Maple Syrup and Birthday Cupcakes

This past weekend a good friend from high school was visiting Boston. K had a conference here last week and stayed to hang out this weekend. On top of hanging out with friends, Butler made it to the Final Four! K went to Butler and is the president of his local alumni club!

On Saturday we decided to partake in some local fun by heading up to New Hampshire to go to a maple house where they boil maple syrup. We had beautiful weather on Saturday. It was a bit chilly but sunny and not a cloud in the sky. After arriving at the Grant Family Maple House, we had some food and got in line to learn all about how maple syrup is made.

What we learned is that the sap from the trees has about 2-3% sugar in it straight from the tree. At that percentage, it would take 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup!! So they first condense the sap until it reaches about 8% sugar. The sap is then boiled to evaporate off the water.

Once the temperature reads 7 degrees above the boiling point of water, you have syrup! The guy in the maple house even explained how they use a baraometer on the wall to get the barometric pressure so they know the exact boiling temperature of water for that given day. It was all very scientific and extremely interesting.

The small bottles of maple syrup were a sample from each batch they had made at the maple house this season. The guy explained that as the season goes on, the syrup tends to get darker due to the change in the amount of sugar in the sap.

Of course, we had to get some maple products while we were there. Obviously, maple syrup. We also got some maple candies, some maple sugar, and some maple pepper. Can’t wait to find creative ways to use the sugar and pepper. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know!

Also, since K’s birthday was last week, I made him some cupcakes to celebrate. I went with my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe. I love that you can whip these up by dirtying only one bowl and using a whisk! I dipped them in some ganache and topped with festive sprinkles. Aren’t they pretty?

10 Responses to “Double Fudge Brownies”

Mandy — October 1, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE brownies!!! Will definitely try out this recipe… soon.

(Just can’t let my husband know, who is a personal trainer, lol!)

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 1, 2010 at 1:57 pm

These were seriously the best brownies ever! I can’t wait to re-use this recipe!

Sheila — October 1, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Those look outrageously delicious!!!

Courtney — October 1, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I love me a good brownie – but can you believe that I haven’t actually made homemade brownies. I really must change that!!

Evan B — October 1, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Who doesn’t love brownies?! I don’t know if I could wait a whole night and not devour these immediately out of the oven!

nutmegnanny — October 1, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Yum! I love brownies! I’m thinking I actually might make some right now 🙂

Megan — October 1, 2010 at 4:34 pm

You have way more willpower than I do. I rarely let brownies cool. I love when they’re warm and gooey… and yes, then throw some vanilla ice cream and hot fudge and whipped cream on top!

I was good, and I let my KAF brownies rest overnight though.

THE OLD GEEZER — October 1, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You ~Ron

The Small Boston Kitchen — October 2, 2010 at 1:06 pm

HAHA, I totally cracked up at this post for two reasons: I love that you used the expression “Get outta town!” and that you posted the pic of our brownies that were, the best brownies ever. See? We just knew..

Great post, as always!