Taste & Create: Lemon Curd Cookies

Taste & Create is a blogging event in which you are randomly paired up with another particpant, and each of you try a recipe from the other’s food blog. I was paired with the talented Cherrapeño. I immediately started looking for a recipe I wanted to try. Everything looks so good!! Hubby has a coworker who loves lemon, so the Lemon Curd Cookies caught my eye. I made my first lemon curd back in January and loved it.

Lemon Curd Cookies – from Cherrapeño – Adapted from The Guardian Weekend by Dan Lepard – makes ~2 dozen
I used this calculator to get my grams to cups/Tbsp conversion.

Topping:
50g (10 Tbsp) rolled oats
50g (4 Tbsp) double cream
100g good lemon curd – I made my own using this recipe – I used 1/2 cup

Base:
100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
100g (8 Tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
zest of 1 lemon
150g (1 1/2 cup) plain flour
25g (2 tbsp) ground rice – I used organic brown rice flour

Measure the oats, cream and lemon curd into a small bowl and mix until combined. Cover the bowl with clingfilm until ready to use.

Mix the sugar and butter with the lemon zest for a couple of minutes until fluffy, then add the flour and ground rice, mix until you have a soft dough.

Roll into a cylinder about 5cm by 20cm long and wrap in cling film. Chill for at least an hour until firm.

Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4-5, line a large baking sheet with baking parchment and slice the dough into 1½cm discs. They may crumble as you cut them but you can just press the dough back together again. Space them well apart as they will spread a bit.

Spoon a teaspoon of the oaty/lemon mixture on each circle of dough and spread it to the edges.

Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the cookies have just risen and the tops are browning. Cool for a few minutes until placing on a wire rack to go cold.

I had some problems with the cookie dough. I’m not sure if it was because my conversions were off or what. When I followed the directions, after the dough came out of the fridge for an hour, it crumbled horribly. I couldn’t get it to stick together at all. It was quite crumbly when I wrapped it up but I thought it would solidify while chilling.

I ended up adding 1/2 cup soy milk to the mixture and mixed it up and re-chilled it. This helped tremendously. I was able to slice the dough once it was chilled for another hour.

My cookies didn’t spread or rise too much. But they did taste great. They also aren’t that pretty. I’m convinced that desserts that look good taste better. It’s a mental thing. Hubby even commented that the bad thing about these cookies is that they’re kinda dull looking. BUT, everyone at our family get together loved these cookies and I didn’t bring any home.

The lemon curd recipe was also taken from Cherrapeño. This lemon curd recipe was very simple to make. It was very lemony and tangy. This recipe was easy to make since it used whole eggs.

26 Responses to “Vanilla Peach Bourbon Jam”

thecookingnurse — August 7, 2009 at 1:17 pm

What a neat exchange! Your jam flavor sound delish!

stephchows — August 7, 2009 at 1:43 pm

oh YUMMMM!!! I love the color!! Peach with vanilla… I think I need to go peach picking this weekend 🙂 As for your Q I’ll answer it here and on my blog. The reason there is no pectin is because raspberries naturally have a very high level of it in them, when I make my raspberry jam (posted yesterday) I only use raspberries and sugar, that’s it! And it gels up without any problem 🙂 As for processing, I say jar it up and boil the jars for 10 minutes and then let them cool overnight like normal. Can’t wait to hear how it tastes!

Jen — August 7, 2009 at 2:16 pm

That makes sense about the raspberries having pectin in them. Thanks for the help for a jam newbie!

Danielle Hawes — August 7, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Ohhh I want to make this!!

nutmegnanny — August 7, 2009 at 9:29 pm

What a yummy jam! I bet it taste amazing:)

Kevin — August 8, 2009 at 12:48 am

I really like the sound of a peach jam with vanilla bean and bourbon!

Jessica Segarra — August 10, 2009 at 2:56 am

One day soon I really really want to make my own Jam! Yours looks fabulous!

Kerstin — August 11, 2009 at 4:18 am

Wow, what an amazing flavor combo, I’m completely impressed you made your own jam – it looks fabulous!

Anna — August 20, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Thank you for the inspiration, it came out yummy!

Christine — September 10, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Hello Jen! I found this blog in Foodista and followed it here. This is a actually cool Vanilla Peach Bourbon Jam recipe. Keep it up and I may see you on Food Network one day. By the way, did you know you can place more Foodista widget? A friend of mine placed proper Foodista widget at the end of her latest blogs and the numbers of her readers increased. Interesting isn’t it?

Squeaky — October 3, 2010 at 7:09 pm

It’s too late for peaches (I made a batch of this with peaches, and wanted to make a second, but I waited too long), so I tried asian pears. It’s a little boozier tasting, but delicious!

Dave — July 1, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Just made this with some fantastic peaches. Wow, winning recipe.

Amy — June 11, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I made this jam last summer. My family has been begging for more. This is their all time favorite jam that I made. Can’t wait till the peaches are ripe to mix up a few batches. Thank you!!!

• beantownbaker — June 11th, 2013 @ 8:20 pm

So glad you enjoyed the recipe. I make this jam every year when peaches are in season.

Aurora — August 6, 2013 at 11:56 am

Just made this, and OMG is it good!! I used southern comfort, and scraped the seeds out of my vanilla bean into the jam. One of the best jams I have ever made! Thanks for the recipe! I put the used vanilla bean into 8oz of southern comfort, might be good in a couple of weeks! Just cant bear to throw away the rest of the vanilla bean.

• beantownbaker — August 6th, 2013 @ 6:28 pm

So glad you enjoyed this! It’s one of my favorite jam recipes ever.

Denise — August 28, 2013 at 9:36 am

Hi! Can’t wait to try this jam! Is there a reason you used low-sugar pectin instead of regular?

• beantownbaker — August 28th, 2013 @ 1:35 pm

That’s what the recipe called for. In general, when it comes to pectin, I follow the recipe and don’t deviate from what it says…

Gatorman — October 29, 2013 at 6:17 pm

This recipe sounds great! I have to go out for a liquor run tomorrow(Son getting married) and peaches are still in the stores. I was looking for a good(and different) peach jam recipe. Thanks!

• beantownbaker — October 29th, 2013 @ 6:22 pm

This is one of my favorite jam recipes. I make it every year at the end of summer while peaches are really ripe here in the midwest!

Brighid45 — July 6, 2014 at 8:17 am

This is a fantastic recipe! Made it last year and the first batch disappeared so fast, two more got made right away 🙂 I’m just about to start on this year’s first batch. My only suggestion would be this: if you’re using a stockpot for canning the half-pints/pints and not a water-bath canner, put some butter knives on the bottom of the pot so the jars don’t make direct contact with the floor. The knives act in the same way as a rack does, to reduce the chance that a jar might crack or even break.

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:21 pm

Great tip. Thanks!

FancyApril — August 21, 2015 at 9:38 am

I made this last night, the best peach jam I have ever tasted. I brought a small jar to work and everyone has fallen in love!

Linda Riccardo Henderson — June 17, 2016 at 9:10 pm

I don’t drink but would love to try recipe, someone promised to share bourbon for recipe and at the last minute gave me Jim beam whisky instead. I reviewed how the spirits are made…thoughts about the substitution. Thank you love your site

Scott Anderson — October 5, 2016 at 8:50 am

Jim Beam would be fine – it’s a nuance, not a strong “flavor”. This is an amazing jam that won’t disappoint…

Dawn — July 9, 2017 at 9:14 pm

Wow! Just made this jam, & it is amazing. Will definitely be making this yearly.