Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese

Hubby and I went apple picking a couple weeks ago, so I’ve been trying to use up our apples. We’ve been eating a lot of them just raw since we both take two apples in our lunch every day. I also made a big batch of cranberry applesauce, which Hubby LOVES. I was working from home the other day and typed apple into my Google Reader to see what would pop up.

Amidst all the cobblers, pies, and other desserts, there was this sandwich. My stomach was grumbling for lunch so I threw it together. Wow, this sandwich is awesome. And it’s really easy to make.

Start by caramelizing the apples in some cinnamon, butter, and brown sugar.

While the apples are cooking, get out two pieces of bread and add some cheese. I shredded some goat milk Gouda since that’s what I had on hand. Cheddar would be awesome too.

When the apples are done, pour them onto one of the pieces of bread. Then top the apples with the other piece of bread.

Add more butter to your pan and plot down the sandwich. Then walk away for about 3 minutes. You’re going to want to poke at it, but don’t!

Flip your sandwich and let the other side cook for about 2 minutes. I like my grilled cheese like I like my bacon and toasted marshmallows – burnt and crispy. If you don’t want yours this “well done” just flip is sooner.

Take the sandwich off the pan and let it cool a minute. Then cut in half on the diagonal. Grilled cheese just tastes better when it’s cut this way. Trust me. Try not to burn your tongue like I did. I just couldn’t wait to dig in.

I did want to add that this sandwich is very much like apple pie in a sandwich. So if you’re not up for something quite so sweet, try this – use 1/2 of an apple instead of a whole apple per sandwich and add a few slices of bacon. The more savory version is Hubby’s favorite.

Print Save

Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese

Yield: 1

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 dash of cinnamon
1 apple (peeled, cored and sliced)
2 thick slices of good cheese (cheddar or gouda work well)
2 slices of good bread
1 Tbsp butter

Directions:

Melt the butter in a non-stick pan.

Add the sugar and cinnamon and cook until bubbly.

Add the apples and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.

Assemble sandwich and grill until golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side.

Recipe from Closet Cooking

Don’t forget about my Power of Pink Challenge – make something PINK by the end of the month to raise Breast Cancer Awareness!

11 Responses to “Roasted Beet Hummus”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 13, 2010 at 12:29 pm

That color is unreal! I’ve made beet green hummus but I’ll have to try using the actual beets sometime!

KV — October 13, 2010 at 12:33 pm

wow that is pink!! I’ve been trying to think of a recipe for natural pink too instead of just food coloring but I can’t figure anything out

Courtney — October 13, 2010 at 3:14 pm

What a great idea – it’s such a beautiful color!

Sara — October 13, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Pink is my favorite color! I’m not a fan of beets, but I would make this just for how cool it looks. 🙂

camelia — October 13, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

The Small Boston Kitchen — October 13, 2010 at 10:09 pm

You even made hummus look amazing!! That color is stunning! How pretty would that look on a table at a party?

Kerstin — October 14, 2010 at 4:18 am

How fun – I love beets and the fuchsia is such a conversation piece!

We Are Not Martha — October 14, 2010 at 1:41 pm

This is SO pretty!! And perfect for Breast Cancer Awareness Month! I’m sure it’s delicious too 🙂

Sues

ChefBearden — October 15, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I have made a similar recipe in the past and when serving, place a swipe of creme fraiche in the center, makes it look even more dynamic! Great stuff, great way to get people to eat beets!

Miss Strawberry — October 18, 2010 at 9:08 pm

That is so PINK! And so CREATIVE!!!! Love it, love it!! I’ve never had beet hummus either…but it actually sounds delicious…

nutmegnanny — October 21, 2010 at 2:40 am

This looks delicious! It reminded me of borscht…yum!