Chewy Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies

I knew these cookies would be a big hit in our house. They’re a combination of my favorite cookie (Alton Brown’s The Chewy) and Hubby’s favorite cookie (Lumberjacks). As predicted, Hubby really enjoyed these cookies. I had mixed emotions about them though. As I have mentioned more than once, I really like chewy cookies.

But I’ve also come to realize that I like chewy, puffy cookies. I’m not a big fan of flat cookies. So while these cookies were in fact chewy, I wasn’t a huge fan since they were flat. They were good, but not my favorite. Then again, I’m weird about my cookies, because literally I got so many comments about how amazing they were at the party I took them to.

One Year Ago: Extra Counter and Cabinet Space in our Kitchen

Print Save

Chewy Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yield: 3 dozen

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 cups plus 2 Tbsp bread flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup plus 1 tsp dark molasses, not blackstrap
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups dark chocolate chips or chunks
sea salt for sprinkling on top of cookies just before baking

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

In a medium sized bowl, mix the granulated sugar and molasses until no large molasses clumps remain.

Pour the melted butter in the mixer’s work bowl. Add the sugar mixture. Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for about 3 minutes.

Add the egg, yolk, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough for about 20 minutes, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Lightly sprinkle each dough ball with a few flecks of sea salt. It really brings out the chocolate flavor.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. I like these cookies to be just a bit under-done. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Recipe from Joy The Baker

9 Responses to “Rocky Ledge Bars”

Cara — March 22, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I’d love to have one of those for breakfast right about now 🙂 Can’t wait to see what else is in store this week!

yumventures — March 22, 2010 at 1:06 pm

These look amazing and delicious! I have never made bars, but I love eating them! I can’t wait to see the rest of your recipes, and I’m sure they will inspire me to make some bars of my own 🙂

Sara — March 22, 2010 at 3:31 pm

These look great! They’ve got a little bit of everything.

KV — March 22, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Yummm. I’m excited to see what else you post this week – I always make bars instead of individual cookies, so much easier!

ErinsFoodFiles — March 22, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Those bars will always have a special place in my heart, because that’s what I debuted my blog’s new look with! Plus… they are just insanely delicious!

Looks great!

Julie — March 23, 2010 at 1:02 am

I can’t even begin to tell you what I’d give for one of those right now!

Kelly — March 23, 2010 at 11:35 am

Those look delicious and definitely something my hubby would love. I’ve been in a baking funk lately and will have to try these this week.

On another note…since you’ve changed your blog around a bit, it’s taking a very long time to load. Is it just me that’s having this problem?

Jen — March 23, 2010 at 11:39 am

Thanks for letting me know Kelly. I haven’t heard that from anyone else. I use Google Chrome and it doesn’t seem to have any issues, but I’ll definitely look in to it.

booksncooks — April 15, 2010 at 7:22 pm

These were great using up all the random baking goods in my kitchen. Wonderful recipe!