Blueberry Cheesecake Bars

July’s Secret Recipe Club day has arrived! This month I was paired up with Baking and the Boys. Finally, another blogger who’s as obsessed with baking as I am! I set off to browse through Katrina’s posts and found myself tagging quite a few of them. When baked goods are involved, it’s not that surprising that I saw quite a few recipes I was interested in. And, I was excited to again be introduced to a blog I had never heard of before!

I had quite a few recipes tagged and once again, deffered to Hubby. I actually thought he would go for a different recipe, but he chose these blueberry cheesecake bars. I’m so glad he did because they are AMAZING.

They start with a chewy oat base that is baked before being topped with a homamde blueberry jam filling. Next comes a layer of cheesecake (dairy free for me, of course), and last another crumble of the oat mixture on top.

We both thoroughly enjoyed the combination of the blueberry sauce and the cheesecake (again, no surprise, remember this guy?). And the oats gave a nice chewy texture that was appreciated. After we snacked on a few of these, I put the rest in plastic bags in the freezer. Hubby threw one in his lunch every day until they were gone.

One Year Ago: Blueberry Almond Cake with Lemon Drizzle and Avon Walk Recap
Two Years Ago: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Three Years Ago: Rum Punch Cupcakes and Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting

Print Save

Cheesecake Filling:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch salt

Heat oven to 350. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with non-stick foil or parchment paper.

Prepare Crust:
In a large bowl, mix oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add melted butter and stir with fork until evenly moistened (mixture will be very crumbly). Reserve 1/2 cup crumb mixture for topping; Press remaining mixture firmly over bottom of foil-lined pan. Bake 12 minutes to set crust.

Prepare Filling:
In a small saucepan, combine blueberries, sugar and cornstarch. Stir in lemon juice. Turn heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until mixture begins to thicken slightly (about 7 minutes). Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before pouring over baked crust.

Prepare Cheesecake Filling:
In bowl of electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar, vanilla and salt and beat well. Add egg and mix until combined. Pour cheesecake filling over blueberry filling.

Crumble reserved crumb mixture over top.

Bake 30 minutes until top is browned and filling is bubbly. Let cool completely in pan set on a wire rack. When cool, chill for an hour before cutting. Lift foil by ends onto a cutting board. Peel off foil; cut into 16 bars. Store in refrigerator, but serve at room temperature.

Recipe from Baking and the Boys, originally from Cookie Madness

31 Responses to “Raspberry Curd and an Interesting Twist on a Breakfast Sandwich”

Sunshine — April 21, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Thank God for the weird flavors and for not making em the only weirdo foodie out there. This sounds heavenly, and I can’t wait to try my hand at the curd this weekend.

yumventures — April 21, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I am practically addicted to lemon curd, and since raspberries are by far my favorite berry I would be scared to make this, have so much left over, and pour it over everything I could eat! The breakfast sandwich also looks good, never had sweet with the eggs, but its worth a shot! Would be great with french toast, and I love cream cheese with sweet jam 🙂

Katie — April 21, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Jen, that curd looks just wonderful! I LOVE raspberry!

hannah! — April 21, 2010 at 1:31 pm

it’s okay to have a weird tastebud. it all matters if you like it (: i think flutternutters are weird in comparison 😛 no offense, people!

Pam — April 21, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Mmm, this sounds fantastic! I’m so used to curd being citrus – this would be a nice change of pace.

Sarah — April 21, 2010 at 2:21 pm

You’re not the only one! Growing up, when we didn’t have tomato soup with our grilled cheese, there was usually jam spread on it after it was grilled. It’s a weird combo that one of my parents inroduced, but it’s surprisingly good.

Bridget — April 21, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Ooh, raspberry curd sounds fantastic.

Your sandwich seems like the breakfast version of a monte cristo sandwich, and I really like monte cristos.

mrs. c — April 21, 2010 at 5:26 pm

i have never had raspberry curd and it sounds yummy. I think it would taste great on french toast. i might just have to try this!

Joanne — April 21, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I actually love egg and jam sandwiches! I think it’s pretty weird…but oh so delicious. that curd looks fantastic! Gorgeous color.

