Fig, Goat Cheese, and Caramelized Onion Crostini

I’ve been breezing through my 30-by-30 requirement of preparing three new ingredients at home. Not only did I just try kale, I recently picked up some fresh figs. I’ve had fig sauces and glazes on meals out in restaurants but definitely had never even seen a fresh fig in person.

I had seen this appetizer in my Google Reader and immediately thought of it for a picnic dinner I was planning with Hubby. Anything with goat cheese or caramelized onions is good in my book. Put them both into one bite of something and I’m in heaven.

While the fig flavor didn’t dominate these little bites, you could still taste it. It was a great compliment to the caramelized onions and goat cheese. I highly recommend making this the next time you need an easy appetizer that looks and tastes quite impressive. Everything can be made ahead of time and then assembled just prior to serving.

One Year Ago: Blueberry Peach Muffins and Shrimp with Cilantro Pesto

Print Save

Fig, Goat Cheese, and Caramelized Onion Crostini

Yield: 2

Ingredients:

baguette, sliced and toasted
2 onions worth of caramelized onions
12 fresh figs
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon of honey
1/3 cup water
Goat's cheese
Pepper, to taste

Directions:

Cut figs in half and scoop out the seeds and pulp with a spoon. In a small saucepan, add the fig seeds and pulp, balsamic vinegar, honey, 1/3 cup water, and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5-10 minutes until thickened.

Spread fresh goat's cheese on toasts and top with freshly cracked black pepper. Spoon balsamic fig reduction over the goat cheese and top with caramelized onions. Add a little slice of fig to the top for presentation.

Recipe adapted from Lardon My French

9 Responses to “Bacon wrapped, Goat cheese and almond stuffed Dates”

Joelen — August 1, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Now I think bacon wrapped dates are amazing… but stuffed with goat cheese & almond?! Yum! I wish I knew of this before my Tapas party last weekend 🙂

Nate — August 21, 2008 at 8:06 pm

These are absolutely amazing!

ttfn300 — August 27, 2008 at 2:53 pm

wow sooooo good, recently had something like these (maybe minus the goat cheese?) at a reception. but i love goat cheese. need to buy me some dates 🙂

gaga — December 17, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Yay for goat cheese! It really does make them better, doesn’t it?

aleta meadowlark — March 17, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Okay, so I had these babies at a party in rural Massachusetts this weekend, and I have no idea who made them (they were part of a HUGE spread and like 100 people brought food), and I’m wondering, given your proximity, whether or not I may have possibly eaten your delights unknowingly?

Jen — March 17, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Aleta – it was not me, although it sounds like a great party. These always get gobbled up anywhere we take them!

biz319 — July 30, 2009 at 5:16 pm

do you think these would be good at room temperature?

I am going to an outdoor concert next week and wanted to bring some finger food!

Jen — July 30, 2009 at 5:19 pm

These are awesome at room temperature. We’ve made them a ton. You can make them and refrigerate for a couple days before grilling/broiling, you can also go ahead and cook them just leave them at room temperature. I prefer them at room temperature actually.

Beryl — December 2, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Would you imagine using some milder-tasting cheese like Brie tasting good?