Hershey’s Trip Part 1

In early December, I had the opportunity to travel to Hershey, PA for a blogger trip. You may remember the giveaway I hosted as part of the trip. Well I didn’t get around to a recap because once I got back from the trip, it was crunch time for the holidays and the new year. I finally just recently downloaded the pictures from my camera, got all my chocolate goodies put away, and sat down to write up the trip. I’m going to be featuring different aspects of the trip over a couple different posts. So hang in there!

After a bumpy turbo-prop flight from Boston, I landed at the airport and there was a driver waiting for me. I was pretty shocked at how tiny the airport was! A driver picked me up and we were off to the sweetest place on earth. My flight got in early enough that I had time to go check into my room and relax a bit before meeting up with the other bloggers.

The accomodations were amazing! Hershey’s put all of the bloggers up in the Woodside Cottages at The Hotel Hershey. They were cute cottages that had a great room that everyone had access to and then we each had our own bedroom and bathroom. So we had two keys to keep track of, but that was ok. The great room had a mini fridge, a big table, couch, TV, and fireplace. The rooms were amazing too. I had two queen size beds, a desk, TV and a HUGE bathroom with a double sink, shower, toilet, and soaking tub. Each room also had a door that went directly outside with a little porch area.

Once I threw my stuff down, I started nibbling on the chocolate bar they gave me when I checked in (I went with dark as opposed to milk chocolate) and digging through my swag bag. I was excited to find all kinds of goodies in there including a branded Flip camcorder!

After a late lunch, we headed over to Chocolate World! I have really enjoyed meeting a variety of bloggers over the past year and it was really interesting to meet some non-food bloggers. In fact, there were only two of us who called ourselves food bloggers. Fellow baker, Anna, from Cookie Madness (who I had met in NYC earlier in the year) and myself. That was it. Naomi from Bakers Royale was supposed to be there but she had a job interview come up at the last minute. I would have loved to meet her too!

Once we arrived at Chocolate World, we were introduced to the Hershey’s team who put the trip together for us. We started with the Chocolate Tour Ride where we learned all about how chocolate is made at Hershey’s.

We got to see the Really Big 3D Show that was actually really neat. I swear I had to sit on my hands not to reach up to grab the Hershey Kisses that looked like they were dropping from the sky!

And of course, we got to make our own chocolate bars. It was a lot of fun choosing the mix-ins and then designing our own labels for our candy bars. Once all the design work was done on the computer, you got to see your candy bar going through the various stations.

I chose a dark chocolate base (obviously), and pretzel sticks, chocolate cookie pieces, and butter toffee crunch for my fill-ins. I opted not to get festive sprinkles on mine, although they were really cute.

I was bummed that when my candy bar made it to the pretzel station, only four little pretzels came out! I love the salty-sweet combo so I definitely missed those pretzels when I bit into the candy bar later.

Speaking of later, here is a picture of my candy bar after I got it back to Boston and cut it open. The candy bar was huge! It was about the size of a normal Hershey’s bar but really thick. It was very chocolatey!

After that we had time to shop! Hershey’s provided a $50 gift certificate to use in the store, so I stocked up on some hard to find products, like cinnamon chips and dark chocolate cocoa.

We also got to try some new products (which they sent home with us as well). I loved the tiny Reeces peanut butter cups. I see some peanut butter cup brownies in my future!

After a long afternoon at the Chocolate World, we headed over to Harvest for dinner. I didn’t take any pictures the rest of the night, but I had an amazing Dark Chocolate Braised Pork Shank. The entire meal was amazing, and we got to meet the head of PR for the Hotel that night as well. I sat next to some awesome bloggers who do product reviews for moms.

Overall the first day at Hershey’s was amazing and chocolate filled. After a long day, I took advantage of the huge soaking tub and enjoyed an hour long chocolate bubble bath. Stay tuned for a recap of day two at Hershey’s coming up next week!

