Grilled Beef Ribs (Taste & Create)

This is another VERY overdue post. Taste & Create is a blogging event in which you are randomly paired up with another participant, and each of you try a recipe from the other’s food blog. I was paired with the talented Christine of Kits Chow (back in the spring, we had some unfortunate family circumstances that made me miss the T&C deadline, but we did make the ribs over the summer). Christine and I have very different blogs. I bake a lot and she informed me that her oven is used to store her baking sheets which rarely get used. I was very excited about making something “out of the box” for me. We don’t eat much red meat, and when we do hubby usually prepares it. I chose this recipe because hubby loves ribs and I love cilantro. Sounds perfect.

The flavor of these ribs was amazing. The marinade smelled so good. Like I said, I love cilantro! We served this with some broccoli and gobbled the meal right up. Again, I’m sorry to Christine for not posting this anywhere near on time.

Grilled Beef Ribs – from Kits Chow
For the marinade:
1 knob of ginger, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbs. sea salt – I used Kosher
1 Tbs. black peppercorns, toasted
2 Tbs lemon grass, minced
2 cups cilantro leaves and stems, chopped
Juice of 2 limes
2 Tbs.chili oil – I left this out since I can’t handle spiciness

Beef ribs – about 1 1/2 lbs

Put the ingredients except the lime juice and chili oil into a mortar and pound into a thick paste. Add the lime juice and chili oil and mix well. Put half of the marinade in a bowl and reserve for another use (I used all of the marinade for these ribs).

Or give all the ingredients a whirl in the food processor for a minute or two, transfer the paste to two bowls. Set aside (refrigerate it if necessary).

Marinate the ribs for for a few hours or keep in the refrigerator overnight. Place the baking rack in the middle of the oven. Transfer the ribs to a baking pan and put it on the baking rack. Turn the broiler on and broil for 15 minutes on one side. Turn the meat over and broil for another fifteen minutes. The ribs here are medium rare. Remove from oven. Cut the meat into pieces and dish up. Pour the pan juices over the meat and sprinkle with fried shallots.

The broiling times are estimates as oven temperatures vary. Keep an eye on the meat. Ribs usually have a bit of fat on them and you don’t want a fire in the oven.

22 Responses to “Brasato al Barolo (Beef Braised in Wine)”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 18, 2011 at 5:16 pm

You are one lucky girl because that is an AWESOME anniversary gift! I only got a Le Creuset Dutch oven this past fall and I’ve mostly roasted with it with the cover off but I am totally going to get a replacement knob. Thanks for the tip!

Evan Thomas — January 18, 2011 at 5:22 pm

My family would love this. When meat is cooked for that long in juice and seasoning the flavor is always incredible. Thanks for the recipe!

Bridget — January 18, 2011 at 6:08 pm

What a perfect virgin use for your new Dutch oven! I love the addition of more vegetables too – what a great way to make this isn’t a one-dish balanced meal.

Megan — January 18, 2011 at 6:49 pm

That looks perfect for this weather! I always use my cover with the black knob, and nothing bad has ever happened to it. I do wonder though if I’ve ever come across a recipe that requires me to cook something covered at a higher temp that 375 (I’m thinking it’s not likely). Such a great gift!

Caroline — January 18, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I want to get a dutch oven just for something like this! What a wonderful anniversary gift! The beef looks melt-in-your mouth, and with a sauce made out of cabernet? To die for! Looks wonderful!

Jen — January 18, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Megan – I’ve seen a recipe for a nearly-no-knead bread that bakes at 450. But other than that, most things are cooked low and slow.

naomi — January 18, 2011 at 7:28 pm

First off congrats on the anniversary milestone! This looks delicious. I’m bookmarking it now, since this definitely a recipe my family will love.

Shannon — January 18, 2011 at 7:41 pm

what an awesome gift!! happy anniversary 🙂 i got a stainless steel knob, but haven’t yet exchanged it… what a great recipe, and i can just imagine how succulent that meat was!

EliFla — January 18, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Very good!!! Very very good!!! Hugs, ciao Flavia

Kimmy Bingham — January 18, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I’m definitely ordering the replacement knob for mine as well. Great idea. This dish looks perfect for the cold weekend we’re about to have!

The Small Boston Kitchen — January 19, 2011 at 4:07 am

Your pictures are absolutely amazing. Seriously amazing. I want to lick my computer screen.

Stef at TooMuchToDoSoLittleTime.com — January 19, 2011 at 4:52 am

Happy Anniversary! Congrats on a fantastic gift!! I only acquired my first Le Creuset oven last May. I’m addicted! I have several pieces (which you can see on my blog). I LOVE the way they cook. I have a friend who was trying so hard to convince me to buy one. I got a great sale at the Outlet! I rarely use my stainless pots and pans any more. I now have two different kinds of skillets, too. I absolutely love them!

I have several recipes on my blog which I have cooked in my ovens. I cook my chili for four hours. The first time I made it my husband said it was the best chili I had ever made (we’ve been married 23 years! I also cooked Pioneer Woman’s pot roast with rosemary in it (also listed on my blog)… it was AWESOME!

If you ever get anything on your enameled pot that you can get off… try Bar Keeper’s Friend. I wrote Le Creuset and they told me that its OK to use it. 😉

I love all your recipes and can’t wait to see what you create in your new oven!

Stef at TooMuchToDoSoLittleTime.com

Nutmeg Nanny — January 19, 2011 at 7:01 pm

This looks great! I love my Le Creuset….it’s the best! You made a great dish to break it in…yum!

kitchenmisfit — January 20, 2011 at 2:38 am

Oh man that looks TASTY! And such a great anniversary gift!

Julie (thelittlekitchen.net) — January 20, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Awesome, wonderful gift. I just won my first Le Creuset french oven and like you pondered what to make with it! Thanks for the idea of the stainless steel knob.

Paul — January 21, 2011 at 4:54 pm

A tip on that replacement knob: just go to a hardware store and buy a stainless steel kitchen cabinet knob along with a washer and bolt to fit. Bring the lid with you to the store to check the fit. This is MUCH less expensive than a “Le Creuset” knob and works great.

wgfoodie — January 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm

This sounds absolutely perfect for a cold winter night. And with temps in the teens this week, I am definitely adding this to the list!

Peggy — January 26, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Your mom is way thoughtful for getting you guys that for your anniversary! I absolutely adore my dutch oven and bring it out every chance I get! I may have to bring it out fairly soon to try this beef because it sounds absolutely delicious!

Ashley — January 27, 2011 at 2:45 am

What a wonderful gift! And so great that you’ll put it to good use. Happy anniversary 🙂

a frog in the cottage — January 27, 2011 at 11:27 am

absolutely delicious !!!! i wish i could grab some !!

Robyn — January 11, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I keep coming back to this recipe! I just made it tonight for the in-laws and I think they might let me stay in the family. ALWAYS delicious 🙂

• beantownbaker — January 12th, 2014 @ 2:54 pm

Isn’t it delicious? Especially in this cold weather. Glad you guy enjoy it.