Homemade Snickers Candy Bars

For those of you who know me in real life, you may remember a Facebook post claiming that I was looking for a new Official Taste Tester for my blog…

You see, Hubby’s lack of excitement about candy does lead to some issues. When I presented him with one of these guys, he said it was good and went on about his business. I asked him what it tasted like. He said I dunno chocolate and caramel and peanuts.

Of course, the correct answer is a Snickers bar, but Hubby didn’t think of that. He had to GOOGLE it to save his title as Official Taste Tester. It was a sad day in the Beantown Baker household.

As I’m sure you all figured out, once I decided to make the Three Musketeer’s bars, I decided to also make the Milky Way bars and the Snickers bars. I figured I was the majority of the way there so why not. These were by far my favorite. But that’s no surprise, because if I were to choose a candy bar of those three, it would be a Snickers bar without a doubt.

One Year Ago: Marshmallow Fondant on Chocolate Cupcakes
Two Years Ago: Pink Cupcake Bites

Print Save

Homemade Snickers Candy Bars

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (8 oz.) tub frozen whipped topping, thawed

Kraft caramels, unwrapped
Roasted peanuts, chopped

2 cups milk chocolate chips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Line an 8 or 9-inch square pan with wax paper.

In a medium bowl, melt semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave at fifty percent power, or use a double boiler.

Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat melted chocolate for about 30 seconds.

Add whipped topping to melted chocolate and beat until well combined and fluffy, 30-60 seconds more.

Spread chocolate mixture evenly into prepared pan (if mixture is too stiff, press into pan with lightly dampened hands). Place in freezer for 30 minutes.

Remove pan from freezer and turn chocolate mixture onto a cutting board; cut into one-inch squares. Return squares to freezer for another 15-20 minutes.

Melt the caramels according to package instructions (or make your own!). Allow caramel to cool slightly. Spread a small amount of caramel on top of each square of the chocolate mixture.

Dip caramel covered end of the square into chopped peanuts. Return squares to freezer for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt milk chocolate chips with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and stir until well combined. Dip frozen chocolate squares into melted chocolate to coat. Place on wax paper to set. Keep chocolates in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Recipe adapted from Let's Dish

Don’t forget about my Power of Pink Challenge – make something PINK by the end of the month to raise Breast Cancer Awareness!

12 Responses to “It’s good to be back in the kitchen!! Martha Stewart’s Buttermilk Cupcakes with Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream”

Jigginjessica — July 10, 2009 at 12:47 pm

These look and sounds great! Also thanks for the link to the cupcake carrier! I’ve been wanting to buy one for awhile now but didn’t like that Wilton’s only held 12.

Cate — July 10, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Those paper cupcake liners are so pretty! I keep seeing recipes from that book and I really want to get myself a copy!
    Do you think you could add a few extra ounces of chocolate to the frosting without messing up the texture?

Erin — July 10, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I just posted cupcakes from that book today too! And I also have the Wilton cupcake carrier. Not to thrilled with it either, but I got it because I needed something to carry a huge sheet cake in. I would love a double decker.

Your cupcakes look great, as always! I need to work on my frosting skills. (Hence the reason I posted a recipe that could be frosted in a “rustic” style!)

Jen — July 10, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Jessica – Definitely check out that carrier. Not sure if you guys have a Container Store, but I think BB&B carries it now too.

Cate – I’m not sure if more chocolate would ruin the texture… Possibly. I was underwhelmed when I tasted the frosting by itself, but when it was on the cupcake, it was really good. The subtle flavor paired really well with this cupcake. I just really prefer my chocolate frosting to be really chocolatey!

Erin – Thanks! I’m always try to improve my skills. This was the first time I’ve tried the rosette. I usually pipe from the outside in.

Ingrid — July 10, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Yay, for packages in the mail and new kitchens!

I like how you frosted the cupcakes, very pretty. I haven’t made SMBC yet but I’m gonna soon. Sounds good!

Happy Friday!

Jennifer — July 11, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I need that cupcake carrier!! Thanks for the link to it!! Ive been on the out look for a great one for a while!

These are great cupcakes! Well done!!

craftybitch — July 13, 2009 at 3:07 pm

These look awesome! What icing tip did you use, if you don’t mind me asking?

Jen — July 13, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I used my trusty old 1M tip for the frosting.

craftybitch — July 13, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Awesome, thank you!

Scott W. — July 23, 2009 at 12:34 am

The frosting is so delicate looking. Just the way Martha Stewart would like it.

Little Ewe — July 30, 2009 at 11:59 am

love the recioes and will definately try them but as i live in the uk please could you give me imperial measures rather than cupa and sticks thanks:)

articia — July 12, 2010 at 2:34 pm

when I make chocolate SMBC I actually use cocoa powder. I think it gives it a stronger chocolate flavor without messing with the texture. Maybe you could try adding some cocoa powder if the melted chocolate doesn’t taste bold enough.

also, I saw those snap n’ stack cupcake carriers at my local Meijer and bought 2. they weren’t cheap so as I was driving home I was deciding if I was going to regret spending nearly $50 on the 2 of them, but I couldn’t be happier with them. they’re come in *so* handy.