Multi-seed Crackerbread

Are you guys getting sick of hearing about the trip to King Arthur Flour yet? Well I’ve got two more posts detailing the recipes we learned and I’ll be announcing the winner of the KAF giveaway tomorrow. If you haven’t entered yet, be sure to do that before NOON today!

I was excited to learn that we’d be making crackers since I’ve never made my own. I had fun playing around with various seed/herb combinations. I think my favorite was the one with just sesame seeds and salt.

Hubby and I broke these into pieces and ate them with some hummus. We liked the crispy ones the best, which is obviously easier to control at home in your own kitchen. I would definitely make these again. They were very easy and how impressive is it to say you made your own crackers?!?

One Year Ago: Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Brownies

2 tsp salt
1 cup water
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup assorted seeds such as sesame, poppy, fennel, caraway, and anise
2 Tbsp assorted dried herbs such as rosemary, basil, dill, taragon, and thyme
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp course salt (optional)

Combine the flours, cornmeal and salt in a medium bowl. Mix in the olive oil thoroughly and then add the water. You may not need all of the water, so hold back a few tablespoons and check the texture. It should be stiff, not crumbly.

Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead it until it's a stiff yet supple ball of dough. Add more flour if the dough is too wet. The dough will not require a long kneading period, just long enough to get it to hold together well.

Combine the seeds, herbs, pepper, and course salt in a small bowl.

Divide the dough into eight equal pieces and cover with plastic wrap.

Working with one piece at a time, scatter about 1 tablespoon of the seed mixture on the work surface. Press the dough onto the seeds and begin to roll it out with a rolling pin. If the dough sticks, flip it over, apply more seeds and continue rolling.

When the dough is as thin as you can get it, place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 7-10 minutes, or until the top is browned. Cool completely before serving.

Recipe from King Arthur Flour

9 Responses to “Cuban Black Beans in the Crockpot”

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — September 15, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I LOVE beans. I so want to try that spice too! I wonder if Penzeys has it? Otherwise I wouldn’t know where to go. I’ll have to figure that one out. This looks like a recipe that I would LOVE!

Elina — September 15, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Sounds delicious. My husband is obsessed with black beans so I’m sure he’d love this simple meal. Perfect for a busy weekend day (at home)! 🙂

Sweet Souhen Gal — September 15, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Sorry to sound dumb but what is Sofrito – how do you prepare it?
    Recipe sounds wonderful. Some of the best Cuban food I have eaten was in Ibor City in Tampa. Yummy
    Debbie, if you have a Super Walmart in your area, they are carrying a whole line of hispanic foods and spices. I know I am going to check there..

Jen — September 15, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Phyllis – The instructions that follow Prepare the sofrito are how you do it. I have updated the recipe to be more clear.

Debbi – I get mine at Stop and Shop. I’m not sure if Penzeys would have it. If you can’t find it, I can send you a small packet.

amanda @ fake ginger — September 15, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Oh yum, I wish my husband would eat beans. I think I’ll make these next time he goes out of town.

Eliana — September 15, 2010 at 6:39 pm

These look delicious. Being Latina myself, rice and beans were an everyday thing when I ws growing up too. Black beans were my favorite.

Krystal — September 15, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Ahhh, it looks fantastic Jen! This picture makes it look so fabulous!

Sofrito – is just a term for the bell peppers/onions and garlic – it’s the cuban trinity of cooking!

Penzeys – doesn’t carry this spice. But I’m pretty sure Badia (the maker) can be found on, too!

YUM and YUM…my MIL would be so proud of you!

nutmegnanny — September 16, 2010 at 3:20 am

These look great! I love Cuban food 🙂

tobiascooks! — September 17, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I have to see if I can find such beans somewhere her in Greece.