Caramelized Butternut Squash

Butternut squash is one of my favorite foods. It’s so versatile and can be used is sweet or savory dishes. I have quite a few butternut squash recipes that I’ve already made, so I decided to make a Squash tag. Be sure to check it out.

Since I love butternut squash so much, I thought it would be appropriate to feature a week of butternut squash recipe. I’m going to kick off the week with a recipe that so simple and so delicious, it’s almost silly to call it a recipe.

Most recipes for roasted squash result in a savory dish, but with the simple addition of some brown sugar to the mix, you can transform roasted squash into a sweet little side dish.

In a moment of full disclosure, I have to admit that when I made this one afternoon while working from home, I and then proceeded to eat the entire batch of roasted squash as my lunch. Then I made it the next night for dinner. Hubby agreed that it was delicious.

Print Save

Caramelized Butternut Squash

Yield: 2

Ingredients:

1 lb butternut squash
1.5 tbsp butter, melted
1 Tbsp brown sugar
salt and pepper

Directions:

Heat oven to 400°F.

Peel squash and chop into large pieces.

Combine squash, butter, sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss.

Pour squash out onto a rimmed baking sheet.

Bake for about an hour or until browned.

Recipe from Food.com

Boston area readers, don’t forget that I’m selling pies for Pie In the Sky. The cost of your pie will feed someone in need for an entire week! Please consider buying a pie for a good cause.

10 Responses to “Roasted Beets, Turnips, and Carrots”

SHERRY MURPHY — February 7, 2013 at 5:40 am

fig vinegar? i am assuming this is the balsamic vinegar?

• beantownbaker — February 7th, 2013 @ 6:34 am

I fixed the recipe to be consistent. Any dark flavored vinegar that you enjoy would be perfect in this recipe.

Hani@haniela's — February 7, 2013 at 10:23 pm

This dish sounds delicious, I love roasting veggies.

• beantownbaker — February 8th, 2013 @ 10:14 am

Me too. In fact it’s pretty much the only way I prepare veggies…

Liz @ EatingPlaces — February 10, 2013 at 10:31 am

I love roasted veggies, especially beets! Looks beautiful.

• beantownbaker — February 11th, 2013 @ 11:21 am

Beets are one of my favorites too. Can you believe I had never had one until a couple years ago?!?

Mike — October 26, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I used 4 tbs butter and 4 tbs olive oil.
    Tossed vegatables, oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, 2 tsp or so dry sage and 2 tsp or so dry rosemary in large bowl and then spread on two baking sheets.
    Roasted for 30 minutes and then rotated cooking sheets in oven and roasted for another 30 minutes. No stirring required

Added 4 smoked Polish sausages cut into 1″ pieces for last 30 minutes.

Next time I will line cooking sheets with foil to make cleanup simpler.

A real keeper!!

• beantownbaker — October 28th, 2013 @ 8:25 pm

What a great addition with the sausages!!

Zanne — March 30, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I had a beet that was wasting away in the fridge and a lonely turnip too. So I added them and 2 large carrots, all peeled and chunked, into a baking dish. Topped with 2 Tbsp sliced butter, coated with 2 tsp dried sage, half tsp rosemary, salt & pepper. After 1 hour in the oven, stirred, splashed with apple cider vinegar, and served. Very satisfying, and a nice accompaniment to roast chicken. Thanks for sharing!