Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese

Hubby and I went apple picking a couple weeks ago, so I’ve been trying to use up our apples. We’ve been eating a lot of them just raw since we both take two apples in our lunch every day. I also made a big batch of cranberry applesauce, which Hubby LOVES. I was working from home the other day and typed apple into my Google Reader to see what would pop up.

Amidst all the cobblers, pies, and other desserts, there was this sandwich. My stomach was grumbling for lunch so I threw it together. Wow, this sandwich is awesome. And it’s really easy to make.

Start by caramelizing the apples in some cinnamon, butter, and brown sugar.

While the apples are cooking, get out two pieces of bread and add some cheese. I shredded some goat milk Gouda since that’s what I had on hand. Cheddar would be awesome too.

When the apples are done, pour them onto one of the pieces of bread. Then top the apples with the other piece of bread.

Add more butter to your pan and plot down the sandwich. Then walk away for about 3 minutes. You’re going to want to poke at it, but don’t!

Flip your sandwich and let the other side cook for about 2 minutes. I like my grilled cheese like I like my bacon and toasted marshmallows – burnt and crispy. If you don’t want yours this “well done” just flip is sooner.

Take the sandwich off the pan and let it cool a minute. Then cut in half on the diagonal. Grilled cheese just tastes better when it’s cut this way. Trust me. Try not to burn your tongue like I did. I just couldn’t wait to dig in.

I did want to add that this sandwich is very much like apple pie in a sandwich. So if you’re not up for something quite so sweet, try this – use 1/2 of an apple instead of a whole apple per sandwich and add a few slices of bacon. The more savory version is Hubby’s favorite.

Print Save

Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese

Yield: 1

1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 dash of cinnamon
1 apple (peeled, cored and sliced)
2 thick slices of good cheese (cheddar or gouda work well)
2 slices of good bread
1 Tbsp butter

Melt the butter in a non-stick pan.

Add the sugar and cinnamon and cook until bubbly.

Add the apples and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.

Assemble sandwich and grill until golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side.

Recipe from Closet Cooking

Don’t forget about my Power of Pink Challenge – make something PINK by the end of the month to raise Breast Cancer Awareness!

27 Responses to “Chocolate Goat Cheese Mousse Tart”

Eva @ Eva Bakes — June 7, 2013 at 8:27 am

What an awesome way to feature goat cheese in a dessert! I never thought of turning it into a chocolate mousse – sounds like I need to try this soon. 🙂

• beantownbaker — June 7th, 2013 @ 8:51 am

You definitely should. I know goat cheese isn’t for everyone, but we really enjoyed the subtle flavor in the mousse.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — June 7, 2013 at 8:42 am

Jen, I love everything about this tart – from the chocolate crust to the mousse and the pretty strawberries on top. Yum! Enjoy your birthday month 🙂

• beantownbaker — June 7th, 2013 @ 8:52 am

Thanks for humoring me on the whole birthday month thing 🙂

Krystal R. — June 7, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Ohhh lalalalala, I totally dig this dessert even more because it has goat cheese and strawberries…some of my fave foods!! Happy Birthday month…you better party and eat like it’s your birthday!!

• beantownbaker — June 7th, 2013 @ 1:52 pm

Oh I’m definitely going to party like it’s my birthday! All month long 🙂

Shannon — June 10, 2013 at 10:24 am

oh yes to the goat cheese in this tart! fabulous. happy birthday month 🙂 you might need to make this a few more times to celebrate?!

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:09 pm

Oh I have been baking plenty of deliciousness this month to celebrate 🙂 You know how hard it is to repeat recipes…

Karen — June 10, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Love the idea of incorporating goat cheese in a dessert- I have never seen it down with chocolate before. I will definitely be trying this soon as I have some goat cheese in my fridge waiting to be used 🙂

• beantownbaker — June 11th, 2013 @ 7:20 am

Oh yea, goat cheese and chocolate go really well together.

Carolyn — June 11, 2013 at 8:26 am

Oh my, the use of goat cheese in this is phenomenal! I would love to try it!

• beantownbaker — June 11th, 2013 @ 8:46 am

Definitely do! And you could top it with any fruit you like. I think raspberries would be good too.

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs — June 11, 2013 at 9:39 am

Chocolate must work great with goat cheese since they’re both utterly delicious!! This recipe looks magnificent omg I think I would be able to eat the whole tart by myself *-*

Justine @ Cooking and Beer — June 11, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Goat cheese is one of my favorite ingredients to use in desserts, and your tart looks soooo delicious! Thanks for sharing =) Definitely a must try this summer.

Nutmeg Nanny — June 12, 2013 at 10:33 am

Oh wow this is gorgeous! I love this recipe, I bet it tastes heavenly!

Beth — June 25, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I just finished making my second one for this week…we love it…it is so smooth and rich and well D E L I C I O U S!!!…my grandson requested the second one but truth be told I was gonna make it anyway…the bittersweet chocolate and the cocoa in the crust are what make it….if anyone out there hasn’t tried it do so you will be in love….

• beantownbaker — June 25th, 2013 @ 5:38 pm

So glad you’ve enjoyed it! I definitely need to make this again. I have already made it with raspberries but want to try blackberries next.

Beth — July 1, 2013 at 6:10 am

you wont believe it but I made this AGAIN yesterday…I did a play on bananas foster on the top…it was a hit with my company…and good recipes for sweets for the 4th?….

• beantownbaker — July 3rd, 2013 @ 5:02 pm

Wow – bananas foster on top. I would never have thought of that! I am making this tart and this strawberry shortcake for the 4th.

Shashi @ — July 15, 2013 at 11:48 am

So sinful and delicious looking 🙂

NaturesComplete — July 17, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Holy yumminess. I never thought of putting goat cheese in. My mouth is watering at the thought. Strawberries are my absolute favorite berry of all time. I will have to for sure try this recipe, Got it saved to my personal file. thank you.

Laura — August 3, 2013 at 12:07 am

I love chocolate mousse and I love goat cheese, so clearly I need to make this!

Also, there is strawberry picking (not sure it is organic though if that matters) up here near Oxford. I can get you the info for next year if driving up here is not a problem (I imagine it depends on what side of Cinci you live 🙂 ).

• beantownbaker — August 4th, 2013 @ 6:44 pm

I definitely don’t mind driving for freshly picked strawberries!!

Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste — September 20, 2013 at 6:17 am

I love absolutely EVERYTHING about this recipe! It’s hard to beat mixing tangy goat cheese with chocolate and berries. What a unique recipe!

• beantownbaker — September 25th, 2013 @ 4:11 pm

It tastes as good as it sounds! I hope you try it.

Lauren — June 1, 2015 at 5:49 pm

WOW! What a wonderful recipe! Definitely one of my new favorites! Happy birthday month!

April — March 1, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Does this go in the fridge covered or uncovered and how long does it last? Thanks!