Creme Brulee Cupcakes

For Hubby’s birthday, I told him I’d make a treat for him to take in to work. As I’ve mentioned before, his favorite dessert is creme brulee. I’ve made it twice for him already. But, creme brulee doesn’t travel to work very well. So instead, I gave him a list of 10 desserts that are at the top of my must-bake list.

When I added this recipe as the last option for him, I knew there was no point in even giving him the list. Sure enough, he chose his favorite dessert in cupcake form for his birthday treat.

I have to admit that I’m very glad he chose this recipe, because it’s amazing. The cupcakes really do taste like creme brulee. I made the cupcakes and frosting the night before his birthday and then we torched them in the morning before heading to work. Hubby said they only lasted about 10 minutes in the kitchen at work.

The other great thing about these cupcakes is that I found my new favorite way to frost a cupcake. I just loved how the cupcakes looked with a good portion of the cake peaking out, but there still being plenty of frosting. I decided at that point that I will be frosting cupcakes like this again (as I did for my Red Velvet cupcakes).

As a side note, for those of you who know, Hubby’s birthday is in February. This post is going up in April. I tend to do this unless there is a deadline for a blogging event. When I make something to be blogged, I add the pictures, recipe and link to the original source, then save it as a draft. Then on some random day, I go back and finish up the post and set it to publish at some point in the future. So on an evening like tonight, I can bust out about 10 posts while Hubby plays video games with his buddy. Then if I don’t have time to write blog posts for another month, it’s ok.

Creme Brulee Cupcakes – Adapted from Clara, originally from How to Eat a Cupcake
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch for the egg whites
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 cup milk – I used 1/4 c water + 3/4 c heavy cream
3 tablespoons caramel syrup – I used Smuckers ice cream topping
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together and set aside. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Alternately beat in dry ingredients and milk.

Add caramel syrup and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff but not dry. Gently fold whites into batter.

Spoon batter into cupcake papers, filling cups about 2/3 full. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool.

Brown sugar swiss meringue buttercream
1 cup light brown sugar
4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

Put sugar, egg whites and salt into the top of a double boiler over a pan of simmering water. Whisking constantly, cook until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm (about 160 degrees). Pour heated egg whites into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat egg white mixture on high speed until it forms stiff (but not dry) peaks. Continue beating until fluffy and cooled, about 7 minutes total.

Switch to the paddle attachment. With mixer on medium-low, add butter two tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Increase speed to medium-high; continue beating until frosting appears thick, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and continue beating 1 minute to reduce air bubbles.

To assemble cupcakes
Remove center of cupcake using the cone method. Fill cupcake with buttercream. Sprinkle brown sugar on top and caramelize with creme brulee torch.

I’m entering this in Joelen’s Tasty Tools event for April. She’s featuring muffin pans this month!

31 Responses to “Kentucky Butter Cake”

Megan — May 1, 2013 at 7:04 am

This sounds amazing! I’d be shocked if the people you manage don’t think you’re the best boss ever!

• beantownbaker — May 1st, 2013 @ 7:56 am

Ha, I’m ok with bribing them with baked goods into feeling that way 🙂

Eva @ Eva Bakes — May 1, 2013 at 7:40 am

I wish my boss would do something like this for us. This cake sounds phenomenal! Anything that tastes like a donut gets an A+ from me!

• beantownbaker — May 1st, 2013 @ 7:57 am

I had a boss once who would bring a store bought cake and cut it into the same number of pieces as there were people at the meeting. And he made us sing. It was horrible.

Erica @ In and Around Town — May 1, 2013 at 8:38 am

Definitely the best boss when you get homemade cakes that have been compared to a glazed donut! Congrats!!

• beantownbaker — May 1st, 2013 @ 9:05 am

Thanks 🙂 I am pretty lucky in that my team is pretty awesome too.

Tracy {Pale Yellow} — May 1, 2013 at 11:03 am

Congratulations on the promotion! Your team sounds lucky to have you and this cake looks gorgeous!

