Turnip Puff

Hubby and I celebrated Thanksgiving at our house on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I didn’t want to go too overboard with the menu so I asked Hubby what the one side dish he needed on the table to make it feel like Thanksgiving. For me, it is the green bean casserole. For Hubby, it is mashed turnip. I decided to make this turnip puff instead of just heating up some frozen mashed turnip.

Hubby said these were the best turnips he had ever had (don’t let his mom find out!) The flour and eggs made the turnips more hearty and less watery. The paprika and bread crumbs on top add a nice flavor and texture as well. If you are looking for a holiday side dish, I highly recommend this one!

One other thing. You can make this ahead of time and freeze it. Then just let it defrost a few hours prior to baking it.

Print Save

Turnip Puff

Yield: 6-8

3 cups hot mashed turnip
3 Tbsp butter
2 eggs, beaten
3 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
dried bread crumbs and butter for the top

Combine turnip, butter, and beaten eggs. Mix thoroughly until butter is completely melted.

Add flour, sugar, baking powder, pepper, and salt. Mix well.

Spread into a buttered casserole dish.

Top with dried bread crumbs and paprika, and dot with butter. Bake for 25 minutes at 375.

13 Responses to “Pumpkin Cranberry Pecan Upside Down Cake”

Sarah — November 24, 2010 at 4:58 pm

This is the perfect recipe for all of the leftover ingredients I have! Hubby made me buy a 3-pound bag of cranberries because he loves them, but you only use 12 ounces for cranberry sauce so I’ve got about 2 pounds of cranberries left to use, plus lots of pumpkins and pecans. This is definitely being made this weekend!

Megan — November 24, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Oh man. That does sound good. And I know it must be if you’re repeating it because I am the same way. I’m going to make a cranberry maple pecan cake on Friday… but this is really tempting too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Stephanie — November 24, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Oh, man! If I only had more time for Thanksgiving dessert table – this is certainly one I would try.

We Are Not Martha — November 24, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Oooh this cake looks so ooey gooey and delicious! I wish there weren’t already so many desserts coming to my Thanksgiving table because I’d totally make this!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — November 24, 2010 at 6:02 pm

This looks super delicious and your photos look great too! Happy Thanksgiving to you and hubby!

Shannon — November 25, 2010 at 3:48 pm

ooooh, my, i must try this 🙂 happy thanksgiving!!

Nutmeg Nanny — November 28, 2010 at 10:14 pm

What a fabulous recipe! All the flavors sound delicious to me.

Shandra — November 29, 2010 at 4:45 am

This looks amazing! It looks so moisty yum, I should try to make this sometime, Love your blog! this is my first comment for you so I thought I’d show some appreciation for your blog, because I’ve been drooling over all your recipes for a while

"pup" — November 29, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Your photos are beautiful! The pictures I took of the actual cake didn’t look to appealing, the photos I took of the bite sized cake bites looked pretty though lol
    Good job!!

freefoodboston — December 1, 2010 at 3:21 pm

What a great recipe! You totally had me at caramel/pecan/cranberry topping.

Sophie — January 1, 2011 at 3:14 am

Just finally made this cake and it is astoundingly good! Truly the best dessert I’ve had in…oh, a very long time. Thank you for your post!

Nancy Blume-Watson — November 30, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I tried to be good, I really did! This cake was so delicious, I not only had seconds, I had a piece for breakfast the next day and for a snack later that day. This one goes on my Christmas menu!

• beantownbaker — December 1st, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

I doubled the recipe this time and you’ll remember the middle didn’t quite bake through. It also spilled over a bit, so next time, I’ll put a pan under the cake in the oven.