How to Peel a Peach

You know how some cooking steps just aren’t worth the hassle? Like sifting dry ingredients. In most recipes, you can just run a whisk or a fork through them and call it a day. Others, are definitely worth the extra time and effort. Seeding tomatoes for salsa is must in my book. Then there are others that are just so darn simple, there’s no reason not to do them.

Peeling peaches falls into the last category. Sometimes it’s intimidating to see that you need to do an extra step, especially if you’ve never done it before. But I’m here to show you how simple it is to peel a peach.

First, get everything ready to go. You’re going to need a bowl with some ice water, a pot of boiling water, some fresh peaches, a paring knife, and a slotted spoon.

Set the water to boil. While it is heating up, cut an “X” into the bottom of each peach with your paring knife.

Once the water is boiling, drop the peaches into the boiling water. Make sure the peaches are fully submursed in the water. Boil for about 35-45 seconds.

Remove the peaches with a slotted spoon and immediately transfer to the ice bath to prevent cooking the peaches.

Now the skin of the peaches can be peeled off with your hands.

See! Wasn’t that simple? Be sure to come back tomorrow to see what I made with my peeled peaches.

One Year Ago: Massaged Kale Salad, Goat Cheese Cake with Peach and Blueberry Topping
Two Years Ago: Blueberry Peach Muffins
Three Years Ago: Eclairs
Four Years Ago: Cilantro Turkey Burgers & Sauteed Mushrooms

11 Responses to “Spice Apple Bars”

Amanda — January 28, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I wish I could run home & bake these right now! They look so delicious & how could you go wrong with apples & cinnamon? I can’t wait to try these soon.

Katie — January 28, 2009 at 2:45 pm

They look so good! I LOOOVE the cute apple backround too! 🙂 🙂

Joelen — January 28, 2009 at 4:52 pm

These look great!

bensbaby116 — January 28, 2009 at 4:57 pm

I made these from Katie’s blog in the fall and took them to a school function. One of my student’s dads ate several of them. A few weeks later I made chocolate chip cookies because they’re usually a hit with everyone there, and the same dad was like “awww. where are those apple bars? I was hoping for those again.” 🙂 They are truly wonderful!

Jen — January 28, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I agree! These are amazing. I send baked goods with hubby about once a week and these got so many more comments than usual. I’m actually making them again this weekend.

Megan — January 29, 2009 at 4:15 am

I saw that recipe last year, and I wish I had made them. They look so good.

Julie — January 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Free manual labor in exchange for apple bars? Sounds like a deal to me. I’ll have to offer that up next time I have to call a plumber 🙂

Stephanie Wagner — February 17, 2009 at 12:22 am

Scott made these tonight and they were AMAZING! Seriously, AMAZING!

Amanda — February 23, 2009 at 4:59 pm

I made these this weekend….they were fantastic! At 10 last night Sam had to ask me “are you still eating that apple cake?” Yes. I was. I saved one more piece for after work today!

creativecarryout — February 26, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Oh, my dad would love these. I have an apple bread recipe that he always requests. I’ll bookmark this one to try too. Thanks.
    Michelle

Carly — April 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I made these yesterday and think they are fabulous! So gooey, but so much better the next day! Thankyou for sharing! =)