Homemade Hamburger Buns

I am in big trouble… Hubby has proclaimed that these hamburger buns are so good we shouldn’t buy them at the store any more. While I agree that they are that good, I’m worried that he’s going to be expecting homemade hamburger buns around the house often…

It’s not that they’re difficult to make, they just take some time with the rising and whatnot. But boy are they worth it. And they freeze well. Each batch makes 8 buns, so they last a decent amount of time since we don’t keep much bread in the house.

This is definitely one of those foods that is worth the small amount of effort to make at home. So the next time you’ll be home for a few hours, make these buns. You’ll thank me.

Be sure to check back next week when I’ll be sharing some great ways to fill these buns!

Two Years Ago: Panzanella

Print Save

Homemade Hamburger Buns

Yield: 8

3 Tbsp warm milk
1 pkg (2 1/4 tsp) yeast
2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
2 eggs
3 cups bread flour
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
sesame seeds (optional)

In a glass measuring cup, combine 1 cup warm water, the milk, yeast and sugar. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, beat 1 egg.

In a large bowl, whisk flours with salt. Add butter and rub into flour between your fingers, making crumbs. Using a dough scraper, stir in yeast mixture and beaten egg until a dough forms. Scrape dough onto clean, unfloured counter and knead, scooping dough up, slapping it on counter and turning it, until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes.

Shape dough into a ball and return it to bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 1 to 2 hours.

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Using dough scraper, divide dough into 8 equal parts. Gently roll each into a ball. Arrange 4 of the dough balls onto each baking sheet, 2 to 3 inches apart. Cover loosely with a clean kitchen towel and let buns rise in a warm place for 1 to 2 hours.

Set a large shallow pan of water on oven floor. Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack in center.

If the buns have risen too much and are really flat, reshape into balls.

Beat remaining egg with 1 tablespoon water and brush some on top of buns. Add sesame seeds if using. Bake, turning sheet halfway through baking, until tops are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen, originally from The NY Times

11 Responses to “Pita Bread”

Julie — July 5, 2010 at 3:08 pm

These look super, and like something I might could do! I was thinking of making some gyros lately, if I do this will have to go along with it.

Jeanette — July 5, 2010 at 10:46 pm

My DH is in Saudi and brags all the time about the homemade pita bread he gets around the corner, now I can make my own. Thanks for the instructions.

newlywed — July 11, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Mmm, these look great. I’ve made the homemade pita recipe in Vefa’s Kitchen a few times. Instead of baking them in the oven, you pan-fry them. So addictive!

A Scientist in the Kitchen — July 17, 2010 at 2:23 am

I’ve made pita bread before but always a failure. They are so hard like stone! I’m inspired again to make this over the weekend, follow your recipe and see what happens. Wish me luck 🙂

Sonya — July 19, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I made these this morning and YUM! they are so good. Mine have performance issues though and only one puffed up for me..lol I think I know what the problem is now. I was rolling them out way to much. They are so good though. Thanks for the recipe!

Diane — July 22, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I have not tried these yet but I have made a lot of homemade bread over the years. These look delicious and I’m going to get my daughter to make these with me. There really is nothing better than a sandwich on good pita bread!

S. — July 30, 2010 at 2:56 am

These looks super. I love how you got them to be so plain colored. We have them like this back home in Cairo sometimes but ours are a little darker because of using mostly whole wheat flour. I made pita bread recently as well and have to admit it was one of the more fun things I’ve done recently. 🙂

Joudie's Mood Food — August 7, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Home made pita….. How dangerous is that?!?!?! I dont think i would be able to stop making them. I am middle eastern and my husband is Greek so this would probably be the best and most used recipe for us…. Lovely and seems very easy.

Nanan — September 25, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Made these today – super easy and delish!!!! Went great with Hummus!

Tamar — December 30, 2014 at 10:47 am

These are my absolute favorite! I make them many times during the year, but they have become a New Year’s Day tradition. I make hummus out of black eyed peas and serve with your pitas. Thanks for the recipe!

Tina Basu — April 22, 2017 at 8:53 pm

I love pita breads buy have never thought of making them, but this recipe is looking great, I must give it a try