Caramelized Butternut Squash

Butternut squash is one of my favorite foods. It’s so versatile and can be used is sweet or savory dishes. I have quite a few butternut squash recipes that I’ve already made, so I decided to make a Squash tag. Be sure to check it out.

Since I love butternut squash so much, I thought it would be appropriate to feature a week of butternut squash recipe. I’m going to kick off the week with a recipe that so simple and so delicious, it’s almost silly to call it a recipe.

Most recipes for roasted squash result in a savory dish, but with the simple addition of some brown sugar to the mix, you can transform roasted squash into a sweet little side dish.

In a moment of full disclosure, I have to admit that when I made this one afternoon while working from home, I and then proceeded to eat the entire batch of roasted squash as my lunch. Then I made it the next night for dinner. Hubby agreed that it was delicious.

Print Save

Caramelized Butternut Squash

Yield: 2

Ingredients:

1 lb butternut squash
1.5 tbsp butter, melted
1 Tbsp brown sugar
salt and pepper

Directions:

Heat oven to 400°F.

Peel squash and chop into large pieces.

Combine squash, butter, sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss.

Pour squash out onto a rimmed baking sheet.

Bake for about an hour or until browned.

Recipe from Food.com

Boston area readers, don’t forget that I’m selling pies for Pie In the Sky. The cost of your pie will feed someone in need for an entire week! Please consider buying a pie for a good cause.

7 Responses to “Raw Summer Vegetable “Pasta””

Daisy — September 23, 2010 at 12:25 am

This looks delicious! I love that you guys plowed through it as an afternoon snack!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — September 23, 2010 at 12:30 am

I love using veggies as a healthy substitute for pasta. My favorite is a little more obvious – spaghetti squash!

Also, I got your DM about the photo. I’ve been crazy busy but I’ll email it to everyone tonight!

nutmegnanny — September 23, 2010 at 1:11 am

What a great salad! It’s perfect for saying goodbye to summer 🙂

A Bitchin' Kitchen — September 23, 2010 at 3:09 am

This looks so good! Yummy produce is really the only thing I’ll miss about summer time. I came across your site earlier today while searching for a pumpkin spice cheesecake brownie recipe (which I plan on making tomorrow btw). You have some great recipes and I’ll definitely be returning!

Lisa — September 23, 2010 at 4:50 am

What a great vegetarian dish. With all those gorgeous colors it’s a feast for the eyes as well as for the palate.

Eliana — September 23, 2010 at 3:17 pm

What a gorgeous dish. It looks super delicious too.

The Small Boston Kitchen — September 25, 2010 at 2:21 pm

YUM! Great way to (healthily) soak up the last bits of summer flavors! Looks great…