Christmas in July – Homemade Vanilla Extract

With just under 5 months until Christmas, it might be time to start thinking about gifts for your friends and family. That’s what I was doing about a year ago. I am definitely a big planner and had decided early in 2009 to make as many Christmas gifts as I could. Some of these gifts required quite a bit of time and some were easy to throw together. This week I’ll be sharing the gifts that I gave our family and friends last year.

The first gift came about due to a sale on Amazon. There was a great deal on 1/2 lb of vanilla beans. I started with two bottles of vodka and the vanilla beans. Once the beans were split (but not scraped) and placed in the vodka, the bottles just had to sit in a cool dark place. Every couple of weeks Hubby would pull the vodka out of the closet and shake the crap out of it. A couple months later the vanilla extract was ready to go!

I ordered some bottles online and made some labels for the bottles to finish off the look. I also placed two vanilla beans into each bottle.

I love that the vanilla extract tastes so good, has the specks of fresh vanilla beans, and will essentially never run out. If the vanilla starts running low, you can just top it off with some more vodka. As you use vanilla beans, just throw the pods in the bottle to replenish the vanilla flavor.

One Year Ago: Goat Cheese Potato Salad and Salmon with Yellow Pepper and Cilantro Pesto
Two Years Ago: Champagne Cupcakes

8 Responses to “Puppy Chow”

Erin — December 30, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I loooove this stuff. I’ve always called it Muddy Buddy, though.

Jeanette — December 30, 2009 at 1:16 pm

I made this as treats to the humans from our 2 dogs. My mom fell in love with it and went out right away and bought the ingredients. Merry Christmas.

laurasrecipecollection — December 31, 2009 at 2:05 am

Everyone always raves about this stuff but I confess: I’ve never had it! I was allergic to peanuts during childhood 🙁
    But it looks so good that I think I need to give it a try now!

BeeKayRoot — December 31, 2009 at 3:45 am

This stuff is sooo good. I’ve never made it myself, but have had it several times. Perhaps I’ll make it sometime soon.

Joy — January 7, 2010 at 9:14 pm

One of my college roommates made this for us, and I’ve been in love with them since! We usually use Crispix, though, which is rice and corn. =)

Julie — January 12, 2010 at 2:31 pm

We love that stuff too! We make it for our friends all the time and they can’t stop eating it.

Like Joy said, we use Crispix too.

Tran — February 17, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Why is this called Puppy Chow mix? At first I thought it was for dogs and was alarmed by the chocolate chips in the ingredients…

Jen — February 17, 2010 at 4:55 pm

No idea why it’s called Puppy Chow… That’s just what we always called it…