Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes

You guys all know that we love cookie dough in the Beantown Baker household. It wasn’t until recently that I was able to hear Hubby pronounce that a cookie I had made was better baked than raw. We’ve all seen the cookie dough cupcakes on the internet and I have been wanting to make them for quite some time…

I was waiting for a proper occasion to make these cupcakes because I knew they’d be special. More special than cupcakes you take to work with you. So when our friend M asked me to bake for his fiancee’s birthday party, I decided that was just the occasion I had been waiting for!

When I first tasted one of these cupcakes, I thought they were too sweet. Can you believe it? Me? Thinking something was too sweet? I realized later that day it was probably because I tasted it at 8am and really, who needs dessert at 8am? When I split one with Hubby later that night at the birthday party, I realized they weren’t too sweet at all. In fact, they were as special as I had envisioned.

These cupcakes have quite a few components. Enough that it could be overwhelming to tackle them all in one day. In fact, you can’t tackle it all in one day since the cookie dough has to freeze overnight.

Here’s what I did. I made the mini cookies a couple days in advance. The garnish could be left off, but they add to the overall look of the cupcake, so I definitely recommend including it. I chose a recipe that would still be substantial even in it’s tiny form. I stored the mini cookies in a tupperware container until I was ready to garnish my cupcakes.

I also made the cookie dough a couple days in advance. It needs to freeze overnight and would be fine in the freezer a couple days or even longer if you put them in a ziplock bag. Then the day of the party, I baked the cupcakes, made the frosting while they cooled, and then assembled them. It worked out perfectly. I have no idea how long these cupcakes would last because they all disappeared very very quickly.

Print Save

3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

To assemble the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
Make mini chocolate chip cookies (can be done a couple days in advance).

Make cookie dough balls and place in the freezer (can be done a couple days in advance).

Make the cupcakes and frosting. Once cupcakes are completely cooled, frost with brown sugar buttercream. Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top of frosting. Garnish with mini chocolate chip cookie.

For the Mini Ultimate Chewy and Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, or lightly butter them, and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg. Beat in the vanilla.

Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together in a small bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the butter-sugar mixture, and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Using a cookie scoop, scoop out a portion of dough. Make that portion into two balls of dough and place on pan. Continue until the pan is full. Bake for 6-7 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool cookies on sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.

Note: Once you have 24 mini cookies, feel free to make normal sized cookies. Using a cookie scoop, they should bake 10-12 minutes.

For the Egg-less Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Combine the butter and sugars in a mixing bowl and cream on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 mins.

Beat in milk and vanilla until incorporated and smooth.

Beat in the flour and salt until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Using a cookie scoop, shape the dough into balls. Freeze on a parchment lined baking sheet overnight.

For the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350. Prepare two muffin pans.

Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds. Add sugar. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

Add eggs one at a time, beat for 30 seconds after each.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.

Measure out milk and vanilla together.

Add about a fourth of the flour to the butter/sugar mixture and beat to combine. Add about one third the milk/vanilla mixture and beat until combined. Repeat, alternating flour and milk and ending with the flour mixture.

Scoop into cupcake papers about half to three-quarters full. Drop one frozen scoop of cookie dough into each cupcake. Do not press the dough down at all.

Bake for 20-22 minutes until edges start to turn golden.

For the Brown Sugar Frosting
Combine the butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl and cream on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.

Beat in the powdered sugar until smooth.

Beat in the salt, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth and combined.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes Recipe as seen on kevin and amanda
Mini Ultimate Chewy and Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe from Regan Daley's In The Sweet Kitchen
Egg-less Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Recipe from Picky Palate
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes Recipe from The Cupcake Blog
Brown Sugar Frosting Recipe adapted from How to Eat a Cupcake

24 Responses to “Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Goat’s Milk Ice Cream”

Eva @ Eva Bakes — June 19, 2013 at 8:07 am

This looks amazing, Jen. I think both my husband and I are slowly becoming more lactose intolerant as we get older. Goat milk ice cream may be something we’ll try soon. Can’t wait to see what other non-dairy ice creams you come up with!

• beantownbaker — June 19th, 2013 @ 10:23 am

Thanks! Like I said, coconut milk has been my go-to so far, but it’s definitely fun to try new milk varieties.

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — June 19, 2013 at 10:19 am

Looks incredible, I need to find a local goat milk supplier…

• beantownbaker — June 19th, 2013 @ 10:24 am

Yea, I definitely want to find someone local to get my goat milk from. For now, I’m just happy that I can find it at all. Even back in Boston, it wasn’t on the shelf at my grocery store.

