Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry sauce is such a classic Thanksgiving dish. I almost feel silly posting this recipe, since it just came from the Ocean Spray website, but since we love it so much, I decided it was blog-worthy. This is the only recipe I make and it always gets rave reviews. And it’s so easy, there’s no excuse for eating cranberry sauce from a can.

You’ll notice that I took down all the pinkness from my blog today. I’ve also got some fall favorites on my side bar and brought back my header from August, so be sure to stop by if you’re reading through a reader to check it out!

Two Years Ago: Halloween M&M Pretzel Treats
Three Years Ago: Deviled Eggs

Print Save

Cranberry Sauce

Yield: ~2 cups

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
12 ounces fresh cranberries, rinsed and drained

Directions:

Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil; add cranberries, return to boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover and cool completely at room temperature. Refrigerate until serving time.

Recipe from Ocean Spray

Boston area readers, don’t forget that I’m selling pies for Pie In the Sky. The cost of your pie will feed someone in need for an entire week! Please consider buying a pie for a good cause.

21 Responses to “Coconut Almond Cake with Blackberry Lime Curd”

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — March 21, 2013 at 9:14 am

I am really very terrible at frosting/decorating cake :\ This came out way better than anything I could make!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

Ha – I’m pretty bad too. That’s why I love putting stuff on the sides. Coconut does a good job of hiding my sloppy decorating skills.

Nutmeg Nanny — March 21, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Coconut and almond, you’ve already got me reeled in 🙂 two of my favorite flavors rolled into what looks like a moist, fluffy cake. YUM

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board — March 21, 2013 at 6:57 pm

This cake looks so beautiful and the texture is perfect! I love curd as a filling between cake layers but i never knew the trick for preventing it from seeping out – thanks!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

Yea, it’s definitely very helpful. Even more so when you ACTUALLY do it 😉

Megan — March 21, 2013 at 7:20 pm

We’ve all had those cake experiences. It looks like it turned out well in the end! And it sounds delicious!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

Glad to hear I’m not the only one. I think it’s easy to get wrapped up in thinking we all need to project that all of our baking/cooking endeavors are hugely successful…

Ashley — March 21, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Regardless of any kitchen mishaps, this cake looks divine! Layer cakes always look so special, and the addition of fruit here makes me swooooon!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

I agree. Layer cakes always look special 🙂

Michelle — March 22, 2013 at 7:49 am

Oh this looks amazing. And aren’t we all our own worst critics when we bake? I can’t tell you how many times I say something is terrible and my husband looks as me like I’m crazy.

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:21 pm

I agree. At the end of the day, it tasted delicious and no one knew about all the issues I had with the cake. I did want to keep it real on the blog and not give anyone any false sense that things are always easy for me…

Erica @ In and Around Town — March 22, 2013 at 9:04 am

I always shy away from layer cakes – yours always come out well, I need some more practice I think! Your “mistakes” are great learning points – did not know about the frosting damn, but it makes so much sense!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

That’s why I wanted to talk about them. I definitely could have posted about this cake without mentioning any of the issues I had. I’m hoping they’ll help someone (myself included) to learn something for the next time they tackle a layer cake. Yours will definitely improve with practice. Mine surely are. I really want to make that coconut cake you just posted!

Shannon — March 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm

i’m always hard on myself too, but you wouldn’t know by the taste i’m sure! looks absolutely wonderful, not to mention i’m drooling over the flavor combo 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:24 pm

I agree, I think we all are. I wanted to keep it real with this post in case anyone else found it to be a difficult set of recipes…

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen — March 23, 2013 at 4:18 am

Yum, your cake looks so delicious and I really love the sound of the blackberry lime curd!

Laura Dembowski — April 26, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I love coconut cake, and blackberries are my favorite fruit. Such a great idea to put them together. This cake is gorgeous! I would happily take a large slice . . . or maybe the whole thing 😉

• beantownbaker — April 27th, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Then you would definitely love this cake!

Kristina Koranek — August 10, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Could anyone post the blackberry lime curd recipe? The link is no longer working.

Thanks!