Calzones!

Calzones are great because they are so easy to make and you can throw whatever you want in them! After making these the first time (thanks to inspiration from Jessica found here), we made them again for our big Midwest road trip. They were pretty good even cold out of a cooler.

Calzones
pizza dough – I’ve only used the canned kind and got 4 fairly large or 6 smaller calzones out of 1 can. I want to try to use some homemade dough sometime…
toppings of your choice

Varieties we have tried and LOVED:
Besto-Pesto – Inspiration for this guy came from the Sunset Grille‘s Besto-Pesto sandwich
Cooked chicken
Lots of pesto
Sauteed Mushrooms
Provolone cheese

Pulled Chicken w/ Bacon and Cheddar
Pulled chicken – I cooked chicken breasts in BBQ sauce for about 3 hours on Low then shredded the chicken
Bacon
Cheddar Cheese

Preheat oven according to directions on dough.

Roll the pizza dough out and cut into however many calzones you want to make (kitchen scissors work great for this!). Roll dough out.

Put some foil on a cookie sheet and spray with PAM or olive oil.

Place dough pieces on foil and spoon some topping onto 1/2 of each piece of dough.

Fold the dough over and be sure to seal it shut.

Bake according to directions on dough.

17 Responses to “Crockpot Pulled Chicken”

Megan — February 24, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I am obsessed with your crockpot chicken tacos and am sure this is going to be another favorite crockpot chicken recipe in our house!

P.S. I had a cake craving last night and jumped on your blog to look up cupcake recipes… you have 101 cupcake recipes?!!

• beantownbaker — February 24th, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

Yea… about those cupcakes. I went through a phase at the beginning of my blog. And I’ve been blogging 3.5 years, so that’s really only about 30/year…

Funandfearlessinbeantown — February 24, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I think I would LOVE this recipe! Bret loves pulled chicken and I love slow cooker recipes!

CasualDish — February 24, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Yum, my husband would totally love this!!

Evan @swEEts — February 24, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Sounds delicious and perfect for leaving in the pot before work and coming home to wonderfully cooked chicken. Can’t wait to try it!

Christina — February 24, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I love this kind of stuff. We had beef dip sandwiches last night. SO GOOD. I bet we’ve love this too!

Julie — February 24, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Sounds delicious, but I’m sure I’d have to just add one of those chiles 🙂

Kate W — February 24, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Yay! I love Pulled chicken sandwiches, I’m so glad you shared this recipe.

Katie — February 26, 2011 at 9:01 am

Nothing bad about pulled chicken. Nothing. Love all the flavors that the chicken was simmering in. Bet this was awesome!

Lindsay — March 7, 2011 at 8:07 am

This is the first time I’ve seen someone else use an Eating Well recipe! I like. 🙂 Also, this chicken looks fabulous and easy….nice work.

Kristen Llobrera — March 7, 2011 at 11:16 am

These look awesome and so easy to make! I love spicy pulled chicken and I love anything that you can just throw in the crockpot. Can’t wait to try them!

Judith — March 8, 2011 at 12:10 am

My husband and I made this last night for dinner and it was absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Nona — May 6, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Has anyone tried freezing this? I dont eat meat, but I am thinking about making this for my husband but there is no way he could eat a whole pot to himself.

• beantownbaker — May 7th, 2012 @ 10:10 am

Like most crockpot meals, this meat freezes just fine. I like to portion it out into individual sized portions prior to freezing so you can just grab one and go.

Julia — November 27, 2013 at 8:01 am

Hi! I made this last year and it was a huge hit. I want to make it again for a holiday pot luck, but when I looked at the recipe today, it seemed to have the directions listed twice, and no ingredient amounts. I was able to find the recipe at eating Well, but wanted to let you know that there may be something wrong here.

• beantownbaker — December 1st, 2013 @ 6:46 pm

Thanks for the update. I am fixing the post now. Glad this recipe was a success for you!

Nollywood — October 7, 2016 at 5:37 pm