Roasted Banana Soft Serve

I would rename this stuff Banana Bread Batter Soft Serve. Because that’s exactly what it tastes like. Its pretty amazing and so good for you!

If you read any healthy food blogs, I’m sure you’ve seen this recipe. I love that this version roasts the bananas prior to freezing then whizzing them in the food processor. I always seem to have over ripe bananas in my freezer, so I’m definitely going to be making this again.

I topped mine with some chopped pecans to give it some texture, which I enjoyed. Of course, I also enjoyed it without the pecans. I love how dark it got because of the caramelized bananas. It almost looks like peanut butter!

One Year Ago: Lemon Raspberry Layer Cake

Print Save

Roasted Banana Soft Serve

Yield: 1-2

Ingredients:

3 very ripe large bananas

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.

Peel the bananas and cut into 1-inch pieces. Arrange banana pieces on the prepared baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes.

Remove baking sheet from the oven and allow the roasted bananas to cool completely.

Place cooled roasted banana pieces on a parchment paper-lined plate and freeze until solid. Transfer frozen roasted bananas to a freezer-safe zip-top plastic bag for future use OR proceed to the next step.

When ready to transform the frozen roasted bananas into soft serve, remove the bananas from the freezer and place in a food processor or high-speed blender. Process or blend until the roasted frozen bananas take on a creamy & smooth consistency.

Eat immediately!

Recipe as seen on Healthy Food For Living - serves 1-2
Printable Recipe

Don’t forget about Bloggers Bake for Hope – Bloggers Bake. You Bid. 100% of proceeds go to Komen for a Cure. Register to bake by April 30th, come back for bidding May 4-6.

9 Responses to “Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars”

newlywed — September 6, 2010 at 12:42 pm

As a teacher, I still get nervous for the first day of school! Same butterflies in my tummy I had for the first day of high school 🙂
    The look SO yummy, hope to try making them soon.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — September 6, 2010 at 2:21 pm

The flavor combination of PB&J always brings me back to my childhood. I loved the first day of school – new outfit, new backpack and school supplies…

Krystal — September 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Yum these look great Jen!! I totally agree on adding more jelly or jam to these…the ooey gooey of PB sticks to the roof of my mouth. Make sure to have milk if these bars are made! LOL

Ashley — September 6, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Tomorrow marks the first day of my eight year of teaching so I love your back to school post. I am bookmarking this recipe, love PB & J!

Boston Food Diary — September 7, 2010 at 1:40 am

I have been obsessed with peanut butter lately and these look simply amazing….even if I’m not headed back to school! Yum!

Eliana — September 7, 2010 at 3:22 am

These bars looks absolutely perfect.

My favorite part of going back to school was (and I know I’m a nerd for saying this) was using new school supplies. My mom always got us the best pens, pencils, folders, binders, erasers…you name it. And whipping them out the first week of class was the best feeling ever.

nutmegnanny — September 7, 2010 at 2:54 pm

This looks perfect for the back to school season! I’m a nanny so I know the little I watch would love to make these for herself and friends. I guess I know what we are doing tonight 🙂

Cupcake Activist — September 7, 2010 at 6:57 pm

This is very similar to my favorite workout bar–Clif Mojo Peanut Butter & Jelly. Maybe I can start saving money and make my own bars. Thanks!

We Are Not Martha — September 7, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I’ve made something similar before, but these look SO good my stomach is grumbling 🙂 Definitely bookmarking for soon! I miss the new outfits and seeing who’s in all your classes 🙂

Sues