Spice Apple Bars

When I saw this recipe in Katie’s blog in the fall, I knew I’d have to make it. And boy are we glad I did. These might be one of my favorite things I’ve ever baked. Definitely in the top 10. One of hubby’s coworkers said he would do any amount of manual labor we asked of him if I made a batch of these for him.

Apple Spice bars – from Katie
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 apples, cored and diced (a little less than 2 c.) – I used Macintosh apples
cinnamon sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 9×13 pan with foil and baking spray (I doubled the recipe and used one 9×13 and one 8×8 pan because I wanted them to be thicker).

In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Whisk to combine well and set aside.

In bowl of stand mixer, combine sugars and butter and beat on medium high until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well to combine. Add vanilla extract and beat to combine.

Turn mixer on slow and fold in flour mixture a little at a time until just combined. Fold in apples.

Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan and sprinkle top generously with cinnamon sugar.

Place in oven and bake until cooked through, when top slightly bounces back to the touch, about 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing from pan, cutting and serving. Bars will be very soft.

18 Responses to “Tunnel of Fudge Cake”

vanillasugarblog — February 8, 2014 at 11:54 am

this cake screams a lot of things!
    eat me comes to my mind!
    lol

• beantownbaker — February 8th, 2014 @ 11:57 am

It does definitely scream that 🙂

Aimee — February 9, 2014 at 7:14 am

Gorgeous Bundt, Jen! It looks amazing. Love the butter and cocoa tip and the raspberries!

Tracy | Pale Yellow — February 10, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Who needs a tunnel of love when you have a tunnel of fudge! This looks fantastic!!

Nutmeg Nanny — February 23, 2014 at 9:45 am

This cake looks glorious 🙂 I am dying to get a slice, maybe two 😉

sue epstein — February 27, 2014 at 6:19 pm

The original recipe called for a box of Pillsbury’s frosting mix and was much, much better than the current recipes. There was a tunnel of gooey soft fudge in the middle that you just can’t get with today’s recipes for this cake. But it’s still a great cake!

Lynne — February 28, 2014 at 9:35 pm

For most up-to-date information you have to visit tthe webb and oon web I
    found this site as a most excellent web page for latest updates.

Marye Audet — March 21, 2014 at 5:12 pm

One of my favorites! Thanks for the reminder..I need to make this – soon!

Heila — December 22, 2015 at 4:24 am

I just tried this yummy recipe from your blog and it has come out really yummy!! 🙂
    This is my first tunnel of fudge cake and I am quite happy with the outcome…
    Thanks for sharing this easy recipe 🙂

Lois C. Flores — January 27, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Gorgeous!!! I’d love to try to make it for my family soon. Your recipe is so detailed, but to a clumsy person like me, Hopefully I won’t mess everything up haha.

Abigail C. Murdock — March 17, 2016 at 4:19 am

Looking at the picture of your cake I just wanna try it immediately. It looks really good. It is good to make it at home and serve on some special occasions like birthday parties or a party with friends on weekends. Thanks Jen for sharing this recipe with us!

Dane Shaw — March 23, 2016 at 6:47 am

Nice recipe Jen! Hope that I can do it the way you make your cake. Always love chocolate. Thank you for sharing it!

Healthoop — March 24, 2016 at 9:53 am

oh my god, I fell in love with it at the first sight. So yummy and nice at the look. Thanks Jen for sharing wonderful recipe!

Anthony — April 20, 2016 at 12:34 am

Awesome, you make it like an artist. It looks so delicious, I will try your recipe to make it for my kids. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Kathy — June 16, 2016 at 3:26 am

This cake recipe looks very sweet and delicous. I will try it soon. Thank for share this great post.

Luis Sanborn — March 14, 2017 at 4:21 am

This looks amazing, I will try this out tomorrow, thank you for sharing!