Salmon with Strawberry and Tomato Salsa

Another savory recipe for you guys today. I saw this recipe on Katie’s blog not too long ago and was completely intrigued. If you haven’t had a chance to check out Katie’s blog, be sure to do so. She’s got some great recipes and party menu ideas over there.

I would have never thought to pair salmon and strawberries. Or tomatoes and strawberries. But it really works. I made this while Hubby was out of town and really enjoyed eating this meal and it was great left over as well.

The strawberries and tomatoes pair together nicely. The green onions in the salsa provide a nice crunch. The directions that Katie gave to broil the salmon result in a delicious salmon. I’ll definitely be using that method for salmon cooking in the future.

I didn’t serve this over rice like Katie suggests, I just ate it as-is. After seeing the pics, Hubby is jealous that I didn’t make this when he was home. Lucky for him it was delicious and we will be having this again soon!

Check out my entire week of Strawberry recipes here.

Print Save

Salmon with Strawberry and Tomato Salsa

Yield: 4

4 salmon fillets
juice of half of a lemon
salt and pepper to taste

1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and diced
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
4 scallions, white and light green portion diced
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp olive oil
drizzle of honey
dash of salt and pepper to taste

Preheat broiler on low. Line baking sheet with tin foil, folding edges upwards to contain mess.

Squeeze fresh lemon juice onto tops of each fillet and generously season each with salt and pepper. Place on the bottom rack of the oven (away from broiler) and broil on low to desired doneness, about 10 minutes dependent upon thickness of fillets.

Meanwhile, prep remaining salsa ingredients and combine in medium bowl. Stir to combine and let sit.

Remove salmon from oven and let rest 5 minutes. Using small spatula or fork, remove salmon from skin (skin should stick to the tinfoil and be easy to remove) and place on plate.

Top generously with strawberry and tomato salsa and serve hot

Recipe from Good Things Catered

16 Responses to “Coconut Layer Cake Filled with Lemon Curd”

Erica @ Inandaroundtown — April 6, 2011 at 4:22 pm

WOW – I would like to have a piece of that cake as soon as possible! looks beautiful and delicious!

FunandFearlessinBeantown — April 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm

This cake looks beautiful and I love the addition of toasted coconut!

Christina — April 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I love love cakes with coconut. So delicious.

Maria — April 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Beautiful cake!

DeliciousDish — April 6, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Totally agree – the more layers the better! The cake looks stunning!

Paula Kelly-Bourque — April 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Had I been at your dinner party you wouldn’t have had to cook anything. I would have just completely indulged in this gorgeous cake!

Evan — April 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm

This cake looks incredible! coconut and lemon are two of my favorite flavors; I’m glad you don’t have to choose one or the other with this recipe.

Bianca Garcia — April 6, 2011 at 5:34 pm

This sounds wonderful. Coconut with lemon curd, yummmm!

Taryn — April 6, 2011 at 5:49 pm

This looks fantastic – so springy and beautiful, and absolutely delish 🙂

ammy 92 — April 6, 2011 at 6:28 pm

what a wonderful cake!

ErinsFoodFiles — April 6, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Beautiful cake! I’ve been craving a coconut cake, but I know too many people who don’t like coconut cake that if I made it I wouldn’t have anyone to share. Boo.

Shannon — April 6, 2011 at 8:01 pm

ooh, fabulous. love the lemon curd-coconut combo, and in a layer cake, fun!!

A Boston Food Diary — April 6, 2011 at 8:30 pm

OF COURSE 4 is better than 2!!! This looks amazing….I love the idea of lemon and coconut together-and it’s gorgeous!

Aimee — April 6, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Love lemon curd, love coconut, especially love a cake that lets me “frost” the sides with ease. This looks so yummy!!

Nutmeg Nanny — April 6, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Such a delicious cake! I honestly didn’t know a 6 inch was half of a 9 inch….thank you 🙂

Kelly Jaremco — April 29, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I told my girlfriend I would bake her a cake for her birthday this Sunday !!! I got lemon curd and coconut stuck in my brain, so I started googling… which led me to your page !!! This recipie looks almost perfect !!

Couple questions…

Do you think the coconut extract was too strong for the cake, because you also have the browned coconut pcs too? I was considering vanilla bean cake, lemon curd and toasted coconut on the outside… but perhaps that wouldn’t be enough coconut flavour…. your thoughts?

Lastly… what did you use as the frosting to keep the toasted coconut on? It looks like whipping cream…. ?!?!?

Thanks !!!