Jill — May 1, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Congratulations on the promotion!! This looks and sounds delicious!

chelsea @ serves two — May 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm

oh my! a giant glazed donut in cake form??!! yes please! i am sort of curious though as to why it’s called a kentucky butter cake 🙂

• beantownbaker — May 2nd, 2013 @ 9:04 am

I have no idea why it’s called Kentucky butter cake. I did a quick Google search and it doesn’t look like anyone knows.

Sarah C — May 2, 2013 at 10:06 am

I’m glad there’s no explanation as to why it’s called a Kentucky Butter Cake, because I am making this for a themed food fest at work next week, and I’m changing it to Hawaiian Butter Cake so that I don’t have to find another recipe. 🙂

• beantownbaker — May 2nd, 2013 @ 12:07 pm

I like the way you work 🙂

Kathy — May 2, 2013 at 10:50 am

The staff meeting treat sounds like a regular monthly blog post…cant wait to see what is on deck next month

• beantownbaker — May 2nd, 2013 @ 12:08 pm

For sure! I have already started asking my team members who have May birthdays about what they’d like. One said anything with chocolate. One said anything but chocolate. So that’s going to be a challenge! Luckily I’m the only June birthday so I’m going to go all out for June!

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — May 2, 2013 at 11:38 am

Ever seen The Office? Hehe… they looove birthday parties! And that’s so sweet that you’re acknowledging your workers like that. I’m sure you’re a great boss!

• beantownbaker — May 2nd, 2013 @ 12:08 pm

Ha – if only we could all have parties like they do on The Office…

Shannon — May 2, 2013 at 2:48 pm

best boss ever 🙂 this looks fantastic!! we have birthday buddies that we bring cake for, and it’s a pretty awesome tradition 🙂

• beantownbaker — May 2nd, 2013 @ 4:13 pm

Oh I like the birthday buddies idea! I’m not sure that would work for my team since it’s ~80% guys… I do joke that everyone needs a buddy cause sometimes I look around and can’t tell who we’re missing. It would be a lot easier to just ask if everyone’s buddy was here like when we were kids on field trips.

Brooke Schweers — May 3, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Yum! Looks devine! Such a perfect looking cake and the glaze makes it look extra shiny and pretty!

Nutmeg Nanny — May 4, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Oh, this is such a perfect looking cake 🙂

Laura Dembowski — May 5, 2013 at 11:13 am

Oh, I so want a slice of this! Love cakes that are soaked with syrup. So yummy!

Angie — May 6, 2013 at 3:23 pm

i made this on Friday for a brunch on Saturday. It was delicious and I got lots of compliments! I was surprised when i made it because there were no instructions about adding the butter to the batter. I assumed that the butter should be softened and mixed in, but I would’ve expected it to be mixed in earlier so that it would incorporate more fully. You might consider adding clarification to that step.

• beantownbaker — May 6th, 2013 @ 5:46 pm

Glad you enjoyed the cake. The second sentence in the second step talks about adding the butter. Are the instructions confusing?

ErinsFoodFiles — May 6, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I think I’ve seen this recipe elsewhere on the interwebs… (of course my eye is drawn to anything Kentucky, my home state!) Glad to hear it’s so good!

• beantownbaker — May 6th, 2013 @ 5:47 pm

It’s definitely out there on the web! I couldn’t find any info about why it’s called Kentucky Butter Cake though. Do you know anything about it? Do you guys eat it in Kentucky?

claire — May 10, 2013 at 2:11 pm

So the glaze is on the bottom of the cake correct? You don’t reserve any to pour over the top?

• beantownbaker — May 13th, 2013 @ 8:24 am

Yep, you pour it all in to the bottom of the cake while it’s in the pan.

Maggie Wells — September 9, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Hi there! Wonderful cake. Just wondering — did you let the cake sit overnight with the syrup soaking?

• beantownbaker — September 10th, 2013 @ 7:58 am

Yep, I let the cake sit overnight after adding the syrup.