Tastes Like Christmas

Isn’t it weird how some food make you think of a certain time of year. No matter what the weather is like, that taste takes you back to some other time and memory.

That is what happened with hubby and I ate these cupcakes. They taste like Christmas. We both said it after the first bite. I was somewhat surprised because the cookbook has a gingerbread cupcake recipe in it and I thought that would taste like Christmas and these wouldn’t, but they do. They are very good though!

Spice Cupcakes – 5 WW PTS with frosting (from Crazy about Cupcakes) makes 12
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup boiling water
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour – I use King Arthurs White Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat over to 350F. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.

In a small bowl combine the molasses and boiling water. Set aside.

In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Add the egg to the creamed mixture. Beat well.

In a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients.

Beat the flour mixture into the creamed mixture, alternating with the molasses mixture. Beat well after each addition.

Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.

Cream Cheese Frosting (cheat version)
Mix 8 oz cream cheese with a tub of store-bought vanilla frosting.

Nutritional Information (please double check with your ingredients and serving sizes – I use this recipe calculator)
Cupcake: 142.7 Calories, 4.6g Fat, 28.1 mg Cholesterol, 213 mg Sodium, 209.4 mg Potassium, 22.8 g Carbs, 1.6 g Dietary Fiber, 12.3 g Sugar, 2.4 g Protein
Frosting: 67.2 Calories, 3.1g Fat, 3.3 mg Cholesterol, 56.9 mg Sodium, 4.4 mg Potassium, 9.1 g Carbs, 0 g Dietary Fiber, 8.5 g Sugar, 0.7 g Protein

31 Responses to “Kentucky Butter Cake”

Megan — May 1, 2013 at 7:04 am

This sounds amazing! I’d be shocked if the people you manage don’t think you’re the best boss ever!

• beantownbaker — May 1st, 2013 @ 7:56 am

Ha, I’m ok with bribing them with baked goods into feeling that way 🙂

Eva @ Eva Bakes — May 1, 2013 at 7:40 am

I wish my boss would do something like this for us. This cake sounds phenomenal! Anything that tastes like a donut gets an A+ from me!

• beantownbaker — May 1st, 2013 @ 7:57 am

I had a boss once who would bring a store bought cake and cut it into the same number of pieces as there were people at the meeting. And he made us sing. It was horrible.

Erica @ In and Around Town — May 1, 2013 at 8:38 am

Definitely the best boss when you get homemade cakes that have been compared to a glazed donut! Congrats!!

• beantownbaker — May 1st, 2013 @ 9:05 am

Thanks 🙂 I am pretty lucky in that my team is pretty awesome too.

Tracy {Pale Yellow} — May 1, 2013 at 11:03 am

Congratulations on the promotion! Your team sounds lucky to have you and this cake looks gorgeous!

Jill — May 1, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Congratulations on the promotion!! This looks and sounds delicious!

chelsea @ serves two — May 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm

oh my! a giant glazed donut in cake form??!! yes please! i am sort of curious though as to why it’s called a kentucky butter cake 🙂

• beantownbaker — May 2nd, 2013 @ 9:04 am

I have no idea why it’s called Kentucky butter cake. I did a quick Google search and it doesn’t look like anyone knows.

Sarah C — May 2, 2013 at 10:06 am

I’m glad there’s no explanation as to why it’s called a Kentucky Butter Cake, because I am making this for a themed food fest at work next week, and I’m changing it to Hawaiian Butter Cake so that I don’t have to find another recipe. 🙂

• beantownbaker — May 2nd, 2013 @ 12:07 pm

I like the way you work 🙂

Kathy — May 2, 2013 at 10:50 am

The staff meeting treat sounds like a regular monthly blog post…cant wait to see what is on deck next month

• beantownbaker — May 2nd, 2013 @ 12:08 pm

For sure! I have already started asking my team members who have May birthdays about what they’d like. One said anything with chocolate. One said anything but chocolate. So that’s going to be a challenge! Luckily I’m the only June birthday so I’m going to go all out for June!

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — May 2, 2013 at 11:38 am

Ever seen The Office? Hehe… they looove birthday parties! And that’s so sweet that you’re acknowledging your workers like that. I’m sure you’re a great boss!

• beantownbaker — May 2nd, 2013 @ 12:08 pm

Ha – if only we could all have parties like they do on The Office…

Shannon — May 2, 2013 at 2:48 pm

best boss ever 🙂 this looks fantastic!! we have birthday buddies that we bring cake for, and it’s a pretty awesome tradition 🙂

• beantownbaker — May 2nd, 2013 @ 4:13 pm

Oh I like the birthday buddies idea! I’m not sure that would work for my team since it’s ~80% guys… I do joke that everyone needs a buddy cause sometimes I look around and can’t tell who we’re missing. It would be a lot easier to just ask if everyone’s buddy was here like when we were kids on field trips.

Brooke Schweers — May 3, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Yum! Looks devine! Such a perfect looking cake and the glaze makes it look extra shiny and pretty!

Nutmeg Nanny — May 4, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Oh, this is such a perfect looking cake 🙂

Laura Dembowski — May 5, 2013 at 11:13 am

Oh, I so want a slice of this! Love cakes that are soaked with syrup. So yummy!

Angie — May 6, 2013 at 3:23 pm

i made this on Friday for a brunch on Saturday. It was delicious and I got lots of compliments! I was surprised when i made it because there were no instructions about adding the butter to the batter. I assumed that the butter should be softened and mixed in, but I would’ve expected it to be mixed in earlier so that it would incorporate more fully. You might consider adding clarification to that step.

• beantownbaker — May 6th, 2013 @ 5:46 pm

Glad you enjoyed the cake. The second sentence in the second step talks about adding the butter. Are the instructions confusing?

ErinsFoodFiles — May 6, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I think I’ve seen this recipe elsewhere on the interwebs… (of course my eye is drawn to anything Kentucky, my home state!) Glad to hear it’s so good!

• beantownbaker — May 6th, 2013 @ 5:47 pm

It’s definitely out there on the web! I couldn’t find any info about why it’s called Kentucky Butter Cake though. Do you know anything about it? Do you guys eat it in Kentucky?

claire — May 10, 2013 at 2:11 pm

So the glaze is on the bottom of the cake correct? You don’t reserve any to pour over the top?

• beantownbaker — May 13th, 2013 @ 8:24 am

Yep, you pour it all in to the bottom of the cake while it’s in the pan.

Maggie Wells — September 9, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Hi there! Wonderful cake. Just wondering — did you let the cake sit overnight with the syrup soaking?

• beantownbaker — September 10th, 2013 @ 7:58 am

Yep, I let the cake sit overnight after adding the syrup.