Raw Summer Vegetable “Pasta”

Fall is definitely starting to show signs of emerging here in Boston. I’m still trying to hold on to these last few days of summer eating before I fully embrace the pumpkin spice lattes and desserts that I associate with Fall.

This “pasta” salad is so easy to throw together and is very delicious. Hubby and I sat down at the table and plowed through half of it as an afternoon snack. If you can still get some end of summer zucchini and tomatoes, you should definitely try this!

Hubby and I both agreed that the amount of tomatoes/garlic/herbs/etc would be perfect for 1/2 the amount of squash. And since this salad doesn’t keep very well, if you just cut the amount of squash in 1/2 then you’d get two servings. I have written the recipe below to reflect these changes.

One Year Ago: Steak Fajitas with Chimichurri and Drunken Peppers
Two Years Ago: Lime and Coconut Margarita Cupcakes

Print Save

Raw Summer Vegetable "Pasta"

Yield: 2

1 zucchini squash, shaved thinly lengthwise with a vegetable peeler
1 yellow summer squash, shaved thinly lengthwise with a vegetable peeler
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
5 oil-packed sundried tomatoes, drained and thinly sliced
1/2 shallot, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp finely chopped basil
1 tsp finely chopped oregano

In a large bowl, gently toss together all ingredients. Transfer to a platter and serve immediately.

Recipe as seen on Erin's Food Files, originally from Whole Foods

17 Responses to “Dorito Oreo Popcorn”

Ashley — January 30, 2013 at 9:51 am

I am intrigued! I like Oreos and Doritos separately, so I will have to give this popcorn a try. My three-year-old is King of Interesting Combinations, so I know I’ll have a buddy to share it with. 🙂

• beantownbaker — January 30th, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

Hubby definitely kind of gave me a weird look when I was chowing down on this 😉

chelsea @ serves two — January 30, 2013 at 11:30 pm

no way! i just posted some doritos chocolate chip cookies on my blog! love the chocolate/dorito combo! this looks super delish 🙂

• beantownbaker — January 31st, 2013 @ 1:59 pm

That is crazy! I bet Doritos in cookies is amazing!

Karen — February 1, 2013 at 12:32 am

Love this idea! Definitely going to try it soon. I am also thinking Sun Chips would be an awesome part of the combination

nicole @ i am a Honey Bee — February 1, 2013 at 4:06 pm

this is weird… I like it.

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

weird? absolutely. delicous? for sure 😉

Megan — February 1, 2013 at 7:22 pm

What an interesting combo. I always did popcorn, Sourpatch Kids, and Raisinets at the movies, so I can see how this would work.

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

Woah – now that’s an interesting combination. I like all of those things separately. I’m going to have to try them all together the next time I go to a movie.

Kris @everywhereorange.com — February 2, 2013 at 4:38 pm

This sounds amazing. i should admit that i am 37 weeks pregnant and have eaten a ton of oreos and doritos this pregnancy, why oh why didn’t i think to put them together!!! thank you!!!!

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:46 pm

Haha, glad I gave you the idea. Hope you like them together 😉

Erica @ In and Around Town — February 5, 2013 at 10:39 am

This combination is crazy, but that just means I am going to have to go home and try it. This could totally hit the spot I am sure 🙂

• beantownbaker — February 6th, 2013 @ 11:43 am

Let me know what you think if you do try it

Joy — February 7, 2013 at 8:57 am

I happen to think this sounds perfect, and not at all strange. But i’m the girl that likes to eat dortitos inside my PB&J sandwiches, and dip french fries in milkshakes…..so to me this makes sense! I’ll have to give it a try – thanks for posting!

• beantownbaker — February 7th, 2013 @ 6:20 pm

OMG I totally forgot about Doritos inside a PB&J!! I used to do that too. MMmmm.

Sues — February 7, 2013 at 11:08 am

OK this is totally weird, but I would totally eat it. Talk about a junk food dream!

• beantownbaker — February 7th, 2013 @ 6:18 pm

It’s totally a junk food dream 🙂