking Gals – Round 15 is open for Registration!!

It’s that time again everyone! Time to make a real difference by BAKING! I did my first Operation Baking Gals earlier in the year and co-hosted a team recently where we sent baked goods to a friend of mine from High School.

Heather from Heather Drive and I are teaming up again this round to bake for a husband and wife team who are both stationed in Iraq in different units. Thanks so much to a fellow Beantown Baker reader for sending me their information!

Brian and Rebecca were married this past Valentine’s Day and are currently in Iraq on a 18 month deployment!

If you’ve never heard of Operation Baking Gals, check out the website. Basically, a team of bakers get together to send goodies to soldiers stationed overseas. Even non-bakers sign up in the fun to send care packages. Then the soldier being sponsored by a team shares all their goodies with his/her buddies. The shipping dates for Round 15 are Dec 1-16 so the goodies will arrive in time for the holidays.

If you’d like to join us,
1) go to http://www.bakinggals.com/ and Log In or Create a New Account
2) go to Join a Round 15 Team
3) join Team Beantown Baker to bake for Rebecca (if the team is full at 20 people signed up, please consider signing up for Rebecca’s husband Brian by joining Team Heather Drive)
4) wait for an email with the shipping address

If you have any questions, check out the Operation Baking Gals FAQ page.

Also check this out.

You can get a special flat rate box from the US Post Office. The boxes are FREE and you can ship the box with anything in it for a flat rate of $11.95. They are specifically for APO/FPO addresses and say “America Supports You” on them. How cool is that!

I hope you can join us. If you know a soldier who would love some love from back home, let us know about that as well! If you have any questions, feel free to email me!

13 Responses to “My first Operation Baking Gals!”

Amy Kingman — February 20, 2009 at 3:29 pm

That’s really cool! Thanks for sharing the info. 😀

Carrie — February 20, 2009 at 4:26 pm

I did OBG last fall and enjoyed it I need to sign up again.

Jess — February 20, 2009 at 4:42 pm

thank you so much for doing this, my husband just got back from 15 months deployed!

A have a quick tip for ya- since some of the soldiers are a ways out and their mail takes sometimes 4 weeks to get there, put a piece of bread (i wrapped mine in parchment paper) in with the cookies to keep them from going stale!

Jen — February 20, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Thanks for the tip Jess. I followed the instructions on the OBG website that said that bread can sometimes mold, so instead use some apple peel. So I put some apple peel between the paper towels on the top and bottom of each container.

~Kimberly — February 20, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Great post! Thanks for sharing all the info! I hope you join us again next round! I checked with my husband about the condition of the cookies he’s been receiving. It’s been taking about a week or so to get them, and he said they all have been so fresh! They have a “community” table in the hallway and he says the homebaked goodies disappear in a flash! They are all very appreciative! Thanks again for baking! I’m craving your cookies right now!!!

Joelen — February 20, 2009 at 5:50 pm

How thoughtful of you! Your cookies all look delicious and I’m sure they will appreciate all the effort you put into them!

Jen — February 20, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Thanks! I definitely plan on doing it again. Next time I probably won’t send quite as many cookies. It did end up costing quite a bit more than I expected. That’s what I get for sending 20 dozen cookies I guess…

Sara Therese — February 20, 2009 at 9:32 pm

What a great way to show your support and share your talents. High five to you!

Suzy — February 20, 2009 at 11:14 pm

How thoughtful of you! I used to do this for Desert Storm, and would pack it in popcorn. Just a thought.
    Keep it Sweet,

Laura P. — February 21, 2009 at 12:29 am

just wanted to thank you for doing this…my husband served in Iraq for 16 months (yes you read that right). He said that receiving packages means the world to them. It will be much appreciated!

DeborahSW — February 21, 2009 at 2:54 am

What a wonderful thing to do! I bet the lucky soldier will appreciate a little sweet treat from home. 🙂

Soli Deo Gloria — February 21, 2009 at 6:00 am

You have such a generous heart! I am sure these lovely cookies will be appreciated! 🙂

Stephanie Wagner — February 22, 2009 at 5:45 pm

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!