Strawberry Shortcake Cake

Hubby and I went strawberry picking the other day. I actually had never gone, but we’ve been going through SO MANY strawberries recently that I thought it would be a good idea. We went with our friends K and A. We drove out to Tougas Farms on Saturday morning. We started with some warm fresh out of the fryer strawberry donuts. They were delicious with just a hint of strawberry. Hubby and I also split a strawberry slush. It was basically just some strawberries blended with some ice. It was very refreshing.

We did get rained on in the middle of our strawberry picking adventures. It wasn’t anything horrible but we did get a bit wet. Hubby and I came home with ~12 pounds of strawberries. We figured we’d be able to eat our way through about 6 of those pounds, but to go through the rest, I’ve decided to highlight even more strawberry recipes this week. So today I’m kicking off a second Week of Strawberry recipes. Be sure to check back each day to see what I’m doing with all these fresh strawberries.

The first thing that these freshly picked strawberries went in to was a cake. Hubby announced this year that he was going to make me a cake for my birthday. I was honestly shocked. Hubby has never baked anything in his life. Growing up with him mom being a great cook and baker, then living with me, he’s never been in a position to need to bake something himself. So I was very excited to see how it went.

Hubby asked that I give him a few recipes from my to-bake list and he’d choose from there. I gave him three cake recipes that didn’t look too complicated. He chose this Strawberry Shortcake Cake recipe from The Pioneer Woman. He baked the cake the night before and wrapped it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge. The next day, after our fresh strawberries were washed and dried, he continued with the filling and frosting.

This cake was very tasty. We took leftovers to work and I kept having people stop by to thank me for the cake. I had to correct them and tell them that Hubby had made it (we work in the same building). I have to admit, Hubby’s cake was awesome. I might commission him out to do some baking for me more often! I was in the kitchen giving him tips, but he did it all himself. Even the frosting of the cake.

This cake did get pretty soggy on day 3. I would definitely serve it the same day you put the strawberry filling in the cake. Definitely let it set for a while so the strawberry filling soaks into the cake layers. The second day, it was also delicious.

Two Years Ago: Inside Out Stuffed Peppers and Ropa Vieja

1/2 pounds cream cheese, room temperature
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/2 pound powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla
1 pound strawberries

For the Cake
Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and corn starch.

Cream 9 tablespoons butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing 1 minute after each addition. Add yogurt and vanilla and mix until combined. Add sifted dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just barely combined.

Pour into greased and floured 9-inch cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, or until no longer jiggly. Remove from cake pan as soon as you pull it out of the oven, and place on a cooling rack and allow it to cool completely.

Stem strawberries and slice them in half from bottom to top. Place into a bowl and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons sugar. Stir together and let sit for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, mash the strawberries in two batches. Sprinkle each half with 1 tablespoons sugar and allow to sit for another 30 minutes.

For the Frosting
Combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and dash of salt in a mixing bowl. Mix until very light and fluffy.

Assemble the Cake
Slice cake in half through the middle. Spread strawberries evenly over each half (cut side up), pouring on all the juices. Place cake halves into the freezer for five minutes, just to make icing easier.

Remove from freezer. Use a little less than 1/3 of the icing to spread over the top of the strawberries on the bottom layer. Place the second layer on top. Add half of the remaining icing to the top spreading evenly, then spread the remaining 1/3 cup around the sides.

Leave plain or garnish with strawberry halves.

Cake is best when served cool. Store in the fridge.

Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman

34 Responses to “Lemon Raspberry Layer Cake”

oneordinaryday — April 26, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Raspberries are my very favorite food on the planet and this looks absolutely divine. Thanks for sharing this!

Carrie — April 26, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Its my husband birthday on Fri I might try to talk him into having this cake for it.

Cara — April 26, 2010 at 1:04 pm

awesome work, Jen! It sounds delicious and looks gorgeous. I’m totally jealous of your border-piping skills too.

Ammie — April 26, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Beautiful cake! This is very similar to our wedding cake, I may just have to try it!

5 — April 26, 2010 at 3:25 pm

It looks beautiful and sounds delicious. I’ll have to try this one!

KB — April 26, 2010 at 3:34 pm

This looks absolutely terrific! Great job on the assembly and decoration!

hannah! — April 26, 2010 at 3:45 pm

really beautiful cake! and raspberries are one of my favorite fruits ever! i love the little sacs together with the crunchy seeds. hee.

Sherry G — April 26, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Holy beautiful! this cake is quite elegant and delicious looking! I love raspberries with cake.

roxan @ kitchen meditation — April 26, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Jen this cake is so so beautiful! It reminds me of the triple berry cake from Sweet Lady Jane here in LA. If an opportunity every arises for me to make a layer cake (I have the same problem – it’s hard to find people to help finish it!) I will definitely try this one.

You did a beautiful job with the piping. Gorgeous.

Memória — April 26, 2010 at 5:53 pm

We should be best friends hahaha. We have the same go-to white cake recipe, and we both made layered cakes this weekend! Your cake is BEAUTIFUL! You have every right to brag. You did an excellent job on the piping and decorating. It looks professional!

I added lemon extract to my strawberry frosting on my strawberry cake (which came from Bridget’s recipe), and I could taste hints of lemon. I think the extract and some lemon zest would work well.

I must make this cake!! I am 100% certain that I would like it because we have similar tastes.

Now I need to look at your overdose cake to compare it to my overload cake.

living_insanity — April 26, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Lemon and raspberries sounds like a perfect flavor combo. Your cake looks beautiful!

