Colorful Cumin Quinoa Salad

Quinoa has become a new staple in our house since recently trying it for the first time. By the way, in case you were wondering, it’s pronounced keen-wa.

There have to be hundreds of quinoa salad recipes where it’s mixed with a variety of ingredients. So far, we haven’t been disappointed. This salad is very similar to the Bell Pepper and Black Bean Couscous Saladย that Hubby loves so much. The spices are a bit different, and we both really enjoyed this salad, especially the sweetness from the mango!

One Year Ago: Spicy and Sweet Pretzel Party Mix

1/2 cup scallions, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp cumin, or more to taste
Kosher salt, to taste

Cook quinoa according to package directions. You should end up with roughly 1 cup of cooked quinoa.

In a medium bowl, combine the warm cooked quinoa, mango, red bell pepper, black beans, avocado if using, scallions, and cilantro.

In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, oil, cumin, and salt. Pour dressing over the salad and stir to combine. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Refrigerate salad for at least 4 hours before serving for best flavor. Serve cold or at room temperature.

Recipe adapted from Healthy Food for Living

13 Responses to “Homemade Green Bean Casserole”

Cathy B. @ Brightbakes — December 7, 2010 at 12:05 pm

wow..great to see a green bean casserole with ingredients that are actually found in nature! ๐Ÿ™‚ thank you!
    cathy b.

Carolyn — December 7, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I think this homemade version has to beat the pants off the one with canned mushroom soup. I mean, with portobellos and shitakes? Yes please!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — December 7, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I’ve only tried the “classic” green bean casserole for the first time like a month ago and I’m definitely recreating it this weekend – cream of mushroom and all! Yours, however, looks gourmet and unprocessed!

Sinful Sundays — December 7, 2010 at 2:08 pm

i’ve never had Green Bean casserole and want to try it so badly! I may just make the processed version to see how it tastes. Yours looks way more fabulous than I could probably ever get mine to be!

Boston Food Diary — December 7, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Yummmmm- well done in getting rid of the processed sections and going for the natural approach!!!! Looks delicious!

Melissa — December 7, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I’ve never had green bean casserole but this makes me want to try it! Yours looks really good.

stephchows — December 7, 2010 at 5:00 pm

home made green bean casserole! I didn’t know it was possible! ๐Ÿ™‚ Personally I’m in the hate category… but I’d be willing to try this version ๐Ÿ™‚

Shannon — December 7, 2010 at 5:52 pm

definitely looks better than the “traditional” version!!

Shannon — December 8, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Oooh, I am so excited about this! A friend requested green bean casserole for a small holiday party that I’m hosting, but I really, really didn’t want to make the regular version of it. This is perfect!

sabjimata — December 8, 2010 at 9:50 pm

everything’s better homemade!

Lulu — December 19, 2010 at 2:42 pm

This sounds like a very useful veggie side dish come the post-Xmas dinners. I did notice recently that oriental shops also sell roasted shredded crispy onions, if you find yourself very short of time one day (they are not expensive).

Stella — November 17, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Definitely the best green casserole recipe! I’ve been making Alton s recipe for years.

• beantownbaker — November 24th, 2013 @ 5:51 pm