Boston baked beans in the Crockpot (My Kind of Town)

I love all of Joelen’s creative blogging events. This month, she’s hosting “My Kind of Town Thanksgiving Adventure” which encourages everyone to make a dish specific to your city. I immediately thought of Boston Baked Beans. I’ve never had any baked beans other the kind from a can. Funny side note, my mom likes to eat them cold because they did that when she was young. Gross… Anyways, I do love baked beans. They’re a perfect compliment to any summer barbecue.

These beans are amazing. And very hearty. Hubby and I ate them out of a bowl with a piece of bread for dinner. Very simple and tasty. We didn’t know if we were supposed to leave the bacon in or take it out. We stirred it in and the bacon literally just fell apart and mixed in with the beans. We ate these the next day with some turkey burgers. I’ll definitely be making these again and again.

Note – Hubby was concerned there wasn’t enough liquid in there when we started the crockpot. The bacon adds a lot of liquid to the party, so don’t fret little pet 🙂 If you sub sausage or something else for the bacon, you might want to add some more liquid though.

Crockpot Boston Baked Beans – from Stephanie
3 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 medium onions, chopped finely
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp dried mustard – I used 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 pound of bacon – I cut the bacon strips in 1/2 so they’d fit in the crockpot

Drain and rinse your beans, and add them to the crockpot. Add onion and brown sugar. Pour in the molasses and ketchup. Add spices. Stir to combine.

Lay slices of uncooked bacon over the top of the beans.

Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, or high for about 4. Ours cooked while we were at work, so about 10 hours on low.

11 Responses to “Lime Cilantro Sweet Potatoes with Black Beans”

Lauren — November 5, 2010 at 11:54 am

This dish sounds great! I love sweet potatoes and black beans together, and the cilantro and lime sound like the perfect flavor additions.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — November 5, 2010 at 2:08 pm

My fiance isn’t the biggest fan of beans so I try to “sneak” them into dishes and this looks a great recipe to try out!

Eliana — November 5, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I absolutely adore sweet potatoes but wud have never thought of flavoring them with cilantro and lime. This sounds like it would turn out super delicious.

Kerstin — November 6, 2010 at 5:42 pm

We always have black beans in the house too and they are just perfect with sweet potatoes too – yum!

becksterslaboratory — November 7, 2010 at 12:37 am

Oh dear, I never thought of pairing these 4 fave flavors together. Amazing : )

Nutmeg Nanny — November 7, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Yum! I love black beans and I also love that they are super good for you. I think this would be an awesome quick weeknight dinner!

tobias cooks! — November 8, 2010 at 5:48 pm

perfect combo of tastes. I would love to try this one.

Boston Food Diary — November 9, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Mmmm what a refreshing twist on sweet potatoes! These sound hearty and delicious!

Carrie — November 11, 2010 at 7:01 pm

What a great recipe and beautiful photo. Black beans and sweet potatoes (and cilantro, for that matter!) are a couple of my favorite foods, so I know that I’d love this!

lacasitainspirada — November 14, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Yum! I love black beans in salads. This sounds great!
    And great pictures, too!

robinakagoatmom — February 28, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Made a half recipe and loved it hot or cold! Took to a work pot luck and a hit with everyone. Thanks for another great recipe.