Braised Cabbage

Cabbage is one of the foods that made a regular appearance in our CSA boxes. And while I’m a big fan of homeamde coleslaw, Hubby is not. So we had to find another way to prepare our weekly head of cabbage.

Braised Cabbage

This recipe came from just trial and error, playing around until we found something that we liked. And it’s no wonder we liked it, it’s cabbage braised in bacon drippings. This recipes makes quite a bit of braised cabbage, but it reheats nicely, so we just eat the leftovers until they are gone.

Braised Cabbage

One Year Ago: Irish Soda Bread
Four Years Ago: Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Print Save

Braised Cabbage

You can use any kind of cabbage you have on hand

Yield: Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

4 slices bacon
1 head cabbage, chopped
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large dutch oven, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove bacon and set aside.

Add cabbage to pan, toss to coat with bacon dripping. Cover and cook 15-20 minutes until cooked through, but still slightly crispy.

Meanwhile, crumble the bacon.

Add bacon and vinegar to the pan and stir to combine.

Season with salt and pepper.

13 Responses to “Chicken Gyros”

yumventures — July 9, 2010 at 11:55 am

I love making a bunch of different recipes and having them come together in one awesome meal! This looks so delicious, especially with the heat we’ve been having!

Manne — July 9, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Next time I come over, I insist we either have these delicious looking Gyros or go to the Turkish restaurant you talked about.

We Are Not Martha — July 9, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Wow, I love that addiction to the stove! Your chicken gyros look super flavorful and like the perfect hot day lunch!

Sues

Lauren — July 9, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I love that every aspect of this meal is homemade… yum! What is the name of the Turkish restaurant? I need to check it out :).

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — July 9, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I just made something similar and they were great! LOVE the sauce! Thanks!

biz319 — July 9, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Can’t wait for you to post the recipe – I am putting it on my menu for next week. 😀

I used to make tzatziki sauce too -until my grocery store started selling it for .99 cents for a 16 ounce container – so cheap!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Sweet & Savory Summer — July 9, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I love me a traditional, good, lamb gyro- but these look delicious! I might have to break out of my comfort zone 🙂

Sweet & Savory Summer — July 9, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Julie — July 9, 2010 at 11:50 pm

We definitely have to try these…yum!

brettb734 — July 11, 2010 at 2:46 am

Those look delicious, I will have to try those!

Sheena — July 13, 2010 at 12:20 am

Can the pita bread dough be made in advance and kept in the fridge overnight? I want to make these tomorrow for dinner but will not have time for the 90 minute and then 20 minute rise times. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Cara — July 13, 2010 at 1:40 pm

welcome to the bandwagon! love Elly’s recipe!

Jen — July 13, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Manne – sounds like a plan

Lauren – It’s called Brookline Family Restaurant and it’s on Washington St in Brookline Village. Definitely check it out if you’re in the area.

Sheena – I’m not sure about freezing the pita bread dough. I’m sure it would be fine as other bread doughs can be frozen and used later. Let me know how it goes if you try it!