Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese

Hubby and I went apple picking a couple weeks ago, so I’ve been trying to use up our apples. We’ve been eating a lot of them just raw since we both take two apples in our lunch every day. I also made a big batch of cranberry applesauce, which Hubby LOVES. I was working from home the other day and typed apple into my Google Reader to see what would pop up.

Amidst all the cobblers, pies, and other desserts, there was this sandwich. My stomach was grumbling for lunch so I threw it together. Wow, this sandwich is awesome. And it’s really easy to make.

Start by caramelizing the apples in some cinnamon, butter, and brown sugar.

While the apples are cooking, get out two pieces of bread and add some cheese. I shredded some goat milk Gouda since that’s what I had on hand. Cheddar would be awesome too.

When the apples are done, pour them onto one of the pieces of bread. Then top the apples with the other piece of bread.

Add more butter to your pan and plot down the sandwich. Then walk away for about 3 minutes. You’re going to want to poke at it, but don’t!

Flip your sandwich and let the other side cook for about 2 minutes. I like my grilled cheese like I like my bacon and toasted marshmallows – burnt and crispy. If you don’t want yours this “well done” just flip is sooner.

Take the sandwich off the pan and let it cool a minute. Then cut in half on the diagonal. Grilled cheese just tastes better when it’s cut this way. Trust me. Try not to burn your tongue like I did. I just couldn’t wait to dig in.

I did want to add that this sandwich is very much like apple pie in a sandwich. So if you’re not up for something quite so sweet, try this – use 1/2 of an apple instead of a whole apple per sandwich and add a few slices of bacon. The more savory version is Hubby’s favorite.

Print Save

Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese

Yield: 1

1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 dash of cinnamon
1 apple (peeled, cored and sliced)
2 thick slices of good cheese (cheddar or gouda work well)
2 slices of good bread
1 Tbsp butter

Melt the butter in a non-stick pan.

Add the sugar and cinnamon and cook until bubbly.

Add the apples and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.

Assemble sandwich and grill until golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side.

Recipe from Closet Cooking

Don’t forget about my Power of Pink Challenge – make something PINK by the end of the month to raise Breast Cancer Awareness!

13 Responses to “Pumpkin Cranberry Pecan Upside Down Cake”

Sarah — November 24, 2010 at 4:58 pm

This is the perfect recipe for all of the leftover ingredients I have! Hubby made me buy a 3-pound bag of cranberries because he loves them, but you only use 12 ounces for cranberry sauce so I’ve got about 2 pounds of cranberries left to use, plus lots of pumpkins and pecans. This is definitely being made this weekend!

Megan — November 24, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Oh man. That does sound good. And I know it must be if you’re repeating it because I am the same way. I’m going to make a cranberry maple pecan cake on Friday… but this is really tempting too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Stephanie — November 24, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Oh, man! If I only had more time for Thanksgiving dessert table – this is certainly one I would try.

We Are Not Martha — November 24, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Oooh this cake looks so ooey gooey and delicious! I wish there weren’t already so many desserts coming to my Thanksgiving table because I’d totally make this!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — November 24, 2010 at 6:02 pm

This looks super delicious and your photos look great too! Happy Thanksgiving to you and hubby!

Shannon — November 25, 2010 at 3:48 pm

ooooh, my, i must try this 🙂 happy thanksgiving!!

Nutmeg Nanny — November 28, 2010 at 10:14 pm

What a fabulous recipe! All the flavors sound delicious to me.

Shandra — November 29, 2010 at 4:45 am

This looks amazing! It looks so moisty yum, I should try to make this sometime, Love your blog! this is my first comment for you so I thought I’d show some appreciation for your blog, because I’ve been drooling over all your recipes for a while

"pup" — November 29, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Your photos are beautiful! The pictures I took of the actual cake didn’t look to appealing, the photos I took of the bite sized cake bites looked pretty though lol
    Good job!!

freefoodboston — December 1, 2010 at 3:21 pm

What a great recipe! You totally had me at caramel/pecan/cranberry topping.

Sophie — January 1, 2011 at 3:14 am

Just finally made this cake and it is astoundingly good! Truly the best dessert I’ve had in…oh, a very long time. Thank you for your post!

Nancy Blume-Watson — November 30, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I tried to be good, I really did! This cake was so delicious, I not only had seconds, I had a piece for breakfast the next day and for a snack later that day. This one goes on my Christmas menu!

• beantownbaker — December 1st, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

I doubled the recipe this time and you’ll remember the middle didn’t quite bake through. It also spilled over a bit, so next time, I’ll put a pan under the cake in the oven.