Chorizo, Shrimp and Lentil Stew

I try to grab random ingredients I’ve never used when I go to the store. I rarely remember to do this, but that’s how we ended up with a bag of lentils in the house. I searched through my Google Reader to find a recipe with lentils. We had everything in the house for this one, so we decided to try it. Neither of us knew what to expect, but we both really enjoyed this stew – it’s very hearty and flavorful.

Chorizo, Lentil and Shrimp Stew – from A Good Appetite
1 T olive oil
2 carrots, peeled & sliced – I used carrot chips
1 small onion, peeled & diced
1 clove garlic, peeled & minced
2 chorizo links, sliced – Spanish style chroizo not Mexican
1 bay leaf
1/4 t smoked paprika
1/8 t chipotle powder
1 14-oz can diced fired roasted tomatoes
1 1/2 c low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 c lentils
salt
10 cooked shrimp – I used about 1 pound because that’s what we had on hand

Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat.

Add the carrots, onion, garlic & chorizo. Cook until the onions are translucent.

Stir in the bay leaf, paprika and chipotle & cook for 1 minute.

Add the tomatoes, chicken broth & lentils. Bring to a boil.

Cover & reduce heat to simmer. Let simmer for about 20 minutes, until the lentils are tender.

If the stew is a little dry add a little more broth. Test for seasoning & add salt if needed. Stir in shrimp & cook until just heated.

9 Responses to “Creamy Red Pepper and Collard Greens Dip”

Ashley — January 25, 2013 at 1:39 pm

This sounds like a tasty dip, and I love that it’s so colorful! I can definitely relate – I’m not into the Superbowl game this year (we recently moved, too, and I prefer college football), but I am ALL about the food!

• beantownbaker — January 25th, 2013 @ 6:12 pm

Were you guys moving during the holidays? We moved into our apartment on 12/21. It was rough… Even when it’s teams that I like, it’s still mostly about the food 🙂

Shannon — January 25, 2013 at 2:29 pm

i do love football food, and i’ve been meaning to try my hand at collard greens 😉

Ashley — January 26, 2013 at 8:08 pm

We didn’t move as recently as you! We made our move in October…and I’m just starting to feel settled. It is rough… Of course, the kitchen was the first room put together!

Lori — January 27, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Approximately how much collard greens do you need? Can you use canned? This sounds terrific…like a soul food dip!

• beantownbaker — January 27th, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

Sorry about that. Missed a key ingredient in the recipe. I updated it now. I used a pound of fresh collard greens. I haven’t tried it with canned. Let me know how it goes if you do.

Megan — January 27, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I’m so not into the Super Bowl this year either, but I can always get behind some football food. I’m still trying to decide what to make for next weekend. This dip sounds so good!

ErinsFoodFiles — January 28, 2013 at 2:22 pm

YUM! I’ve never seen collards in a dip before.

Jade — October 23, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Hey love this recipe. it is actually my daughters FAVORITE MEAL! but i want to know how do i make this into a freezer meal? should i do anything differently? or just make as directed and put them from oven to freezer?