Layered Marshmallow Brownies

These brownies are amazing. Super-sweet and fudgy and amazing. They have a layer of fudge-like brownie, topped with a layer of marshmallows, and lastly, a sweet chocolate frosting layer. I’ve seen these come up in a variety of blogs over the last year or so since they first appeared Baking Blonde’s blog almost two years ago!

I prefer my brownies nice and thick, so I decided to make the recipe in an 8×8 pan instead of the 9×13 called for in the recipe. The brownie layer did take a significantly longer amount of time to bake, but I think the outcome was worth it.

At first taste, I wasn’t completely sold on these. I had put them in the fridge to cool and after I cut them, I tasted an edge piece. They were a bit too sweet. I’m sure many of you doubt that I could ever think a dessert was too sweet, but I did. They were so sweet in fact, that I didn’t take them with me to the get together as I had planned. I left them out on the counter while I was gone and gave them another taste when I got home. The sweetness had died down, and while they are still very sweet, they weren’t too sweet anymore. So I would definitely recommend serving these at room temperature, not when they’re cold.

I cut them fairly small since they are pretty intense (16 pieces for an 8×8 pan, after trimming off the edges). I took them to work with my and my coworkers thoroughly enjoyed them.

One Year Ago: Chicken Sausage, Spinach, Tomato, and Goat Cheese Quiche
Two Years Ago: Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Dairy Free Mexican Hot Chocolate Frosting

Frosted Marshmallow Brownies – adapted from Baking Blonde

19 Responses to “Dairy Free Chocolate Cookies ‘N Cream Ice Cream”

Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles — January 22, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Yum that looks delicious and welcome back to my hometown! Cincinnati’s actually a great town that grows on you and has been evolving quite a bit in the time that you’ve been away. I suspect given your profession and work location history that we probably work for the same company as our day jobs ;).

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 8:30 am

Yes, Cincinnati has changed a LOT since we moved away in 2007.

I would suspect you’re right. There’s enough info to know where I work, especially if you work here too 😉 Going to go check out your blog now. I would love to meet some other Cincinnati area bloggers!

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 8:31 am

Ok I work for the *other* big company in town (just checked your About page).

Eva @ Eva Bakes — January 23, 2013 at 10:55 am

Isn’t the KA ice cream attachment the best thing ever? I am always making ice cream, even in the wintertime, but I never thought of using canned coconut milk as the base. I’ll have to try this out soon!

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 11:37 am

Absolutely. I didn’t think I could love my KAM any more than I already did. The ice cream attachment proved that I can.

Cara — January 23, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I have lots of cans of coconut milk laying around and I know they make a good ice cream! Adding this one to my list 🙂

tracy {pale yellow} — January 23, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I bought myself KA ice creamer maker for my birthday this summer and I adore it! I’ve been thinking about making non-dairy ice creams, but the recipes all sounded strange. It’s great to see a recipe from a trusted source. Can’t wait to try.

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 10:28 pm

Let me know what you think if you try it. I am going to be experimenting with different milks since I can’t have cow’s milk…

Shannon — January 24, 2013 at 11:08 am

love coconut milk based ice creams!! this one looks fabulous, and good call throwing in those oreos 😉

• beantownbaker — January 24th, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

It’s ALWAYS a good idea to throw oreos in 🙂

Sabine — January 29, 2013 at 12:07 am

My brother’s favorite thing to get at Coldstone is chocolate oreo ice cream. Too bad I don’t have an ice cream maker, or I would definitely try this!

• beantownbaker — January 29th, 2013 @ 7:51 am

I’ve been told you can make ice cream without an ice cream maker. I never tried it before I got mine though…

Mary — January 31, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I just made your recipe and luckily I tasted it before I cooled it. The ratio of sugar to cocoa powder is off. You should use at least twice the amount of sugar to cocoa powder in order for it not to have a horribly bitter taste. After adding more sugar it had a nice sweet to chocolately balance. Thanks for the recipe, my daughter is lactose intolerant and she will enjoy it.

• beantownbaker — January 31st, 2013 @ 2:03 pm

I am glad you were able to adjust this recipe to suit your needs. Hubby and I both enjoyed the sweetness level of this recipe. I’m sure different cocoa powders have different levels of sweetness. I plan to try this recipe without the cocoa powder to make vanilla ice cream too. We loved the creaminess of it!

Efrain Stamper — March 11, 2013 at 3:08 am

This look yummy and chocolate ice cream is one of my favorite. Thanks for sharing the directions and ingredients.

Sara — April 24, 2013 at 9:36 am

I just opened a can of coconut milk and it looked extremely curdled. I shook it a lot but it was still completely curdled. Is that how coconut milk is supposed to be out of the can? Are there any brands that you specifically like to use?

Raigon — October 21, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Oh how I wish I could try this.. I am currently gluten and dairy free.. However this being dairy free is is not gluten free with the oreo’s… Bummer!!

• beantownbaker — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:28 am

I’ve made this recipe again without the Oreos and it’s really good. Not quite as good as with the Oreos, but if you wanted to make it gluten free, just leave them out.