Zainab @ Blahnik Baker — June 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm

This looks amazing and I love that you used goat interesting!

bec — June 19, 2013 at 11:03 pm

i had to give up gluten a few months ago and just realized a few weeks ago that i also must give up dairy. i am not sure if it is lactose or casein that i am intolerant of, but i love that you are doing stuff that i may be able to eat someday! (also, we bathe Olive is goat’s milk. it’s great for her eczema!).

• beantownbaker — June 20th, 2013 @ 6:58 am

Going dairy free isn’t too bad honestly.

Oh wow, bathing in goats milk sounds so luxurious!

Nutmeg Nanny — June 20, 2013 at 9:46 am

Oh wow, this looks so perfect! I’d love to try this soon 🙂

Aimee @ Violet Femme — June 24, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Sounds delicious, I’ve not thought about using goats milk in ice cream before but would love to try it!

• beantownbaker — June 24th, 2013 @ 8:24 pm

You should definitely try it!

Clarissa — June 24, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Thank you so much for posting this!! I gave up cow dairy in the winter (makes me break out) and have been glaring at my ice cream maker, because sorbets are just not the same and coconut ice cream is good, but so coconutty! I’ve been wondering if I could make ice cream with goat’s milk and now I know I can! The canister just went into the freezer 🙂

• beantownbaker — June 24th, 2013 @ 8:23 pm

Nice – glad I could help. I don’t find coconut milk very coconuty… I assume you drink goat’s milk so you’re familiar with the flavor? It definitely has a distinct taste.

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs — June 25, 2013 at 2:58 am

Goat milk?? I bet it goes fantastic with chocolate. I love this combination, I can’t wait to try it, yum!!

Mary — July 22, 2013 at 10:42 am

In the ingredients, you say condensed goat milk, but the directions say heavy cream. Which did you mean? Really excited to try out this recipe!

• beantownbaker — July 22nd, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

Sorry about that. I used condensed goat milk, not heavy cream. I’m updating the recipe now.

stone linda — September 4, 2013 at 7:30 am

I want to place an order from you to our store in The Netherlands.I want to know if you can ship here and accept credit card as a form of payment.
    Reply back asap

• beantownbaker — September 4th, 2013 @ 9:27 am

I don’t sell anything.

Eric — September 21, 2013 at 1:15 am

My wife and I raise a couple of dairy breed goats for home milk use. I don’t find that the milk tastes goaty, it’s actually richer and better tasting than cows milk in my opinion. Although before we discovered that we should pasteurize the milk asap after filtering, we did notice a musky kind of taste…… but with pasteurization started within a minute or two after milking, our milk is just as good or better than the flavor of cows milk. I just ordered an icecream maker. We will definitely use this recipe. Thanks for posting it.

• beantownbaker — September 25th, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

Fresh goat milk is not something I have tried. I would love to get my hands on some though!

Patricia Butler — January 2, 2014 at 9:36 am

I’m looking forward to trying this! We got hooked on Laloo’s goat milk ice cream several years ago, but it’s been increasingly difficult to find, and very expensive ($7.79 a pint as of 2 days ago). It would be great if I could find a homemade alternative.

• beantownbaker — January 2nd, 2014 @ 1:36 pm

I agree – Laloo’s is good, but quite expensive. Let me know what you think of this recipe if you try it out.

Julia — March 8, 2014 at 1:20 pm

GOOD NEWS!! Laloos is filling the pipeline and more flavors are coming soon to you your local Whole Foods store.

Cindy — May 13, 2015 at 8:16 am

I have dairy goats so will toss in my 2 cents worth 😉 Not all goat milk is the same!!! If you like the goaty taste, go ahead and buy your milk at the store. Personally I find the goaty taste vile and disgusting! So for those who want to try goat milk but don’t like that nasty goaty taste, you want raw milk, and the breeds vary in taste a lot. Nigerian Dwarf goats have the highest butterfat and do not have the goaty taste. Their milk is really good! Nubians are second best. It would be worth your while to find a local source of nice raw milk from either of those breeds. Healthier too, as raw milk has all the nutrients nature intended.

LeAnn Harner — July 3, 2016 at 8:23 am

With rare exceptions – goat’s milk should not taste goaty. I can’t comment about grocery store milk, but would urge you and your readers to look for direct-from-the-farm sources. There are a few goats with funny tasting milk – and those work great for making blue cheese! If a goat is healthy, has a good diet with the right balance of vitamins and minerals (very important!), and the milk is handled in a clean manner with quick cooling, it should have a rather sweet taste. I have Nubians and like Cindy above, appreciate the high butterfat. If you’re looking for a milk source – try There’s also tips there for buying safe milk.