Layered Marshmallow Brownies

These brownies are amazing. Super-sweet and fudgy and amazing. They have a layer of fudge-like brownie, topped with a layer of marshmallows, and lastly, a sweet chocolate frosting layer. I’ve seen these come up in a variety of blogs over the last year or so since they first appeared Baking Blonde’s blog almost two years ago!

I prefer my brownies nice and thick, so I decided to make the recipe in an 8×8 pan instead of the 9×13 called for in the recipe. The brownie layer did take a significantly longer amount of time to bake, but I think the outcome was worth it.

At first taste, I wasn’t completely sold on these. I had put them in the fridge to cool and after I cut them, I tasted an edge piece. They were a bit too sweet. I’m sure many of you doubt that I could ever think a dessert was too sweet, but I did. They were so sweet in fact, that I didn’t take them with me to the get together as I had planned. I left them out on the counter while I was gone and gave them another taste when I got home. The sweetness had died down, and while they are still very sweet, they weren’t too sweet anymore. So I would definitely recommend serving these at room temperature, not when they’re cold.

I cut them fairly small since they are pretty intense (16 pieces for an 8×8 pan, after trimming off the edges). I took them to work with my and my coworkers thoroughly enjoyed them.

One Year Ago: Chicken Sausage, Spinach, Tomato, and Goat Cheese Quiche
Two Years Ago: Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Dairy Free Mexican Hot Chocolate Frosting

Frosted Marshmallow Brownies – adapted from Baking Blonde

12 Responses to “Mini Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownie Cupcakes”

Jecka — April 16, 2010 at 11:53 am

Oh my god… these look amazing! They combine two of my favorite things: cookie dough, and mint-chocolate!

I’ve been trying to find something unique to make for my coworkers (I bake something every weekend for them on Monday) and was sick of making cookies. I’ve been trying to find a yummy mint-chocolate non-cookie to make, and I think this will do the trick!

Jen — April 16, 2010 at 11:57 am

Jecka – These don’t actually have mint in them. But you could definitely add mint to the brownie layer and use mint chips in the cookie dough. It would be quite tasty!

yumventures — April 16, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Those look AMAZING!!! All of my favorite things, rolled into one. So creative 🙂

Sarah — April 16, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I did the same thing Jecka did – I totally read “mini” as “mint”! That’s what you call a yummy mistake! 🙂

Cara — April 16, 2010 at 4:49 pm

These sound awesome! I was thinking of making cookie dough cupcakes for Bake for Hope, but I might make these instead.

HealthJunkie — April 16, 2010 at 9:16 pm

mmmm… My boyfriend would go crazy over those! He and I love cookie dough. I just got a new KitchenAid mixer that I’m looking for recipes to make in. I think your’s will be the first. Thanks for all the great ideas

Kerstin — April 17, 2010 at 2:03 am

Wow, these sound amazing and are right up my alley with that edible cookie dough – yum!!

Memória — April 17, 2010 at 4:31 am

What a great idea!! Wow. I would drizzle some hot chocolate sauce on top to make it even more intense haha. Overkill!

Carrie — April 20, 2010 at 1:11 am

Wow, now those look killer, I love cookie dough and am a sucker for any recipe with those words.

Lucy — April 20, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Oh my gosh these look amazing. LOVE cookie dough, must definitely save this recipe for an empty rainy day 🙂

Maria — April 20, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I love mini cupcakes. These are super cute!

Amanda — May 1, 2010 at 3:19 am

Don’t those look yummy! I think if I open my mouth wide enough I can get it all in one bite, haha. I’ll have to give these a try soon.