Maple Syrup and Birthday Cupcakes

This past weekend a good friend from high school was visiting Boston. K had a conference here last week and stayed to hang out this weekend. On top of hanging out with friends, Butler made it to the Final Four! K went to Butler and is the president of his local alumni club!

On Saturday we decided to partake in some local fun by heading up to New Hampshire to go to a maple house where they boil maple syrup. We had beautiful weather on Saturday. It was a bit chilly but sunny and not a cloud in the sky. After arriving at the Grant Family Maple House, we had some food and got in line to learn all about how maple syrup is made.

What we learned is that the sap from the trees has about 2-3% sugar in it straight from the tree. At that percentage, it would take 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup!! So they first condense the sap until it reaches about 8% sugar. The sap is then boiled to evaporate off the water.

Once the temperature reads 7 degrees above the boiling point of water, you have syrup! The guy in the maple house even explained how they use a baraometer on the wall to get the barometric pressure so they know the exact boiling temperature of water for that given day. It was all very scientific and extremely interesting.

The small bottles of maple syrup were a sample from each batch they had made at the maple house this season. The guy explained that as the season goes on, the syrup tends to get darker due to the change in the amount of sugar in the sap.

Of course, we had to get some maple products while we were there. Obviously, maple syrup. We also got some maple candies, some maple sugar, and some maple pepper. Can’t wait to find creative ways to use the sugar and pepper. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know!

Also, since K’s birthday was last week, I made him some cupcakes to celebrate. I went with my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe. I love that you can whip these up by dirtying only one bowl and using a whisk! I dipped them in some ganache and topped with festive sprinkles. Aren’t they pretty?

20 Responses to “Cookie Dough Brownies”

stephchows — December 7, 2009 at 4:34 pm

this is such a fantastic idea!! I would make cookie dough batter with my friends in middle school… leave out the eggs, and just eat it with a spoon LOL so good!

nutmegnanny — December 7, 2009 at 4:52 pm

This looks awesome! Since I’m a huge fan of cookie dough I know I will love this recipe 🙂

Lauren — December 7, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Ha – my husband loves the dough more than the cookie as well. I starred these – DEFINITELY making them soon.

We Are Not Martha — December 7, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Oooh these look delicious!! And combine the best of 2 worlds 🙂

Sues

laurasrecipecollection — December 8, 2009 at 12:17 am

holy cow! cookie dough + brownie? I think I’m in heaven

Justin — December 8, 2009 at 4:21 am

what a cool idea for the cookie dough layer. i used to make raw cookie dough (with egg beaters) and keep it in the freezer just for snacking

oneordinaryday — December 8, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Yum. I made a similar recipe but I put a thin chocolate ganache on top. It’s one of the best recipes I’ve posted, but I’m a sucker for that raw dough.

I think I might have to agree with your bro and hubby. I love chocolate chip cookies, but it’s the dough that makes me weak in the knees! This recipe is right up my alley.

Jelli Bean — December 8, 2009 at 3:43 pm

These look great! I also let my husband lick the beaters, but occasionally I slink behind the counter beside the sink and keep all the batter for myself. He’s usually too involved with TV to even notice.

Ingrid — December 10, 2009 at 6:33 pm

LOL, oh my gosh! I just noticed this had a anti-Weight Watchers label. How funny!

Those look insanely good!!Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    ~ingrid

e — December 11, 2009 at 12:42 pm

My high school made cookie dough covered brownies back in the day. They had a cult following and always sold out before the last lunch period. I never understood why you needed the brownie when a spoon works just fine.

laquillen — December 11, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Oh man. So sinful. Reminds me of the Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream “Half Baked. Half brownie, half cookie dough. I can’t say no to that stuff.

whatwelovemost — December 11, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Yummmm!! Oh my goodnessIsao adore cookie dough… This combination is beautiful!

Peggy — December 13, 2009 at 11:46 am

sounds delicious!

Miss Yunks — December 15, 2009 at 5:30 pm

these brownies looked so good I tried to make them myself! I love cookie dough AND brownies – perfect combo! Yours look much better of course. Here are mine: http://foodiesatworkdotcom.blogspot.com/2009/12/cookie-dough-brownies.html

Liesl — December 15, 2009 at 6:01 pm

YUM! These sound great!

A & W — December 30, 2009 at 8:53 am

AHHHH these look amaaazzzinnngggg. A little late in finding these but yeah I’m gonna need to make them.
    -Whitney

A & W — December 30, 2009 at 8:53 am

-Whitney

bcallegra — January 11, 2010 at 12:27 am

I just made these and they got rave reviews at work! Definitely a keeper – thanks, as always, for sharing a great recipe and photos!

Jade — April 15, 2010 at 6:27 pm

The best of both worlds!! These look awesome.

PIYALI CHATTERJEE — October 19, 2016 at 12:20 am