KRISTINA CIPOLLA PHOTOGRAPHY — April 26, 2010 at 10:14 pm

OH wow, I started drooling as soon as I saw the pic. SO pretty and looks delish! Will def. have to try this one… 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

We Are Not Martha — April 26, 2010 at 10:37 pm

This is so, so pretty! And obviously looks delicious too. Raspberries are one of my favorite parts of spring!

Brisbane Baker — April 27, 2010 at 12:56 am

I don’t think you’re bragging! I would be proud of a beautiful cake like this one.

Looks delicous!

Josie — April 27, 2010 at 1:00 pm

beautiful!! Great decorating job!

bcallegra — April 28, 2010 at 12:18 pm

This cake looks awesome and my mouth is watering looking at the picture right now.

ashley — April 28, 2010 at 1:36 pm

beautiful cake!

Katie — April 29, 2010 at 4:40 pm

This cake is SO, SOOO beautiful! I love it!!!

Allie — May 3, 2010 at 2:27 am

Looks beautiful, I love layer cakes!

vertigoxcured — May 3, 2010 at 2:49 pm

you say something about videos from youtube? can you share the the links?

Jen — May 6, 2010 at 1:54 pm

vertigoxcured – I updated the post with links to the youtube videos. Sorry about that.

Smithie7482 — May 9, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I made this for Mother’s Day and it was a huge hit! Thanks for sharing. I added the juice of the zested lemon and an extra cup of confectioners’ sugar to the buttercream and managed to get a nice lemony tang.

Karin — June 16, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I cant believe this is your first frosting coated cake. So beautifully done. And also note…that 4 layers with fruit filling without cake sliding all over the place is not a normal for first timers in that department. Kudos… you got the cake decorating skills Ma’am.

nod — March 22, 2013 at 8:29 pm

am making this cake right now, and i must ask about the proportions of flour to liquid. it seems off. i made the recipe exactly as written and it was a pool of liquid. i had a similar recipe for a white cake which called for 2-3/4 flour and only 4 egg whites + 1 whole egg ( similar), so i added another 1/2 cup flour and it was still liquidy. it took 30 mins. to bake, not 23-25. will see how it turns out. the only good part is rubbing the grated lemon zest with the sugar, although i could not taste much lemon in the batter. by the looks of the layers, i would recommend 8″ pans as the layers are quite thin. all in all a big disappointment. glad i planned ahead and will make a different recipe.

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:27 pm

Sorry to hear this recipe didn’t work out for you. This batter was very thin going in to the oven.

rach — April 22, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Does this cake keep well? i just made three 6″ cakes, which I’ll freeze in preparation for making a little layer cake on Sunday (a top-tier wedding cake replacement for our one year anniversary, after Hurricane Sandy ruined the real one.) But I also made two dozen cupcakes with the batter. I’m planning to bring one dozen to a dinner party tomorrow and the next dozen to a party on Wednesday. Any tips for the cupcakes? Should I freeze them, or just leave them out til I’m ready to frost? Would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks.

• beantownbaker — April 23rd, 2013 @ 7:48 am

I haven’t made this cake into cupcakes before. But in general, cupcakes are fine for a couple days. If it’s more than 2-3 days, I’d go ahead and freeze them, then frost them the day before you want to serve them.

Zea — June 8, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Would it be advantageous to whip the egg whites first, and fold them into the batter at the end? It might help with the thin batter issue, and I have some recipes for white cake that call for whites whipped into soft peaks. I am making this cake for a baby shower this weekend, so I will let you know how this technique works, unless the author has an opinion against.

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

I have made this cake, or a variation of the cake, multiple times as it is written without any issues. I know some cake recipes do have the cake whites whipped and folded in at the end. If you try it, please let me know how it goes.

どづでむ — July 10, 2013 at 7:28 am

If you could email me with a few pointers on how you made your blog site look this cool, I would be thankful!

Darlene — September 27, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Going to endeavor to make this for my husband’s birthday next weekend. I haven’t made a cake in ages, but I like challenges!!! Hopefully it will go well as his parents are coming into town for his birthday (yikes!) I hope it has a nice lemon flavor because he loves lemon. Wish me luck!!!

• beantownbaker — September 27th, 2013 @ 3:54 pm

I hope he enjoys it. The cake definitely has a lemon flavor. If you wanted to go super lemony, you could use lemon curd instead of raspberry curd for the filling!

Carol — September 22, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Cake looks beautiful. However, each cake was an only an inch thick so was confused how to possibly cut it in half to make four layers. So after everything was cleaned up, I had to make a second round of this. The puree was tasty and plenty of it. The Frosting was delicious and plenty also. The cake itself tasted good with hint of lemon, but did not rise much at all and it had a very rubbery texture and very dense. I agree the batter was thin when I poured in pans, but it was not fluffy and light by any means after it was baked. I appreciated making it, but not a fav for me.

Lauren — September 22, 2016 at 2:41 pm

I know this is an old post, but I had to comment after making it for the first time yesterday. This is a lovely cake! The only downside, for me, was that the lemon flavor was lighter than I thought it would be. I ended up topping it with some toasted almonds and fresh raspberries, and serving it with homemade coconut ice cream.

*Note: My layers came out quite thin. They were both only a little over an inch thick, and the batter itself was a slightly thick/fluffy consistency. That being said, I was able to torte them without difficulty and the finished cake came out to a little over 3 inches.