Massaged Kale Salad

One of the shows that I enjoy watching is Next Food Network Star. I thought they sent Brad home too early, and I was really starting to like Tom towards the end. I wasn’t surprised when Aarti won because I had seen it on Food Network Humor that FoodNetwork.com had leaked the winner. I decided to watch Aarti’s first episode to see how it went. When I saw her make this massaged kale salad, I was intrigued. And, since kale is something I’ve never made at home, this recipe would help me get something done off my 30 by 30 list.

I’m sure I’ve had kale in entrees when eating out, but like I said, I have definitely never bought it or done anything with it at home. I grabbed a big bunch at the farmers market and gave this recipe a shot. Hubby said that his mom used to make kale when he was young and he never liked it, so he was a bit apprehensive about trying this salad.

I’m sure you’re wondering how it was? It was delicious! Hubby said it was the best kale he’d ever had. The kale had a great flavor. It reminded me of a really hearty spinach flavor. The lemony vinagrette and the mango chunks provide a great brightness and sweetness to the salad.

AND, the best thing about this salad is that it keeps in the fridge! We had it the first night as a side dish with some Peppery Lemon Brown Sugar Salmon and the next day we both had some in our lunches. It didn’t get super soggy like a dressed lettuce salad would.

Print Save

Massaged Kale Salad

Yield: 4-6

Ingredients:

1 bunch kale, stalks removed and discarded, leaves thinly sliced
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
Kosher salt
2 teaspoons honey
Freshly ground black pepper
1 mango, diced small
Small handful toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)

Directions:

In large serving bowl, add the kale, half of lemon juice, a drizzle of oil and a little kosher salt. Massage until the kale starts to soften and wilt, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk remaining lemon juice with the honey and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Stream in the 1/4 cup of oil while whisking until a dressing forms, and you like how it tastes.

Pour the dressing over the kale, and add the mango and pepitas. Toss and serve.

Recipe from Aarti Sequeira

11 Responses to “Roasted Beet Hummus”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 13, 2010 at 12:29 pm

That color is unreal! I’ve made beet green hummus but I’ll have to try using the actual beets sometime!

KV — October 13, 2010 at 12:33 pm

wow that is pink!! I’ve been trying to think of a recipe for natural pink too instead of just food coloring but I can’t figure anything out

Courtney — October 13, 2010 at 3:14 pm

What a great idea – it’s such a beautiful color!

Sara — October 13, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Pink is my favorite color! I’m not a fan of beets, but I would make this just for how cool it looks. 🙂

camelia — October 13, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

The Small Boston Kitchen — October 13, 2010 at 10:09 pm

You even made hummus look amazing!! That color is stunning! How pretty would that look on a table at a party?

Kerstin — October 14, 2010 at 4:18 am

How fun – I love beets and the fuchsia is such a conversation piece!

We Are Not Martha — October 14, 2010 at 1:41 pm

This is SO pretty!! And perfect for Breast Cancer Awareness Month! I’m sure it’s delicious too 🙂

Sues

ChefBearden — October 15, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I have made a similar recipe in the past and when serving, place a swipe of creme fraiche in the center, makes it look even more dynamic! Great stuff, great way to get people to eat beets!

Miss Strawberry — October 18, 2010 at 9:08 pm

That is so PINK! And so CREATIVE!!!! Love it, love it!! I’ve never had beet hummus either…but it actually sounds delicious…

nutmegnanny — October 21, 2010 at 2:40 am

This looks delicious! It reminded me of borscht…yum!