Not-So-Newlywed Map

Have you ever heard of a Newlywed Map? I hadn’t until I saw this post on Heather Drive. You might remember that Heather and I have teamed up for some Operation Baking Gals teams in the past. I can’t remember how I found her blog, but I’ve enjoyed following it. She’s got a mix of food, travel, and life posts in her blog.

The idea of a Newlywed Map is that you mount a map of the world on some foam and frame it. Then you mark all the places you’ve traveled with your Hubby. We have been married almost 4 years at this point, so we’re not quite Newlyweds, but this is still a great idea.

Hubby and I added places we’ve visted together and individually since we met. Hubby spent a couple months working in India and traveling near there and we didn’t want to neglect those travels. When we sat down to make our map, we realized that we’ve been to the Caribbean a LOT (thanks to 3 cruises), and all over the East coast and Midwest. Other than that, there is a lot of world out there that we want to visit!

This project was really easy and Hubby and I had a good time putting it together. First I ordered a map and some pins online. My craft store didn’t have foam in the 24×36″ size, so I had to go with a tri-fold science-fair board. It worked out perfectly. We just used some packaging tape to tape the flaps down to the board so it was twice as thick.

Next we used spray adhesive to glue the map to the board. Once that was dry, we placed it in the frame. We got lucky because about 7 years ago I bought a big painting from a starving artist sale to go over our mantle in our first apartment together. The painting was the kind that just pops out of the frame. Since we don’t have a mantle in Boston, the painting has been in our basement since we moved. The frame was the perfect size and our mounted map popped right into the frame.

The next step was the fun part. Placing all the pins on the places we’ve been. It was a good time reminescing about various trips we’ve taken. And lastly, Hubby hung it on the wall. You might remember me mentioning that during our kitchen renovation, they put a circuit breaker box in our hallway when the electrical got updated. We have been searching for something large enough to cover the box ever since. This map hides the box perfectly!

One Year Ago: Spicy Orange Shrimp
Two Years Ago: Dairy Free Cheesecake Pops and Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

12 Responses to “Not-So-Newlywed Map”

bcallegra — April 28, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Very neat idea! I may have to try this out, since our house is filled with empty walls at the moment.

We Are Not Martha — April 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Aww this is such a cute idea! I’m not married yet, but when I am, I might consider it… It’s so classy-looking too :)

Sues

paulak01 — April 28, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Love the idea and had to send it to my husband. You are so creative – what an excellent job putting it together! Thank you for posting.

bonappetitbeantown — April 28, 2010 at 1:11 pm

What a great idea! Such a fun experience for you both to share! I’ve always wanted to make a map like this and you just gave me the motivation to do it :) I love the map you used!

ashley — April 28, 2010 at 1:34 pm

i made one of these for hubby for our first Christmas together. unfortunately we haven’t had as many opportunities as we hoped to travel so ours looks sad with the lackage of pins :-)

The DIY Show Off — April 28, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I love this idea and it’s something we want to do too. Thanks for the motivation! Oh and we’ve been married 5 years so ours will be a not-so-newlywed map too. ;)

R

holly2460 — April 28, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing, I really want to do this!

Cupcake Activist — April 28, 2010 at 4:05 pm

That’s so crazy…I was just thinking about doing something like this the other day. I guess that means that I need to get on it. Thanks for the idea!

Jes — April 28, 2010 at 5:41 pm

LOVE THIS! Ordering my map NOW!

Memória — April 28, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Is this map only for heterosexual couples? haha j/k. You just wrote hubby (I guess you’re assuming all of your readers are females and are straight), and I was taken aback. This would be great for whenever my future wife and I get married. Thanks for sharing! It really is a cool idea!

Jen — April 28, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Memória – I hope I didn’t offend you. I wasn’t making any assumptions about my readers. I was just speaking the way I talk. This map could be perfect for anyone or any group of people.

yumventures — April 28, 2010 at 11:25 pm

I looove this idea! I’m going to do it, even though I’m not married :)