Maple Syrup and Birthday Cupcakes

This past weekend a good friend from high school was visiting Boston. K had a conference here last week and stayed to hang out this weekend. On top of hanging out with friends, Butler made it to the Final Four! K went to Butler and is the president of his local alumni club!

On Saturday we decided to partake in some local fun by heading up to New Hampshire to go to a maple house where they boil maple syrup. We had beautiful weather on Saturday. It was a bit chilly but sunny and not a cloud in the sky. After arriving at the Grant Family Maple House, we had some food and got in line to learn all about how maple syrup is made.

What we learned is that the sap from the trees has about 2-3% sugar in it straight from the tree. At that percentage, it would take 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup!! So they first condense the sap until it reaches about 8% sugar. The sap is then boiled to evaporate off the water.

Once the temperature reads 7 degrees above the boiling point of water, you have syrup! The guy in the maple house even explained how they use a baraometer on the wall to get the barometric pressure so they know the exact boiling temperature of water for that given day. It was all very scientific and extremely interesting.

The small bottles of maple syrup were a sample from each batch they had made at the maple house this season. The guy explained that as the season goes on, the syrup tends to get darker due to the change in the amount of sugar in the sap.

Of course, we had to get some maple products while we were there. Obviously, maple syrup. We also got some maple candies, some maple sugar, and some maple pepper. Can’t wait to find creative ways to use the sugar and pepper. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know!

Also, since K’s birthday was last week, I made him some cupcakes to celebrate. I went with my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe. I love that you can whip these up by dirtying only one bowl and using a whisk! I dipped them in some ganache and topped with festive sprinkles. Aren’t they pretty?

22 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes”

DeliciousDish — March 30, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I NEED to make these. I might just start on them tonight!

Nutmeg Nanny — March 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm

These look amazing! I would go into a sugar coma because I would probably want to eat at least three of these gems…haha.

Melissa — March 30, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Oh wow these are my dream dessert! I hope you bring these ones to Cupcake Camp!!

Erin — March 30, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I too have been meaning to make these cupcakes since I first saw them on the internet. I love that you combined several recipes from different bloggers. Awesome recipes, unite!

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Like I said, it’s a multi-step process, so starting part of it tonight might be a good idea. If you make them, I definitely want one. These were so good.

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Oh that’s a thought… I still haven’t decided what I’m baking for Cupcake Camp…

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Definitely give it a shot. They take some time, but it’s SO worth it.

Shannon — March 30, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I’ve been wanting to make these for quite a while as well. My mother-in-law LOVES cookie dough and her birthday is coming up. From all the versions I’ve seen floating around on the internet, I really like yours since you have the LOTS of cookie dough in the middle of your cupcakes. So, you baked the cupcakes with the frozen cookie dough inside? No problems with it baking up? I’m definitely trying this!

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Yep, just dropped the dough into the cupcake batter before baking it. The cupcakes did rise up quite a bit and then sank back down as they cooled. I was a little concerned I had underbaked them, but they were delicious. Definitely let me know how they turn out for you if you make them.

Jessica — March 30, 2011 at 5:52 pm

oh my Lord these look amazing! I’m having a girls night next weekend and I’m def going to try these! Thanks!

FunandFearlessinBeantown — March 30, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Once again Jen, you impress me with your creativity!

Sarah C — March 30, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I want, no NEED, to make these. Does it matter what size your cookie scoop is? Mine is a medium size with about 1.5 tbsp volume. Want to make sure it won’t be too much that it prevents the cupcake from baking up (because honestly, it’s not possible for it to be too much cookie dough).

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I’m honestly not sure what size my cookie scoop is. It doesn’t have any markings on it to give an indication! I think it’s the standard cookie scoop you’d get at the grocery store if that helps at all… I think 1.5 Tbsp sounds about right though.

Carrie — March 30, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I’m already trying to decide what occasion to make them for.

Cara — March 31, 2011 at 2:07 am

I’m still waiting to try these. Just sayin’. 😉

ErinsFoodFiles — March 31, 2011 at 3:14 am

WOW! Talk about decadent!

beantownbaker — March 31, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Well I *might* be making these for Cupcake Camp. So, if you make the trip into Boston for that, you might be able to have one! Too bad they’re not appropriate for Passover.

Rebel Mel — March 31, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Who needs dessert at 8am???

I’ll give you one hint.

Bookmarking this! I’ve been meaning to make these cupcakes for a while now!

19 — April 2, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Will be making these soon. What a great twist.. the cookie is actually a cookie in the baking process. Yum!

Jene — April 5, 2011 at 11:47 am

OH. EM. GEE. I’m SO making these for euchre night on Saturday, just to have an excuse.

Lovemytheekidz — March 26, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I found this recipeast summer and have made it several times for my oldest child, who has requested it again-for her sweet sixteen birthday. Thanks for the awesome recipe.

• beantownbaker — April 16th, 2014 @ 6:01 pm

So glad you enjoy it! This is one of our favorite cupcake recipes of all time.