Butterbeer Recipe

Leading up to the midnight showing of the final Harry Potter movie, I really wanted to have a Harry Potter party. It wasn’t in the cards, so instead I made some Harry Potter themed treats for Hubby and I to enjoy while watching Deathly Hallows Part I the other night.

There are quite a few recipes for butterbeer out there. But I wanted to make something that matches what butterbeer was in my mind while reading the books. To me, butterbeer is warm, buttery, and spiked with a bit of some spicy alcohol. The warm butterbeer is topped with a frothy whipped foam on top that leaves a mustache when you take a sip.

I set out to develop this recipe and Hubby and I agreed that this butterbeer was delicious and very fitting for Harry and his friends.

One Year Ago: French Silk Pie

Print Save

Yield: Serves 2

For the Butterbeer
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 Tbsp honey
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/16 teaspoon ground cloves
Pinch salt
3 Tbsp toffee bits (you can use butterscotch chips here if you have those on hand)
1/3 cup spiced rum
1 cups boiling water

For the Foam
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar, or splenda for sugar free version
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon butter

Prepare the butterbeer:
Using an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl until blended and smooth. Stir in the toffee bits Transfer the mixture to a 4-cup (or larger) measuring cup. Add the rum and then the boiling water. Stir until the butter mixture dissolves. Pour through a sieve to remove any toffee bits that did not dissolve. Divide the buttered rum among 2 mugs.

Prepare the foam:
In a large bowl, or the bowl of a standing mixer, whip the heavy cream on medium high speed for 3-4 minutes until it starts to thicken. Add the sugar and continue whipping until very soft peaks begin to form, another 3-4 minutes. Stir in the vanilla and butter, then whip for another 30 seconds or so, until soft peaks form.

Spoon a generous portion of foam on top of each glass of butterbeer, mixing gently. Serve immediately.

Recipe adapted from Food Network and Bakingdom

13 Responses to “Pumpkin Cranberry Pecan Upside Down Cake”

Sarah — November 24, 2010 at 4:58 pm

This is the perfect recipe for all of the leftover ingredients I have! Hubby made me buy a 3-pound bag of cranberries because he loves them, but you only use 12 ounces for cranberry sauce so I’ve got about 2 pounds of cranberries left to use, plus lots of pumpkins and pecans. This is definitely being made this weekend!

Megan — November 24, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Oh man. That does sound good. And I know it must be if you’re repeating it because I am the same way. I’m going to make a cranberry maple pecan cake on Friday… but this is really tempting too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Stephanie — November 24, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Oh, man! If I only had more time for Thanksgiving dessert table – this is certainly one I would try.

We Are Not Martha — November 24, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Oooh this cake looks so ooey gooey and delicious! I wish there weren’t already so many desserts coming to my Thanksgiving table because I’d totally make this!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — November 24, 2010 at 6:02 pm

This looks super delicious and your photos look great too! Happy Thanksgiving to you and hubby!

Shannon — November 25, 2010 at 3:48 pm

ooooh, my, i must try this 🙂 happy thanksgiving!!

Nutmeg Nanny — November 28, 2010 at 10:14 pm

What a fabulous recipe! All the flavors sound delicious to me.

Shandra — November 29, 2010 at 4:45 am

This looks amazing! It looks so moisty yum, I should try to make this sometime, Love your blog! this is my first comment for you so I thought I’d show some appreciation for your blog, because I’ve been drooling over all your recipes for a while

"pup" — November 29, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Your photos are beautiful! The pictures I took of the actual cake didn’t look to appealing, the photos I took of the bite sized cake bites looked pretty though lol
    Good job!!

freefoodboston — December 1, 2010 at 3:21 pm

What a great recipe! You totally had me at caramel/pecan/cranberry topping.

Sophie — January 1, 2011 at 3:14 am

Just finally made this cake and it is astoundingly good! Truly the best dessert I’ve had in…oh, a very long time. Thank you for your post!

Nancy Blume-Watson — November 30, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I tried to be good, I really did! This cake was so delicious, I not only had seconds, I had a piece for breakfast the next day and for a snack later that day. This one goes on my Christmas menu!

• beantownbaker — December 1st, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

I doubled the recipe this time and you’ll remember the middle didn’t quite bake through. It also spilled over a bit, so next time, I’ll put a pan under the cake in the oven.