Be sure to check out all the other bloggers who were there at Hershey’s:
Blissfully Domestic
Cookie Madness
Consumer Queen
Leslie Loves Veggies
She Saved
Cool Baby Kid
Moms Need to Know
Mom Knows It All
Rockin Mama
Experimental Mommy
Caffeine and a Prayer

20 Responses to “Hershey’s Trip Part 1”

Chelsea — January 19, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Wow, that sounds like an incredible trip! I really hope to make my way over there someday. So nice of Hershey to do all that!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 19, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Wow, this looks like a fantastic trip! I went to Hershey World once when I was small and all I remember were the rides! :-)

Cupcake Kelly — January 19, 2011 at 5:48 pm

That chocolate tour sounds really fun! I went on a Callier facotry tour in Switzerland. It was pretty lame and not as high tech(they did have a tasting room though).

Cupcake Activist — January 19, 2011 at 6:05 pm

How can I get in on this action next time?! How fun!! I think I would go crazy with that much chocolate.

Sarah — January 19, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Hershey is a fun place to go, even as an adult. I go every 6 months with 2 friends of mine and we spend a day at the Chocolate Spa at Hotel Hershey (hopefully you had a chance to go – it’s AMAZING). The Hotel Hershey is gorgeous and is even better in the spring/summer, when the gardens behind the hotel are in bloom. And I love shopping at Chocolate World for all of the baking items that are so hard to find elsewhere! Can’t wait to hear about the rest of your trip.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — January 19, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Wow! Totally jealous of that trip! And I am so going on a mini pb cup search soon – my kitchen needs them :)

Kris @ everywhereorange.com — January 19, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I live about an hour from there and we were just there on New Year’s Eve. Looks like you had an amazing time. Don’t you just love how it smells like chocolate everywhere?!?!?!? I have never stayed at the hotel hershey because we live so close, but maybe hubby and i need to do a night away!!! can’t wait to see the rest of your trip!!!

Daisy — January 19, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Chocolate bubble bath?! nice! What a great experience for you. I went on a family road trip here (and to Reading, PA – Amish Country!) when I was a kid. I had so much fun!!!

Shannon — January 19, 2011 at 9:31 pm

how neat you got to make your own candy bar!! awesome choices :)

the shaws by me has cinnamon chips now, if you need any more ;)

Georgia (The Comfort of Cooking) — January 19, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Wow, what a trip! I’m somewhere between insanely jealous and ravenously hungry now, haha. Thanks for sharing! It looks like you had a lot of fun. I’m so glad I found your blog. Looking forward to exploring your recipes and seeing what’s next! – Georgia

Heather Lynne — January 20, 2011 at 1:02 am

I love Hershey:-) It’s always been one of my favorite places. It sounds like you got the royal treatment, jealous!

aimee — January 20, 2011 at 1:52 am

i have to say, i never thought of visiting hershey…but it sounds like you fun, and i am a sucker for any “food factory” tour. it was so nice of them to show you ladies such a good time!!

kitchenmisfit — January 20, 2011 at 2:41 am

Looks like you had a ton of fun! And now I want to take a chocolate bubble bath too

Amy (The Petite Filet) — January 20, 2011 at 3:04 am

Your chocolate bar looks amazing! And the store looks pretty cool too. I’d love to go to Hershey at some point.

The Small Boston Kitchen — January 20, 2011 at 12:45 pm

How cool! I love the make your own candy bar part and I agree with you, I would have wanted lots of salty pretzels in there! So fun!

Leslie M. — January 20, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Great Post and we had a fabulous time! It was wonderful meeting you and your Blog is fabulous!
    Leslie
    Leslie Loves Veggies

oliepants — January 20, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Talk about a delicious trip! You have totally made me want to go! I love the make-your-own. I definitely would be a toffee and dark chocolate person!

Julie (thelittlekitchen.net) — January 21, 2011 at 2:07 pm

What a cool trip! Looks like you had fun. Can’t wait to hear about the rest of it!

Megan — January 21, 2011 at 11:01 pm

This sounds absolutely fabulous. You might have to go into business with that candy bar. I was ready to buy one after the description… with more pretzels please. rom the accommodations to the shopping to that chocolate bath… wow!

Kerstin — January 24, 2011 at 1:05 am

How fun! I want some mini Reese’s cups to bake with!