Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes

I have to admit, I never would have thought to roast bluberries. As much as I love roasting almost any kind of vegetable, the thought literally never crossed my mind. Then I saw this recipe for Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes and was instantly intrigued.

The batter of these cupcakes is a very pretty purple and it tastes amazing. Roasting blueberries brings out their sweetness and heightens that flavor. I probably ate a whole cupcake worth of just the batter, it was that delicious. After the cupcakes were baked, they still carried the strong roasted blueberry flavor that was evident in the batter.

I decided to top mine with cream cheese frosting and some purple edible glitter to dress things up for my 1000th Post Party. I am hoping to make these again with various other roasted fruits. I’m thinking raspberry or strawberry next…

Have you ever roasted fruit?

One Year Ago: Cinnamon Chip Scones and Hummingbird Cupcakes with Pineapple Flowers

Print Save

Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Roasted blueberries have a strong sweet flavor that comes through perfectly in these cupcakes

Yield: 16 cupcakes

1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2-3 Tbsp milk
1 batch Cream Cheese Frosting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread blueberries on a baking sheet (with sides) and roast for 10-15 minutes, or until berries start to burst. Remove from oven and let cool.

Beat butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy, about 4-5 minutes.

Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined, another 2-3 minutes.

Add flour, baking powder and salt with the mixer on low speed, then gradually increase speed.

Scrape in blueberries and beat on medium speed until the berries break down – about 2-3 minutes. At this point, the berries most likely have enough liquid that you only need to add a small amount of milk to the batter.

Begin adding 1 tablespoon of milk at a time and beat with the mixer until the batter is smooth. You definitely want it to be cake batter and not dough. (My batter took 2 Tbsp of milk)

Pour into cupcake liners, filling 2/3 of the way full, and bake for 18-22 minutes or until cake is set. Let cool completely, then frost.

Recipe from How Sweet It Is

12 Responses to “Goat Cheese Cake with Peach and Blueberry Topping”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — September 1, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I’m like you and totally try out recipes based on photos! I think goat cheese and fruit are always a perfect combo. The goat cheesecake sounds intriguing!

Lauren — September 1, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Looks and sounds amazing! I’m totally with you about photos of food – they are typically what tempt me to make a recipe.

Amanda — September 1, 2010 at 5:36 pm

This cake looks DELICIOUS!

I’d never heard of using goat cheese in a cheesecake, but I’m intrigued.

I, too, much prefer pictures. Sometimes you just don’t put the ingredients together in your head the right way and it comes out looking totally different than you expected. I also flip through the book faster and I tend to not find recipes unless there are pics!

Beeb — September 1, 2010 at 8:10 pm

i think trying something new without any idea what it should look like it rough. i love pictures but most cookbooks dont seem to have enough. i think thats why i love this blog so much, you take TONS! 🙂

i am very intrigued by this recipe. but i dont eat blueberries or peaches. is it good by itself? or is the fruit greatly needed??

Jen — September 1, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Beeb – It’s similar to any other cheesecake. It was good on it’s own, but the fruit really enhanced the flavor. Are there other fruits you like that you could top it with? Strawberries and blueberries would be great!

We Are Not Martha — September 1, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Oh yum! I totally want to try this. I love goat cheese (and fruit) and bet this would make an amazing cake!

I like photos too, but sometimes I get a little too into them. Like the other night when I forgot to add raisins to my cinnamon raisin bread because they weren’t in the photo 🙂

Elina — September 2, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I definitely prefer recipes with pictures but if a description is really good (or intriguing) or if an author points it out as a favorite… or lastly if it’s a source I trust, I go for it. With that said, I’m glad you made it and posted pictures. This cake looks (and sounds) absolutely fantastic!!!

flavourfulbounty — September 3, 2010 at 4:21 pm

This looks really good. I agree that sometimes I eat with my eyes. I love photos, but not the ones that look almost fake since they are so perfect. That’s why I love food blogs – usually it is just the food as it will be served.

I cook from a lot of different sources, and will try recipes that are appealing without any pics either. Sometimes it is more difficult when I am completely unfamiliar with the dish, though.

Ingrid — September 4, 2010 at 2:47 am

Photos! I love yours…the “cake” looks so pretty with it’s white lip and fruit piled high.

Cara — September 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Sounds wonderful. I can see how it would be more of a “cheesecake” than a “cheese cake” because there’s such a small amount of flour. As we move into fall, I bet it would be delicious with a topping of figs sauteed with honey… mmm… honey figs and goat cheese!

Shannon — September 15, 2010 at 1:45 am

LOVE goat cheese cheesecake 🙂 peaches and blueberries seem like another good topper (i recently made one with figs and raspberries!)

Jay — February 21, 2011 at 10:42 pm

i really have to bake that cake for my boyfriend who has a milk intolerance. thank you for posting this many recipes with goat cheese 🙂
    best wishes, jay, my blog: