My first Operation Baking Gals!

Hubby and I have been wanting to get more into community service. When we lived in Ohio, we used to do community service on a very regular basis. We both feel it’s important to give back. Since moving to Beantown, we’ve fallen off that wagon and we recently got the itch to get back on. I’m looking into multiple ways to give back, including participating in Operation Baking Gals.

If you don’t know what OBP is all about, definitely go check out the website. Basically, a team of bakers send packages to one service member who is currently out of the country. Since that service member will be getting TONS of stuff, he/she can share it with others.

Now I’m not going to get all political here. After all, this is a food blog. But, I will say that no matter what you views on the wars we’re in right now, there’s no reason not to support the troops fighting in those wars. So consider joining a team for OBP and do like I am – using my love of baking for the good of someone else.

I joined team Ugly Angel. Our soldier is Captain “Doober” Turner, the husband of our team captain Kim! (Check out her blog here.) They have 3 small children and another on the way. And, one of the reasons I chose this team is because he’s a CH-53D pilot. I won’t go into details here, but the engines on that helicopter have something to do with my day job…

And now on to the package. I had a super baking day while Hubby was off snowboarding with friends. It was a blast. I got all of my cookie dough made, and baked about 18 dozen cookies. The last 8 dozen were baked the next day.

I made double batches of 3 kinds of cookies. I followed the instructions on the OBG website about how to package them and how to fill out the post office forms.

For the package, I made Alton Brown’s “The Chewy” (double batch yielded 8 dozen cookies)…

some Oatmeal Raisin cookies – Captain Turners’s favorite (double batch yielded 8 dozen cookies)…

and Lumberjacks – Hubby’s favorite (double batch yielded 9.5 dozen cookies).

I didn’t end up shipping 26 dozen cookies because Hubby and I ate quite a few and I saved some Lumberjacks for him. But I think I shipped about 20 dozen cookies! I really hope the recipients enjoy them.

If you are interested in participating in the next round of OBG, check out the website and sign up. I will definitely be doing this again. Also, be sure to check out Kim’s blog for a round up of the Ugly Angel’s Team.

13 Responses to “My first Operation Baking Gals!”

Amy Kingman — February 20, 2009 at 3:29 pm

That’s really cool! Thanks for sharing the info. :D

Carrie — February 20, 2009 at 4:26 pm

I did OBG last fall and enjoyed it I need to sign up again.

Jess — February 20, 2009 at 4:42 pm

thank you so much for doing this, my husband just got back from 15 months deployed!

A have a quick tip for ya- since some of the soldiers are a ways out and their mail takes sometimes 4 weeks to get there, put a piece of bread (i wrapped mine in parchment paper) in with the cookies to keep them from going stale!

Jen — February 20, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Thanks for the tip Jess. I followed the instructions on the OBG website that said that bread can sometimes mold, so instead use some apple peel. So I put some apple peel between the paper towels on the top and bottom of each container.

~Kimberly — February 20, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Great post! Thanks for sharing all the info! I hope you join us again next round! I checked with my husband about the condition of the cookies he’s been receiving. It’s been taking about a week or so to get them, and he said they all have been so fresh! They have a “community” table in the hallway and he says the homebaked goodies disappear in a flash! They are all very appreciative! Thanks again for baking! I’m craving your cookies right now!!!

Joelen — February 20, 2009 at 5:50 pm

How thoughtful of you! Your cookies all look delicious and I’m sure they will appreciate all the effort you put into them!

Jen — February 20, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Thanks! I definitely plan on doing it again. Next time I probably won’t send quite as many cookies. It did end up costing quite a bit more than I expected. That’s what I get for sending 20 dozen cookies I guess…

Sara Therese — February 20, 2009 at 9:32 pm

What a great way to show your support and share your talents. High five to you!

Suzy — February 20, 2009 at 11:14 pm

How thoughtful of you! I used to do this for Desert Storm, and would pack it in popcorn. Just a thought.
    Keep it Sweet,
    Suzy

Laura P. — February 21, 2009 at 12:29 am

just wanted to thank you for doing this…my husband served in Iraq for 16 months (yes you read that right). He said that receiving packages means the world to them. It will be much appreciated!

DeborahSW — February 21, 2009 at 2:54 am

What a wonderful thing to do! I bet the lucky soldier will appreciate a little sweet treat from home. :)

Soli Deo Gloria — February 21, 2009 at 6:00 am

You have such a generous heart! I am sure these lovely cookies will be appreciated! :)

Stephanie Wagner — February 22, 2009 at 5:45 pm

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!