Kelly — April 21, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Wow, this could totally solve my problem with breakfast sandwiches. I just REALLY like sweetness in my breakfast but I want to like breakfast sandwiches because egg is so filling and good for you…I am definitely going to try this!

Kerstin — April 22, 2010 at 4:11 am

I bet the sweet/savory combo is yummy! I’ve never made curd for a cake before but hope to soon – it sounds so delicious and versatile.

Elina — April 22, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I’ve heard of this combo before and I have to say – it grosses me out and intrigues me at the same time. Maybe I’ll get the guts to try it some day. You do make it sound delicious 🙂

Sook — April 22, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Oh wow, the curd looks so beautiful! The consistency looks perfect!

Kimberly Alexandra — April 22, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Funny this should come up b/c I just had a ham & egg sandwich last night and I almost always have to add strawberry jam to that! Adding raspberry curd is sure to be just as good.

🙂 Kimberly @ Poor Girl Eats Well

PS – that curd is simply gorgeous!

smellslikehome — April 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm

ooo i think i know which cake you’ll be posting soon…if it’s the one i’m thinking of, i have to say, this curd was the best filling i could imagine for that cake. this curd was just awesome (and i’m not a raspberry fan) and yours looks gorgeous!!

ABowlOfMush — April 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Wow that is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen!

whisk-kid — April 23, 2010 at 4:12 am

This certainly sounds like an interesting combination. I suppose it’s similar to a monte cristo, no? I’d love to give it a try!

A Cup Full of Cake — April 23, 2010 at 5:23 am

I saw this recipe yesterday and immediately printed it. I made Vanilla raspberry cupcakes for a friend’s birthday and wanted to make them a little extra special. This curd is amazing. Its a little thinner than lemon curd but that was perfect for what I wanted. I didn’t want that thicker consistency. I will link to your blog when I post the cupcakes with pics and recipes to mine!

ButterYum — April 23, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I believe you when you say it tastes great with eggs. I’m not a ketchup fan, but I do like it on scrambled eggs – completely changes the flavor of both!

I’m surprised your curd didn’t thicken after being chilled.

Btw, tell you hubby that it’s true cheese and jelly seem like a strange combo, but well prepared cheese platters always include fruit selections (pears, grapes, etc) – they compliment one another beautifully.

NikiTheo — April 23, 2010 at 1:06 pm

(1) Raspberry curd rocks, but I’ve never had a recipe for it, so thank you!
    (2) Berries are gerat on savory dishes! Every had a berry sauce on grilled rare venison meat? YUM!!!!
    (3) When I make over easy eggs, I always use toast covered in butter and raspberry preserves to sop up the yolk. So good!!!
    So you are in good company my dear!

Jen — April 23, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only “weirdo” that likes the jam/egg/cheese combo.

I’m also surprised it didn’t thicken up more. Even this morning, it was still the same consistency and it’s been in the fridge since I made it.

doreeen sia — April 23, 2010 at 2:29 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

A Cup Full of Cake — April 28, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Your raspberry curd recipe is amazing!! I made it and used it for some cupcakes. I credited and linked to your blog in my blog! Thanks for an awesome recipe

Joudie's Mood Food — August 7, 2010 at 9:40 pm

This certainly looks addictive, and the colour is just DIVINE! Will have to try it ….. Am curioius to see what it tastes like with egg..

Kelly — March 17, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I don’t know if I’m brave enough to try this one on an egg sandwich, but I did pin it 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 18th, 2013 @ 8:18 am

Thanks for the pin! I hope you try it some time.

Courtney — March 29, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Jen, are the amounts above written the way that you made it (doubled)? Can’t wait to try it!

• beantownbaker — April 1st, 2013 @ 8:36 am

I’ve never doubled this recipe before, but I don’t see why you couldn’t. Let me know how it works out for you.

Nicole — May 10, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I have been searching for a recipe just like this for a cake filling! Thank you so much 🙂

• beantownbaker — May 12th, 2014 @ 4:55 pm

Glad to help! I hope you enjoy it 🙂

Stacey — May 19, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Is it possible to make this without the added sugar? I’m trying to find recipes that are good for a cancer diet. Thanks