Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes

You guys all know that we love cookie dough in the Beantown Baker household. It wasn’t until recently that I was able to hear Hubby pronounce that a cookie I had made was better baked than raw. We’ve all seen the cookie dough cupcakes on the internet and I have been wanting to make them for quite some time…

I was waiting for a proper occasion to make these cupcakes because I knew they’d be special. More special than cupcakes you take to work with you. So when our friend M asked me to bake for his fiancee’s birthday party, I decided that was just the occasion I had been waiting for!

When I first tasted one of these cupcakes, I thought they were too sweet. Can you believe it? Me? Thinking something was too sweet? I realized later that day it was probably because I tasted it at 8am and really, who needs dessert at 8am? When I split one with Hubby later that night at the birthday party, I realized they weren’t too sweet at all. In fact, they were as special as I had envisioned.

These cupcakes have quite a few components. Enough that it could be overwhelming to tackle them all in one day. In fact, you can’t tackle it all in one day since the cookie dough has to freeze overnight.

Here’s what I did. I made the mini cookies a couple days in advance. The garnish could be left off, but they add to the overall look of the cupcake, so I definitely recommend including it. I chose a recipe that would still be substantial even in it’s tiny form. I stored the mini cookies in a tupperware container until I was ready to garnish my cupcakes.

I also made the cookie dough a couple days in advance. It needs to freeze overnight and would be fine in the freezer a couple days or even longer if you put them in a ziplock bag. Then the day of the party, I baked the cupcakes, made the frosting while they cooled, and then assembled them. It worked out perfectly. I have no idea how long these cupcakes would last because they all disappeared very very quickly.

Print Save

3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

To assemble the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
Make mini chocolate chip cookies (can be done a couple days in advance).

Make cookie dough balls and place in the freezer (can be done a couple days in advance).

Make the cupcakes and frosting. Once cupcakes are completely cooled, frost with brown sugar buttercream. Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top of frosting. Garnish with mini chocolate chip cookie.

For the Mini Ultimate Chewy and Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, or lightly butter them, and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg. Beat in the vanilla.

Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together in a small bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the butter-sugar mixture, and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Using a cookie scoop, scoop out a portion of dough. Make that portion into two balls of dough and place on pan. Continue until the pan is full. Bake for 6-7 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool cookies on sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.

Note: Once you have 24 mini cookies, feel free to make normal sized cookies. Using a cookie scoop, they should bake 10-12 minutes.

For the Egg-less Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Combine the butter and sugars in a mixing bowl and cream on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 mins.

Beat in milk and vanilla until incorporated and smooth.

Beat in the flour and salt until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Using a cookie scoop, shape the dough into balls. Freeze on a parchment lined baking sheet overnight.

For the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350. Prepare two muffin pans.

Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds. Add sugar. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

Add eggs one at a time, beat for 30 seconds after each.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.

Measure out milk and vanilla together.

Add about a fourth of the flour to the butter/sugar mixture and beat to combine. Add about one third the milk/vanilla mixture and beat until combined. Repeat, alternating flour and milk and ending with the flour mixture.

Scoop into cupcake papers about half to three-quarters full. Drop one frozen scoop of cookie dough into each cupcake. Do not press the dough down at all.

Bake for 20-22 minutes until edges start to turn golden.

For the Brown Sugar Frosting
Combine the butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl and cream on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.

Beat in the powdered sugar until smooth.

Beat in the salt, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth and combined.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes Recipe as seen on kevin and amanda
Mini Ultimate Chewy and Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe from Regan Daley's In The Sweet Kitchen
Egg-less Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Recipe from Picky Palate
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes Recipe from The Cupcake Blog
Brown Sugar Frosting Recipe adapted from How to Eat a Cupcake

31 Responses to “Salted Dark Chocolate Truffle Cookies”

Eva @ Eva Bakes — May 3, 2013 at 8:29 am

Dark chocolate truffles in cookie form? Um, YES!!! I’ll take a dozen for myself and another dozen for later, please.

Erica @ In and Around Town — May 3, 2013 at 10:52 am

Wow – these sound good! and I truly do not understand how people can just “not be into chocolate!” It is my favorite!

• beantownbaker — May 8th, 2013 @ 8:26 pm

Yea, I really don’t get it either. Oh well, more for me!

