Lime Cilantro Sweet Potatoes with Black Beans

I love sweet potatoes. They’re so delicious whether they’re fries or just baked with some cinnamon and butter on top – yummy! I saw this recip pop up and I knew it would make a perfect snack for me on my day home from work.

We always have black beans in the house, so I grabbed the sweet potatoes at the store and whipped this together. I had told Hubby about it and he asked that I save him some for dinner. Midway through the day I texted him to tell him there might not be any leftover!

Of course I was kidding, this definitely makes a decent amount of food. But it is great as a quick lunchtime meal or a side dish. I enjoyed it both warm and at room temperature. I used frozen cilantro since that’s what I had on hand, and threw in some chopped up scallions to give more texture.

Note: I received a can of black beans from Goya and Foodbuzz recently. I was glad to be able to put these beans to good use.

One Year Ago: Rocky Road Squares
Three Years Ago: Oreo Truffles

Print Save

Lime Cilantro Sweet Potatoes with Black Beans

Yield: 4

3 tbsp olive oil
3 medium sweet potatoes
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
juice of 2 limes
zest of 1 lime
1 tsp salt, divided
pinch or two cayenne
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Preheat the oven to 450 and line 2 baking sheets with parchment or silpats.

Toss the diced sweet potatoes with oil and 1/2 tsp of salt and spread evenly on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake about 20 minutes (time will depend on the size of the sweet potato pieces), or until tender. Remove and let cool for about 5 minutes.

While the sweet potatoes are baking, whisk the lime zest, lime juice, remaining salt, and cayenne together in a large bowl. Add the black beans and sweet potatoes (after cooling slightly) and toss well. Sprinkle with cilantro, toss again, and serve.

Recipe from Cate's World Kitchen, originally from Epicurious

Boston area readers, don’t forget that I’m selling pies for Pie In the Sky. The cost of your pie will feed someone in need for an entire week! Please consider buying a pie for a good cause.

9 Responses to “Cuban Black Beans in the Crockpot”

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — September 15, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I LOVE beans. I so want to try that spice too! I wonder if Penzeys has it? Otherwise I wouldn’t know where to go. I’ll have to figure that one out. This looks like a recipe that I would LOVE!

Elina — September 15, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Sounds delicious. My husband is obsessed with black beans so I’m sure he’d love this simple meal. Perfect for a busy weekend day (at home)! 🙂

Sweet Souhen Gal — September 15, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Sorry to sound dumb but what is Sofrito – how do you prepare it?
    Recipe sounds wonderful. Some of the best Cuban food I have eaten was in Ibor City in Tampa. Yummy
    Debbie, if you have a Super Walmart in your area, they are carrying a whole line of hispanic foods and spices. I know I am going to check there..

Jen — September 15, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Phyllis – The instructions that follow Prepare the sofrito are how you do it. I have updated the recipe to be more clear.

Debbi – I get mine at Stop and Shop. I’m not sure if Penzeys would have it. If you can’t find it, I can send you a small packet.

amanda @ fake ginger — September 15, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Oh yum, I wish my husband would eat beans. I think I’ll make these next time he goes out of town.

Eliana — September 15, 2010 at 6:39 pm

These look delicious. Being Latina myself, rice and beans were an everyday thing when I ws growing up too. Black beans were my favorite.

Krystal — September 15, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Ahhh, it looks fantastic Jen! This picture makes it look so fabulous!

Sofrito – is just a term for the bell peppers/onions and garlic – it’s the cuban trinity of cooking!

Penzeys – doesn’t carry this spice. But I’m pretty sure Badia (the maker) can be found on, too!

YUM and YUM…my MIL would be so proud of you!

nutmegnanny — September 16, 2010 at 3:20 am

These look great! I love Cuban food 🙂

tobiascooks! — September 17, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I have to see if I can find such beans somewhere her in Greece.