Fotography Friday

…Nothing like getting this in at the last possible moment…

As you may have noticed, I’ve been trying to make time for photography in my life. This hobby has a hard time competing with my love of baking. BUT, luckily this blog brings both of those hobbies together into one. I like to think that my new *in April* Nikon D40 DSLR camera has helped my food photography this year. Or just the fact that I’ve made a conscience effort to learn to take better pictures. I’ve taken a couple classes and added quite a few photography blogs to my Google Reader.

Sometime last summer, I was talking with CB (of I heart Food 4 Thought) about cameras. If I remember correctly, she posted something on her blog about cameras or food pictures… So we talked about DSLRs and food photography. Now that she has a DSLR too (a Sony A200), we were talking about trying to learn how to use these dang things without just reading the manual from cover to cover. We decided to take it in small steps and learn together.

If you recall, Steph and Amy started Photo Week which just encourages anyone to get out there and use your camera more, the idea with Fotography Friday is to actually take an advanced topic (that may or may not be available in a P&S) and dig into when the details of these advanced machines that we have. Basically, we’ll pick a topic the first Friday of the month. Then we’ll both do our own research and play around with the topic. Then we’ll post about it before the next topic is revealed. Feel free to join us on our journey. You can post on any Friday throughout the month, or every Friday during the month. Participate as much or little as you’d like. Like I said, the topics may or may not be suited for your camera, but feel free to join and take any interpretation of the topic you want.

Now that you get the idea, here’s the first topic:

This topic was motivated by the fact that the days are just TOO SHORT to get any food photographs with natural light (Rule #1 for food photography). I have to admit that I do try to save my baking for the weekends so I can get some good pictures in natural lighting… Or sometimes I save a couple cookies until the weekend just to get a good picture of them. Now we all know it is possible to use the flash and not have everything washed out. It’s possible and in the next month I’m determined to understand how to do it with my camera.

One other thing. I’m double dipping on this. I plan to read through my D40 manual through this blogging event so that I can mark another thing off my list before my next birthday!

If you have a topic you’d like to see in Fotography Friday, please email me.

8 Responses to “My Top 10 List!”

Michelle — June 30, 2009 at 11:54 pm

How awesome that you were on Leno! Are we allowed to ask what you were on for? I love your list and am raising two hands to vote for the Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake. I made it last fall ( and it is simply to die for. You won’t be sorry!!

Michelle — June 30, 2009 at 11:54 pm

Um yeah, totally meant Letterman. ::slaps forehead:: I’m sleepy 😉

annieseats — July 1, 2009 at 1:47 am

What a cool blog event! I wish I had known about it before today, so I could participate. Is it a monthly thing? If so, I’m definitely in next time!

Jen — July 1, 2009 at 3:13 am

Michelle – I was the co-captain of a Rube Goldberg team (think of the game mouse trap but on a HUGE scale) in college. In 2003, Purdue won the national competition and they got us on the Letterman show. I was the “spokesperson” for the team and we had our machine on stage. It was an awesome experience. I’ve been trying to find pictures, but that was pre-digital camera for me so I can’t find any…

Annie – I believe it is a monthly event. I think she started it in May…

Ali — July 8, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Thanks for the link to my site! I hope you try out the Chocolate Goat Cheese Truffles if you are a goat cheese fan. They were so delish.

Sweetie — July 9, 2009 at 11:44 am

yay for the best bookmarks ever! we have similar taste i guess bc i got some great ideas from this post and i’ve done some on your list. two quick notes on these bookmarks:

1) do the bagels at smitten kitchen. the cinna. raisin rock and it’s so rewarding to spend that much time and yield awesome results. i’m a new baker and it wasn’t very hard to do. definitely add the maple syrup or molasses to the water when you boil the bagels. dole makes plump raisins and they rock.
    2) billy’s cupcakes will be your answer to vanilla cupcakes forever! i had issues with overflow so i’d reduce the baking powder from 3t (=1T) to 2.5 tsp.

Jen — July 9, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Thanks for the tips Sweetie

McWalker — July 12, 2009 at 9:08 pm

OMG thanks for the shout-out!!! 🙂 where the HECK have i been!?? i’ve seen your facebook status updates and i never realized they were from YOUR blog!!! they are awesome! i’m SO proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! talk soon!!! love, WALKER
    ps: i have some pics, i’ll get them scanned. 🙂