Fig, Goat Cheese, and Caramelized Onion Crostini

I’ve been breezing through my 30-by-30 requirement of preparing three new ingredients at home. Not only did I just try kale, I recently picked up some fresh figs. I’ve had fig sauces and glazes on meals out in restaurants but definitely had never even seen a fresh fig in person.

I had seen this appetizer in my Google Reader and immediately thought of it for a picnic dinner I was planning with Hubby. Anything with goat cheese or caramelized onions is good in my book. Put them both into one bite of something and I’m in heaven.

While the fig flavor didn’t dominate these little bites, you could still taste it. It was a great compliment to the caramelized onions and goat cheese. I highly recommend making this the next time you need an easy appetizer that looks and tastes quite impressive. Everything can be made ahead of time and then assembled just prior to serving.

One Year Ago: Blueberry Peach Muffins and Shrimp with Cilantro Pesto

Print Save

Fig, Goat Cheese, and Caramelized Onion Crostini

Yield: 2

Ingredients:

baguette, sliced and toasted
2 onions worth of caramelized onions
12 fresh figs
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon of honey
1/3 cup water
Goat's cheese
Pepper, to taste

Directions:

Cut figs in half and scoop out the seeds and pulp with a spoon. In a small saucepan, add the fig seeds and pulp, balsamic vinegar, honey, 1/3 cup water, and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5-10 minutes until thickened.

Spread fresh goat's cheese on toasts and top with freshly cracked black pepper. Spoon balsamic fig reduction over the goat cheese and top with caramelized onions. Add a little slice of fig to the top for presentation.

Recipe adapted from Lardon My French

13 Responses to “Pomegranate Cranberry Quinoa Salad”

Smitten Sugar — January 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I just made Quinoa for the first time myself this week. Love the addition of pomegranate. I will have to try it out!

Evan Thomas — January 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I love quinoa! Never tried it with these ingredients. Great recipe!

Chelsea — January 20, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I love quinoa, especially in breakfast form! Never had it with pomegranates, yay!

The Small Boston Kitchen — January 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Glad you liked! It’s one of my favorites. Also packages up really nicely for a healthy take-to-work lunch!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I adore quinoa because it is so healthy and so filling!

ErinsFoodFiles — January 20, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Yum yum yum! What a yummy looking quinoa dish! I love quinoa, so if you’re looking to find more quinoa recipes, feel free to browse my blog. 🙂

Sarah @ Semi-Sweet — January 20, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I love the versatility of quinoa – once you start cooking with it, it’s hard to stop . . . we think it makes a great breakfast, too! Warmed with milk, fruit & a little maple syrup or agave? Energy for the day!

Nisrine|Dinners and Dreams — January 20, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I love a good quinoa recipe. This one sounds worth a try.

Shannon — January 21, 2011 at 1:47 am

LOVE quinoa and poms 🙂 this looks like a delicious way to enjoy both ingredients!!

Daisy — January 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm

don’t worry, I am officially the last one.

Megan — January 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I’m glad you tried it! I love quinoa. I think it’s second to Israeli couscous in my book. And pomegranates — love them. This sounds delicious!

kitchenmisfit — January 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I am surprised by the chicken stock! It seems like it should be a sweet dish. I love quinoa and my husband does too!

Cheryl — January 24, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I have been reading about quinoa the “superfood” and how good it is for us. I bought some awhile back but hadn’t used it so I decided to try your recipe. OMG! I love it! I didn’t have pomegranate seeds and instead of almonds I used toasted pecans and also added orange zest. I will be using quinoa a lot now. Thanks!