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen — May 3, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Oh wow, chocolate truffle cookies sound divine! These look ridiculously good! Love that they’re salted too!

• beantownbaker — May 8th, 2013 @ 8:27 pm

I have been sprinkling salt on all of my cookies recently. It makes them much more adult and less super-sweet.

Brooke Schweers — May 3, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Yum these look divine!

tracy {pale yellow} — May 4, 2013 at 8:21 am

I’m always in need of a chocolate fix! I have several friends that claim they are not chocolate people, yet I find whenever I make something chocolate + salt, they are all over it!

• beantownbaker — May 8th, 2013 @ 8:28 pm

I definitely find that people who claim they aren’t chocolate people rarely say no to any homemade baked goods. Chocolate or otherwise.

Nutmeg Nanny — May 5, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Oh my! These look divine 🙂 I’d love to make these babies soon!

Shannon — May 6, 2013 at 1:41 pm

these look amazing!! and how thick that batter is 🙂 love the sea salt!

• beantownbaker — May 8th, 2013 @ 8:29 pm

The batter was basically ganache. You could have just made truffles from it directly.

ErinsFoodFiles — May 6, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I love any and all things dark chocolate. These look so decadent!

best friend rings — May 7, 2013 at 11:07 am

I’m curious to find out what blog platform you’re working with?
    I’m having some minor security problems with my latest blog and I’d like to find something
    more safeguarded. Do you have any suggestions?

Jane — May 13, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Wow! Those look so perfectly decadent! I’m practically drooling on my screen 😉

Amy — May 16, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Just made these. Worried I didn’t bake them long enough… however they still tasted divine. Waiting to get the verdict from my husband on them.

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:11 pm

I think underbaking these sounds like a great idea. I might have to do that next time.

Rachita — June 4, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Since I’m trying this recipe for the first time, can I halve the entire recipe?

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I didn’t see this comment until now! I don’t see why you couldn’t make a half batch of these cookies. Did you try it? How did they turn out?

Joan — June 9, 2013 at 10:08 am

These are the most amazing chocolate cookies I have ever made. Everyone with whom I have shared them have gone absolutly nuts and want the recipe. I do not wet my hands when rolling the cookies into balls—too messy. I just let my hands get sticky and rinse and dry them after making several balls. This is one of the best recipes on Pinterest.

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

Thanks for the kind words! So glad you enjoy these cookies. I was wondering if getting my hands wet actually helped with the messiness very much. Next time I’ll be sure to just go at it without dealing with the water.

Rachita — June 18, 2013 at 9:31 am

Hey! I tried halving the recipe…but it melted while in the oven. Became runny & all of them just stuck together 🙁
    I tried just one batch. Anything I can do to fix the remaining batter?

• beantownbaker — June 18th, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

Interesting… How did you account for half of an egg? And is your baking powder past it’s expiration date?

Rachita — June 18, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Ohh! Looks like I’ve added a lil too much egg. Damn! Any way I can fix the batter? Add more flour perhaps? Plz help!

• beantownbaker — June 19th, 2013 @ 7:12 am

I’d add a little more flour to see if you can balance out the extra amount of egg in there.

Rachita — June 20, 2013 at 6:49 am

I added 1/4 cup more flour & a teensy bit of baking powder to my messed up batter & they came out wonderfully! They’re so gooey & yumm that my husband & son (who never eats chocolate!) finished six cookies at one go!
    Amazing recipe!! Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it !

• beantownbaker — June 20th, 2013 @ 7:00 am

Oh GOOD! So glad you were able to make them work. Aren’t they divine?

Rachita — June 20, 2013 at 7:17 am

U bet! They are sinfully delicious! Sent some in my son’s snack pack & I have mommies calling for these cookies!
    I’m officially ur No.1 fan now! 🙂

• beantownbaker — June 20th, 2013 @ 7:18 am

Aww Thanks! 🙂

Emily — June 27, 2013 at 6:59 am

Hi, I was wondering if I could put them in the freezer instead of the fridge for a shorter period of time? If so, how long should I put them in the freezer for instead of the fridge?

• beantownbaker — June 27th, 2013 @ 8:06 am

Hm. You could definitely try it. I would think it’s still going to need an hour or so in the freezer since you want it to set up pretty well. Let me know how it turns out if you do.